Is this unethical?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Sep 6, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2014

We have to put our lesson plan binders in our mailboxes at the end of the day on Friday. I sometimes leave late. I looked at someone's binder to get some ideas, because I'm having difficulties with my plan format. Do you think that's unethical? Would you look negatively at someone who peeked in your binder? I have mixed feelings. It was truly for educational purposes. Not to "check up" on them or to see if they were doing enough. Just trying to learn and get new ideas. Thank you for your comments.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 6, 2014

I would just ask some people if I could see their lesson plans. I don't know if it's unethical to peek at someone's in the mailbox but but I don't think I'd mind if someone saw mine. I saw someone's lesson plans that were left in the printer one day so I looked at them. Mine were better so I didn't get any good ideas!

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 6, 2014

I think it is a bit sketchy. Just ask if you want to know. Don't sneak.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 6, 2014

It's a bit odd, maybe not unethical. I would definitely ask for permission from the teacher first.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 6, 2014

I think it would be great if teachers got to see what colleagues were doing with their lessons. Most people have great ideas. Only one time I wished I hadn't asked to see someone's plans was when I first started at my new school I asked the teacher across the hall (who DID tell me to feel free to ask for help at any time) if I could take a look at her lesson plans to see if I was doing them the right way. What she showed me was utter CR*P and I think she was somewhat embarrassed by them. The most recent one she had was dated July and it was January at the time. I at least learned how NOT to write them!! That's always helpful I guess :woot:
    (and this is the teacher that can't handle her kids...maybe it's because she has crappy lessons and they don't like her class :whistle:)
    Ok, vent ended lol

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 6, 2014

Would you like people sneaking into your lesson plan for ideas and using those ideas without your permission and passing them off as their own?

I believe people should work together, but you aren't working together. You are not able to come up with your own ideas and stealing other's ideas. Unethical? Yes. Taking other people's ideas without permission and creating plans based off of someone else's work is unethical.

Ask them if you can look at what they do. Also, try to see how they connect the idea to the standards they are teaching and see if you can see the types of connections they make. This will help you learn how to make the connections needed to generate ideas.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 6, 2014

It's pretty sneaky/sketchy. Just ask!

9. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 6, 2014

I don't know about unethical, but I do think it's kind of rude especially since they were in that person's binder and in their box (though you may not have been meaning to be rude, of course). I would ask first ;)

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2014

I'm at a new school. We had very different expectations for lesson plans there. I haven't been able to find a plan that works for me. We really don't run into each other when they leave their books. I left yesterday at 5:30 and looked at a two that were a grade above. I don't like my left to right format, and was looking for a different perspective. I also wasn't sure how much we needed to include.

They weren't there, or I would have asked them. I admit, I didn't want to appear lame. I'm searching for a better way, because mine are hard for me to read. Overall it's harmless, but I do think it is a little sketchy.

I wouldn't mind AT ALL if someone looked at mine while in the mailbox, as long as it wasn't to judge me or rat me out for something. But that's just me...

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 6, 2014

It wouldn't bother me. Might wonder why you didn't just ask though.

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2014

Thanks all. I appreciate your input. I was looking for a model to go by. I had no idea who to ask. Some, at a glance, were horrible. A few were wonderful. I have a much better picture due to my sleuthing. But I do feel "sneaky Pete" about it.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2014

I wouldn't care less if you (or anyone) looked at my LPs without asking me first. I have real problems to worry about at work.

14. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 6, 2014

We have to put ours on the computer and anyone can look at them!! AS Blue said,with all of our duties, who has time to look at all of them???

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 6, 2014

I wouldn't mind sharing at all if someone asked to see my plans, but I would feel really weird about someone "sneaking" and getting them out of my mailbox.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 6, 2014

We post ours online, so anyone at our school has access to them. I would have no problem with anyone looking at them. If they were in a binder like you mentioned, I also wouldn't mind, at all. Now, if you came to my room and read them in my binder there, I might wonder, but it wouldn't bother me. I think teacher being competitive over lesson plans is silly. We work as a team at my school. If someone needs inspiration and chooses to take it from my meager lesson plans, I would be honored.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 6, 2014

I'm assuming the OP didn't ask anyone at the time because she was there late and nobody else was around. I really like the idea of lesson plans being available on the computer for everyone to see. Not to "steal" but to get ideas.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2014

I would have a problem with it.

One year, my old P decided she wanted us to post our lesson plans on a website so we could see each others' plans. (It only lasted a year since no one actually looked at each others' plans. Who has time for that?!) I did not have a problem with that.

The difference? I knew I was sharing things in the second situation. If someone peeked at my stuff without my knowledge, I'd feel uncomfortable. It is a trust issue. I would immediately think 'what else will they do behind my back'. I don't have a problem sharing and would hand my planbook over if asked.

ETA- I didn't read the responses before I posted. I'm laughing since a lot of us seem to have had to post them online, but no one actually looks at each others.

19. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 6, 2014

We do ours as a grade level (a different person is responsible each 9 weeks for a different subject - there are 8 of us) and they are posted on line. Anyone in the school can see them.

20. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 6, 2014

The stealing part comes in because of not obtaining permission. On-line systems where everyone posts their lesson plans so everyone can see gives implied permission or forced (by admin) permission.

I've heard many teachers claim others stole their ideas when the person uses ideas without permission. Making a copy of something left on the copy machine and modifying it slightly and re-using it would be deemed stealing. I've even heard and read others call that stealing because permission wasn't obtained.

As I said before, I'm all for sharing, with permission. As another poster said, if I found out someone was sneaking my ideas and using them behind my back, trust for that person is gone because I don't know what else the person will sneak to obtain.

21. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 6, 2014

I think if the OP were taking ideas for lessons and passing them off as their own, it would be unethical. But, from what I can understand, the OP was looking for a template.

Are people really that protective over their lesson plan templates?

Would I mind? Probably not. I'd think it a little weird you didn't ask, but I'd get over it.