IXL vs. Khan Academy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Oct 10, 2016.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2016

Beyond just the problem solving math menus that I have for my kiddos that are already at mastery with content we're working on in class, I want to be able to extend them further...and within that quest, I've started looking more at the use of Khan Academy (which I already link to as another resource for kids to take a look at if they want to hear a different model of what we learn in class) possibly more extensively in the classroom in addition to the problem solving work that I already have them doing. The latter is more a topic all of its own...ha...so let me get to the main inquiry for this thread:

Has anyone used Khan Academy more extensively that could share their thoughts on it? Especially relative to IXL?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2016

I talked to a colleague who apparently used it for a few kiddos last year with relative success (it wasn't year-long)...I'm thinking of less a flipped-model, and instead a replacement model: a few really strong ones receiving separate instruction on a skill while I'm doing instruction that won't help them grow.

4. Learning Hypothesis

Learning Hypothesis Rookie

Oct 12, 2016

I have had mixed results with Khan Academy, but I think it really depends on the student. Math IXL has been a total waste of time in my opinion. The big negative to me with Khan Academy was that the student has to get so many correct in a row before moving on. If he/she make a keyboarding error they have to stay with that concept much longer than needed to move forward. Some students can find that very irritating.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2016

What was interesting to me when I was testing it out pretending I was a student, was that if I had put in an extra symbol, or perhaps just forgot to simplify, that it let me know before marking it wrong. Still, if you put in 16 instead of 17, it would say it's wrong, but it certainly seemed at least a bit better than IXL in that regard, which pretty much marks it wrong if it isn't exactly what is expected.

I agree that IXL has seemed to not be as useful of time as one might initially expect: those already at mastery with concepts don't need to practice them again and again (perhaps with the exception of driving accuracy) and instead need new concepts instructed first before doing them...and those not at mastery seem to get frustrated with it.

The "depending on the student" seems to match with what a colleague was saying: she really only selected a few students to work on it - ones that would be able to function independently, would be on task, and that were well at mastery with the current concept.

6. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Oct 12, 2016

I've used Khan Academy quite a lot with my small group/resource kiddos, but I tend to use portions of it rather than doing the entire grade level's material.

My younger students (3rd/4th) are always thrilled when they get to watch any kind of video, so it holds their attention really well. Because my groups move at a much slower pace, we might watch one or two videos related to a concept that they are struggling with and then practice it (off and on) for a day or two.

I appreciate how the videos really break the math down in to steps and actually explain why things are done a certain way. The videos related to regrouping were extremely helpful for my students who struggle with basic number sense, and most of them seem to really understand the reasoning behind it now.

For whatever reason, my 5th grade students hate the videos- they say they don't like the narrator's voice, for some reason- so I have done less of it with them, but I did find it really helpful when we reviewed order of operations- they all aced their test, so I don't care if they whined a little :)

I have less experience with iXL as my district mainly uses it in middle school, but from what I have seen iXL seems to be better for review and practice. Khan Academy can be used with main instruction, for reviewing, and for reteaching.

7. LorixC

LorixC Rookie

Nov 28, 2017

We've also tried out Khan and IXL and really found them sometimes frustrating and not what we were hoping to gain. The kids have been using Beestar for awhile now and they've responded pretty well to the different concepts provided. They really like the positive reinforcement they get from the honor roll system so that has been a big bonus.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 28, 2017

What I've learned over the years is that there is no one best resource for absolutely everyone, and that's fine. (By the way, this is true absolutely across the curriculum.) If kid A does fine with Khan, then let kid A use Khan. If kid B is vexed by Khan - and this happens - then it makes perfect sense to have some other options for kid B. I myself would probably be a bit happier with www.mathsisfun.com - but that's me.

mathmagic likes this.
  9. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2017

Yes, I completely agree with that!

Of course, Khan Academy never got approved for kids to use while at school, so that's out the window anyways. I just don't get fancy and stick to what we've done in the past :).