It is going to be a LONG year!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 22, 2012

I'm not too sure where you read that anyone is complaining about teaching students with special needs/higher needs... It appears to me that the poster is "feeling" for the teacher that has the majority of the special needs/higher needs students placed in his class every school year. He must be a great teacher but if this was you wouldn't you love to have a year where you will know that all of the special needs/higher needs students would be shared equally between all teacher?

I work in a school where 100% of our students have been diagnosed with a severe behaviorial/emotional disability (many also have learning disabilities, autism, have been abused, are in foster care or involved in the system, cognitive delays etc..) and the teacher across the hall from me has a class that all of us are glad that we don't have. We are working at this school because we love teaching this population but it doesn't mean that any of us would switch classes with this other teacher. Some years it is nice to get a class that "clicks" early in the year but I think always having the class that you know will always be "rocking" will be very stressful (although rewarding once it's settled) after a couple of years. I get all of the students that do not fit any other special needs program in my district even though they do not fit into my class' description -- do I like it all of the time...no, but I learn a lot from working with these students and their families. Do I have days where I wish that I could explain an assignment and have my students follow the directions or call my students to line up and then have all of my students line up without monitoring for physical aggression...ummm...yes!

2. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 22, 2012

On the state test there is a question asking what the three states of matter are. Some of them wrote Texas, Kentucky, etc. it was painful to read:banghead:

And yes, they had learned the states of matter.

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 22, 2012

You have a class of nine and one assistant?? If anyone "doesn't get it" I would think it would be you. Many schools are not as lucky as you and have a class full of SPED kids (diagnosed or not) and do not have the resources you do. Sometimes it is not that easy

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 22, 2012

ecteach, I think you have used semantics to draw an unnecessary conclusion (ahem). Giraffe used the term 'dumped on' and you immediately got your hackles up. I can't imagine any teacher here not realizing that every child needs his or her needs met and every child deserves an education. And still, most teachers would acknowledge that some classes are more challenging than others. We are here to share some of those challenges with each other, not to get picked on when we do.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 22, 2012

Test question: What did William Penn allow in his colony?

My favorite test answer of all time: Pets

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 22, 2012

:lol:

I do a landforms project with my class each year. They have to give the definition of the landform, draw a picture, and locate that landform on a California map. We do words like peninsula, lake, cave, valley, etc.

One of the words is mouth. Each year someone in the class draws a face with a big, wide open mouth, no matter how many times we talk about words with multiple meanings, no matter how many times we talk about context.

And, quite often, I get a picture of Superman for cape.

7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 22, 2012

I have 9 students who happen to have severe disabilities. All of my students have IQ's under 60. Most are way below 60. I have some who are non-ambulatory. I have some who are still in diapers in middle school.

I feel very confident that I get it. I teach the general curriculum to THESE students, so I just don't see how people can't teach it to kids who a team determined are eligible for services in the general ed environment.

So, you are telling me you don't have any self-contained classes in your county? Maybe these issues arise because the students are not being placed in their LRE. In that case, something needs to be done.

From now on, I will try to be more PC. Maybe I flew off of the handle for no reason. I just didn't like the "dumped on" wording.

Perhaps I am taking the worst of a situation and implying that everyone feels that way.

But, the original poster did not answer my question when I asked what she meant that in any other county these kids would be put out. Where does she want them put?

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 22, 2012

A couple of years ago I asked a question on a Science test about why humans couldn't live on Pluto and one of my students wrote "Because there are dwarfs on it and they are mean"
    I guess we had talked about Pluto being a dwarf planet too much.

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 22, 2012

:lol:

This is what I'm talking about where kids never really understand what is meant by the word. We might think the do or they may even get it for a short bit (then it is out of that memory bucket)....

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2012

Last year on a SS test I had a question about why a certain explorer left Europe, what their motivations for exploration were. One student wrote he was looking for seashells. Loved that kid- but really- sea shells???

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 22, 2012

I love all of those answers!!!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

EXACTLY!!!!
    I love my class. I was just giving some back ground information about them. The one teacher I was referring to gets a very high needs class every year of about 30 students. They are never divided equally in 4th grade.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

I am just amazed that they got to 5th grade without being taught this. I admit they had a rough year last year. However, I teach at a school that consistently is the top performing school in my 40 school school district. I've taught the same grade level for 6 years and used the same test every year. For a few years I ONLY taught science. I have given that test 11 times. So we are talking 275 students or so. This was the first time I ever had anyone ask that!

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

Oh my! That is funny! Although, I'm sure it was not funny to you at the time!

I always make my kids learn to label the 50 states on the map. Every year I get at least 1 kid that labels North Carolina wrong. :tired:

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

The original poster (myself) never posted that. Someone else did. Again, you are misconstruing information.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

Too cute!

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

My favorite answer from last year:

Q- Do you think that we should attempt to take frozen water from the two-thirds of our fresh water supply that is frozen? Why or why not?

A- No, because if we used frozen water our showers would be to cold.

This was from a G/T student!!! I took a picture (which is how I know everything word for word). It still makes me smile!

18. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 22, 2012

Oh, my bad. It was GoBlue who said that. His/her post just sounded so similar to yours that I combined the two in my head. Sorry.

19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 22, 2012

Oh, and you replied to the post that was in response to his/her post. So, I guess I just got confused. I was in no way trying to "misconstrue information."

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

Apology accepted. And I was not accusing you of anything.

"mis·con·strue
       [mis-kuhn-stroo or, especially Brit., mis-kon-stroo] mis·con·strued, mis·con·stru·ing.
    to misunderstand the meaning of; take in a wrong sense; misinterpret."