It's a beautiful day outside...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Apr 23, 2018

Weather is sunny, in the 70s. I'm not having a bad day, just an off day, and I think my students are the same. My "stinker" kiddos aren't really being mean, they just want to play.

I sort of want to use Social Studies to go play on the giant painted map on the blacktop and declare it a lesson.

What do you do on those sorts of days?

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2018

Call off ???:rolleyes:

Go outside and find some ‘window of opportunity”.

Go to lunch, and have a mysterious car problem....

Have an art lesson outside.

Have lunch recess.

Did you say 70???

:( Maybe around June....It will happen here.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Apr 23, 2018

The day just got more distracting. I wandered off to check my teacher mailbox and found coupons for free ice cream at this one place including a coupon for teacher!

5. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Apr 23, 2018

This is an awesome idea. Have them find states and see who can find it first!

Or just take a 10-15 minute "brain break" and go outside. ;)

I usually just extended my recesses last year on days like this, and if the kids were really struggling to sit still we'd go out a bit early or I'd let them "earn" an extra recess by rewarding the slightest positive behaviors. We did that anyway, but I'd make it easier on weather-related "off" days.

Backroads likes this.
  6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2018

While I think there's plenty of importance on building the stamina of working even when it's nice outside, as well as to not develop an expectation of nice day = will be outside doing things, there are lots of fun things you could do:

Geometry (draw certain shapes or using certain attributes)
    Adding/subtracting (basic multiplication?) using chalk
    Geography, like you said
    Give them parts of a sentence, they move around to create a complete sentence
    Do some art/science study outside related to what you're doing in either
    etc...
    Granted, probably easier to come up with them outside of being "in the moment" :)

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 23, 2018

Have them take something to write on and do a worksheet outside with a partner. They're still practicing, but they love getting to sit in the sun. :cool:

Backroads likes this.
  8. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 23, 2018

Sounds just like my pet tortoise!

Backroads likes this.
  9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 23, 2018

Bring some books outside and do buddy reading. It’s also okay to go outside and just let them run and blow off some steam.

A map painted on the blacktop sounds amazing!

Backroads likes this.
  10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 23, 2018

It was 87 degrees today in my area of CA. Much too warm for this time of year!

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2018

This is basically my feeling any time it goes above the upper 70s here. In the portable, and especially this year with the very large class, it begins to get a bit too warm in here!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 24, 2018

Our portables get ridiculously hot! Our upper grade portables get stinky, too, this time of year. I always remind our boys: Axe spray is not deodorant!

MrsC likes this.
  13. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 24, 2018

The old "deodorant vs anti-perspirant" conversation.. my husband had to have this with our 16 year old German exchange student...

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 24, 2018

I just remember the longing to be outdoors from my own elementary school experiences as a student. But, now I live in Florida and, not to make you feel bad, but almost all days are absolutely beautiful. Really. Some are quite hot, though, and I always scheduled free time and play time in the classroom and used games in most review times.

15. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 24, 2018

When students began to show signs of excessive energy which interfered with their ability to concentrate, I would sometimes spontaneously take them outside and challenge them to a race around the track. Even though I would always win, it was great fun for everyone and brought the energy level back down to normal.

For a nice change, take your class out to a shady spot (on the grass beneath some trees or at some shaded picnic tables) for a modified lesson or activity. Just be sure to set some strict guidelines for behavior with the threat of going back into the hot classroom if they don’t comply. If it works out, you might even suggest to the class that you would consider "outdoor ed." say once a week with their full cooperation. (Assign the naughtiest kid the most important job such as helping to carry your box of supplies outside.) Everyone will look forward (and back) to the beautiful days with your class!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  16. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Apr 25, 2018

I take my high school English classes outside and just let them walk the track, sit and socialize in the sun, or sometimes they grab a ball and start up a game of kickball on the football field. I walk the track, usually just shooting the breeze with some of my kids, or even by myself just for the exercise and sunshine. There comes a point when the spring fever is so bad and they are so full of themselves that trying to keep them focused in the classroom on anything just seems futile. Unless they are taking a PE or dance class, most of them spend the entire day sitting in desks listening to teachers, reading, writing, doing math, staring at a computer screen. Ours only get a 10 minute break in the morning and 25 minutes for lunch. 35 minutes of their day when they aren't in a classroom, and even lunch time is pretty locked down. They have to stay seated at their lunch tables and are not allowed to leave the cafeteria without permission from a faculty member (both admins, SRO, guidance counselors, and a few teachers sit in the cafeteria at every lunch period).
    Literally the only time they are allowed to walk around the school freely is that 10-minute morning break. And they're never allowed to go outside of the building unless a teacher takes a class out. It can't be good for them.

I don't mind giving up some instruction time to let them stretch their legs and have fun. Luckily, my administrators are cool with it. We don't do it often, but when the weather turns pretty, I try to get every class out at least once during the semester.

Backroads likes this.
  17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2018

Not to hijack :whistle:

Kudos to everyone finding good reasons to take your class outside!!

Has anyone noticed the cable companies and cell phone ads are pushing us and our kids to “take your movies and TV outside”. Why waste a beautiful day by proping a laptop in your lawn chair??

I waited all winter to get back outside. The only screen I want to see is a screen door! Forgive me if I drop off the radar soon. I’ve seen more teachers who use the videos on computers as an excuse to sort files and clean the room. And we’ve had some nice days when we could be out playing!!
    No laptops, phones or computer games on Fridays. I’m going outside with my class!!

Backroads likes this.
  18. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Apr 28, 2018

For my class, when we are close to summer (June), the other Academic delay SC teachers and I plan a water day and class picnic. Done on separate days.
    We have made a bit of an agreement to minimize instruction during June. By the 2nd week of June, we just plan a bunch of fun days. During these strictly fun days, my class and the primary class schedule circle time in the morning and maybe a math lesson. The upper elem. teacher schedules independent work time until lunch.
    Spring....learning when we feel like it. Towards the end of the year (late May, early June), I always think my students have worked hard this year and the performance shown so far is probably the absolute limit. I like to schedule fun days.
    Yes, I am that annoying teacher that always plans for a pizza party bi-weekly and brings in desserts for snack time. Yes, I did let my students watch a movie on Thursday instead of do work.