Janus case

Discussion in 'General Education' started by czacza, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Feb 27, 2018

I worked in New York City Public Schools, home of one of the strongest teacher's unions in the country. Yeah Randi Weingarten.

2. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Feb 27, 2018

I too have great medical coverage. I pay about $58.00 bi weekly for health, dental and vision. My prescription that I need is free under my health plan. My retirement contribution is decent amount too, I believe our state covers 80% I think. We also have capped classes, and a prep every day. And unless you're in your first two years, they can't fire you without cause, and even in the first two years, there is a process. So, I don't think I'm any worse off than anyone who has a union, and when I did have a union, I didn't want to be part of it, but had to be--if I wasn't a member, the union only takes partial dues, but you still have to pay.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 27, 2018

Yeah, but I don’t pay anything and STILL get all of that.

4. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Feb 27, 2018

I just wish that Georgia had an actual teachers union

Tyler B. likes this.
  5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2018

The fact that this entire thread has boiled down to "Will I make more money?!" and not "what is better for students?" is exactly why I anxiously await the day I am no longer compelled to support a cause with which i do not agree as a condition of my employment.

For those who want to call me a free rider - that is the union's fault. They are the ones who have lobbied for state laws that make them the sole bargaining voice in public schools. I will happily negotiate my own contract as soon as they pay their cronies in Sacramento to change the law.

I pay $60 A MONTH to be a union non-member. I don't even get to vote on the contract that they negotiate, by law, on my behalf. I don't get to speak at meetings. I have no input on negotiations. Why should I have to pay any part of that to have no voice?

6. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Mar 2, 2018

Unions have not just negotiated better pay (although I really wish people would stop acting like I need to defend getting paid well for the very hard work I do). Unions create more equity (as a woman I get paid the same as my male counterparts in spite of the fact that this isn't true in any non-unionized profession in Canada and the stats back this up). Being able to negotiate pay individually is actually a disadvantage as a woman because the odds are stacked against me (the author of Lean In does a great job reviewing the research about this). Unions limit work load to a reasonable level. They ensure I have access to sick leave and other types of leave. They support me if something goes wrong at work. I could go on and on. Our union dues in Ontario are not low but I don't for a minute question their value. None of these things are available to my non-unionized private school teacher colleagues in Ontario.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 2, 2018

Yeah, but come on, didn't you hear, there are a few posters on here that work in some pretty nice non-union schools!
    :rofl:

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2018

And again, not one mention of students.

And even if you want to make the argument that better conditions for teachers means better conditions for students why should anyone be forced to support that position?

a2z likes this.
  9. physteach

physteach Companion

Mar 2, 2018

The purpose of a union is to represent it's members. The students are not a union's members.

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 2, 2018

In Europe, unions consider the students because the primary job of teachers is to teach students.

11. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Mar 2, 2018

Then you are benefiting from the the unions getting higher pay and medical benefits. Your private employer needs to compete with the public sector. You should join the union just so you aren't one of the people who want to benefit but not contribute.

Ms.Holyoke and creativemonster like this.
  12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 2, 2018

This makes zero sense. My school administrators have actually said on numerous occasions that they would pay us more even if public schoolteachers in the area were paid poorly. They have a habit of outbidding the public school teacher salary schedules by several thousand so we get more applicants. It just makes sense economically because that is how you retain and recruit talent. For example, say the starting salary in the area is $38,000 for a 1st-year teacher. My school would offer like $40,000 and better than average annual increases on top of that to outcompete the public school. In fact, they routinely check the teacher salary schedules to make sure that we are more competitive.

I hope the salaries go up for public schoolteachers in the area because that would mean we get a raise, too, and one better than they get!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  13. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2018

So you're saying the better deal public schoolteachers get, the better it is for you...

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 2, 2018

OMG "Prof Joins the Union"

Best. Reality. TV. Show. Ever.

futuremathsprof and 3Sons like this.
  15. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Mar 2, 2018

And slightly less poorly if public school teachers were paid poorly.

16. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2018

I couldn't agree more, which is why I want no part of being in the teacher's union.

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 2, 2018

Such a noble guy----do you donate all of your disposable income to your students?

czacza and svassillion like this.
  18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 3, 2018

Hahaha!

19. physteach

physteach Companion

Mar 3, 2018

What I am reading into this is that you think an organization whose mission it is to focus on one group of people should instead focus on another. That isn't how it works.

Backroads likes this.
  20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2018

During negotiations, our federation focuses on issues like smaller class sizes, more supports for our vulnerable students, greater recognition of the importance of professional judgement when planning, evaluating and reporting, addressing the growing issue of violence in the workplace, job stability and transparency in hiring practices.These all translate into better conditions for our students. Unfortunately, when we are engaged in negotiations, salary and benefits tend to get all of the (often negative) press.

For me, a salary increase is nice, but doesn't make a huge difference in my quality of life. Not having adequate supports and resources for my students does impact theirs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.