Is this a fair system? Constructive criticism and thoughts.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Dec 11, 2017.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Dec 11, 2017

Sometimes, very rarely and once in awhile there is something a child does that is deplorable, but you have no way to pinpoint who did it. For EXAMPLE, today, in the room I was in- one student threw a book toward my head while my back was turned and I was writing out assignments on the board. It missed me, but still.

This is something where I NEED to know who did it and somebody in the class knows. Problem is, nobody wants to be labeled a "snitch". So I came up with an idea fellow teacher of mine used in high school. I gave each kid a post-it note and asked them to take out something to write with. I then explained how it would work:
    1) If you know who it was, now is your chance to write their name down and report them anonymously.
    2) If you don't know who it is, write down "I don't know" on the post-it.
    3) Once you have written down something, fold it and I will come pick them up.
    This way, EVERYONE writes something down and EVERYONE turns something in. No way to know who wrote what or snitched on who. The post-it notes are all uniform unlike writing on their own paper etc.

Well, overwhelmingly, it came to 75% of the class naming a specific person and the other 25% saying I don't know/didn't see. The student who was accused says it is an unfair system because "everyone is targeting him". However he was sitting from the direction it came and was one of my prime suspects.

Any thoughts?
    I would not use this system unless it was something serious/dangerous. It worked really well when I was in high school and a student pulled the emergency shower in the science lab and it flooded everywhere.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 11, 2017

I would think this is a pretty good system, however it is possible that the majority of the kids would target one kid. Basically a form of bullying. So I'm not sue if I would be using it, because you cannot be 100 % sure it was that person.
    This is why I like having cameras in my classroom.

4. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Dec 11, 2017

I personally like it.

And no, I don't think it's in the same field as bullying. It's anonymous and personalized. No one should be seeing who wrote what, so there really is no conceivable way for the whole class to gang up on one person--as long as you confront the winning perpetrator privately.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 11, 2017

Maybe not bullying, but I thought about this scenario in our school. There is a student, very smart, super polite kid, but he has been a victim of bullying in the past (in other schools) due to his personality and differences. I could totally see quite a few kids putting his name down, even f they didn't get a chance to discuss it. Probably not the whole class, but a group of kids. Sadly.

6. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Dec 11, 2017

That is sad.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Dec 11, 2017

But 75%?

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 11, 2017

I used this strategy once. It worked, and even the student that committed the offense wrote his own name on his paper, with a long apology.

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  9. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Dec 11, 2017

The kid did admit it when I confronted him with the votes... so there is that.

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Dec 11, 2017

I guess my concern is a little different. It seems like a real waste of class time to be passing out and collecting post-its in that fashion.

11. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Dec 11, 2017

It's not so bad. Besides, at the point I did it- everyone had mostly turned in their assignments and it was just downtime. I didn't do it immediately,

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Dec 11, 2017

Makes sense. It definitely has its merits, provided it's used sparingly.

13. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Dec 11, 2017

Very sparingly. I've used it twice in 4 years. The last time it was when a student threw a chair at another student......

14. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 12, 2017

I wouldn't say it's very fair since, as has been pointed out, the student named could be the victim of mass bullying, which certainly does happen.

It's much like how communist countries such as North Korea and Russia under Stalin during "the terror" handled things. You are asked to squeal on your neighbors, which keeps everybody in check.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. If a chair was thrown at me, and I didn't know exactly who did it before turning around, I'd take a long hard look at why something like that even happened. After over 20 years in front of the board, I've never had anything thrown at me, other than a very few angry glances.

How can you be sure that an anonymous jury is telling the truth? I couldn't, so I wouldn't.

I'll admit that your idea is probably going to net the guilty party, but.... no, I couldn't do it.

15. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Dec 12, 2017

No, out of the corner of your eye, you saw exactly who did it. And you were forward-thinking enough to enlist students to collaborate your report, knowing that the little miscreant would lie once confronted.

What about your right not to have a book thrown at your head? I think that should factor into this equation.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  16. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Dec 12, 2017

Yes this!! A safe work place