Is this allowed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissB123, Aug 22, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

We have more than that many faculty/staff at my private school and we all conservatively use reply all. Again, this seems like a non-issue to me.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

The culture of every school is different. If it takes one minute to open and read each email, that's as much as an hour a week spent looking at emails. We prioritize our time differently.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 24, 2018

Any updates on your conversation with your principal?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 24, 2018

Example from this week (an email to all vice principals from district office): Beginning of year data was due yesterday. Lots of schools have not submitted Forms A & B. Please scan and return this morning.

One of my colleagues used reply all to say thank you.

I get so many important emails throughout the day. The very last thing I want to do is have to open up and read an unnecessary email.

5. futuremathsprof

Aug 24, 2018

Can’t you just discard it or ignore it, then?

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 24, 2018

I still open and read all my emails--just in case they're important. I don't want to inadvertently miss something.

bella84 and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  7. futuremathsprof

Aug 24, 2018

Right, and that’s totally fine. We just use it seldomly. It’s not a constant thing, just once a week maybe, if that.

8. futuremathsprof

Aug 24, 2018

I like that work ethic, though. Very thorough.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

I'm also realizing that many of us use social media the way others may use mass emails. Most of us have professional Twitter accounts, in addition to accounts for all of the clubs/sports we sponsor. So if we are promoting something school-related we usually do it by social media. If it's not school-related, we usually don't promote it at school. We are not allowed to do any side business sales or fundraisers for outside groups unless approved by the school. We have a faculty Google Classroom and Google Drive where we share instructional resources. We use email really only for instruction-related issues and announcements.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 24, 2018

If you need to send a mass email, use BCC and then if someone hits REPLY ALL it won't go to all.

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Aug 24, 2018

I think it really depends on the principal!
    I did this at my last school (invited/informed everyone to/of Red Robin's free burger night for teachers), and even the principal replied "how fun!"
    But I wouldn't dare do it at my current school (same district)

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

And that’s the opposite of my pet peeve - meaning I’m pleased with what you do. I cannot stand when someone doesn’t read their email and then acts as if they weren’t made aware of information. Drives me crazy. I read every single email I get, and I keep my inbox lean. I, too, hate when people clutter the inbox with a reply all thank you. Just send a thank you to the individual! The rest of us don’t need to read that.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 25, 2018

And the rest of us ESPECIALLY don't need to read when three or four other butt-kissers respond with "yes, thank you!" after seeing the first thank you.

14. futuremathsprof

Aug 25, 2018

Wow, public schoolteachers are very bitter.

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

It's not a public school or even teachers in general thing. Stop trying to turn every discussion into public school v. private school. Most people in general don't like getting unnecessary emails that clog up the inbox. Teachers aren't unique in that way - regardless of what type of school they work in.

16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 25, 2018

I'm only bitter because those damn private school teachers won't stop overgeneralizing.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 25, 2018

I know at least 1 insurance company that is pressuring the districts and schools they insure to encourage teachers to not do group e-mails at school to non-sponsored school events. At least 1 insurance company I am aware of believes that if a teacher e-mails all staff at schools, "Hey let's go to this special teacher's event on Thursday after school" and there is a major car accident with injuries or a fatality, the school or district might get sued. Yes, it seems crazy, but in this lawsuit happy world, it is not unthinkable.

To OP, I think P is just being careful. I doubt she or he is upset at all. I am guessing meeting was more of just a reminder of a school policy.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  18. futuremathsprof

Aug 25, 2018

I can only speak about those teachers/admin who I speak with the most, who just so happen to be public school teachers/directors. Sometimes, it’s just constant snarkiness and pettiness about the slightest things, when these teachers/admin should just move on and focus on more important matters.

19. futuremathsprof

Aug 25, 2018

This is a valid reason and makes sense.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 25, 2018

While you do have many good posts, I question this one. There are so many public school teachers and principals that have been so helpful to my teaching in this forum, that I cringe when I see them being cruelly stereotyped. Stereotypes and prejudice do little but help lead us to lies. You have shown you are an intelligent person through many good and helpful posts. Let's keep it positive and avoid the cheap shots.

czacza and bella84 like this.