Is this allowed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissB123, Aug 22, 2018.

1. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Aug 22, 2018

I am fairly new to this district that I'm in, I worked in other districts before where they are very lenient. I sent out an e-mail to all of my colleagues and principal asking if they would like to go to a free teacher event. It's for after school hours on a weekend.

The principal emailed me back saying we need to talk about this.

Was I not allowed to invite my colleagues out? It is not a school function, I invited many of my friends + colleagues so I did not see that I needed permission such as a christmas party etc.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2018

What is ‘allowed’ can vary from school to school, administrator to administrator. Tread lightly until you know ‘the rules’. In the meantime, given that this was a teacher event, you’ve got enthusiasm for teaching and the best of intentions on your side. Let us know how the convo with P goes.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 22, 2018

If sent on your private email, it might have been OK. If sent on the school email, not OK.

Backroads likes this.
  5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 22, 2018

It does seem it was not OK in the OP's particular school, but people do it all the time via school email in my district. Sometimes it's even the admin sending it out. I think it varies by building so I don't think we can really answer this question as we don't know the building culture.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2018

As a general rule, if you're sending something out to all staff, it should be something you've either already vetted by an administrator, or something directly related to the work you are doing in the school. If this were me, I would have just emailed it to my team and other teachers that I was friendly with... or skipped the email altogether and given them a paper copy of an invite.

Backroads and MissCeliaB like this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2018

This!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2018

I had a teacher selling those Thirty-One bags via school email during contracted hours (while she should've been teaching). Had to have a chat with her. Not okay.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2018

My school was clear that they did not want us to reply all or send something to the whole staff without getting it approved by admin. I honestly don't think what you did was bad though and would probably be normal at other schools. The school I student taught at did this a lot and my mentor teacher replied all a lot!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 22, 2018

I would welcome admin stepping in to shut those kind of invites down. I just ignore them, but would prefer not to receive them in the first place. While on the subject, though, I find my place of employment's constant fund raising emails just as annoying, and I know that there is nothing I can do about those besides using the delete button. I get fund raising, but by the time employees are hounded by mail and email, it does not make me feel very generous. (Sorry, my own little vent.)

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2018

No one would think twice about it here, but every school is different. I'm sure your P will let you know what their policy is. The only things I've ever seen us be told not to send out to the whole staff is anything political, which obviously makes sense.

otterpop likes this.
  12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 22, 2018

We have to have approval for anything sent out to the whole faculty.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2018

I hate reply all! Especially when people use reply all to say thank you! That's one of my biggest pet peeves!

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2018

Reply all is one of my biggest pet peeves too! When I have to send out a large email, I use BCC just so people can't reply all. I especially love when people reply all and really shouldn't be replying all given the content of the message!

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 22, 2018

This wouldn't be an issue in any of the three schools I've worked in. I can't imagine the level of micromanagement involved in saying that anything sent out to the whole staff has to be approved first! I mean, I worked for a complete nut job at my second school and even she didn't say that. At my first school and the school I currently work at, it's common to get things like happy hour invitations via the school email.

Even though it seems like a ridiculous policy to me, if the P says it's not allowed just say, "I'm sorry I didn't know the policy. Thank you for clarifying."

17. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 22, 2018

I guess it depends on the school. At my school they regularly sound out invites for "book clubs" at the Mexican restaurant down the street. :)

otterpop likes this.
  18. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Aug 23, 2018

We had one teacher who did this for every email we were sent last year.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 23, 2018

We have almost 100 faculty/staff on our campus. If everyone sent information to the whole faculty/staff even once a week, that is a lot of e-mails. Instead, we email information to the principal, and she lets people know about the important stuff, by sending basically a digest each day that compiles all the information. I much prefer our system!

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

Is it really that big of a deal if someone thanks all of the staff members with reply all? Getting annoyed at that seems like a non-issue to me.

21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

This seems like a real reason to get annoyed.