Is there anyone here who was a classroom teacher but is now a para?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by IcyRock, Oct 25, 2018.

1. IcyRock

IcyRock Rookie

Oct 25, 2018

Just was curious why you may have made the career move.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 26, 2018

I went from being a teacher to a teaching assistant so I could go back to school for a year. It worked out great and because I was able to focus on going back to school I have a great new teaching job.

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Oct 26, 2018

I am trying to get a para job now. I have teaching experience. I have only had 2 interviews for para.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 26, 2018

I haven't done this personally but I know several people who have. In their case, their spouse made enough money for them to be able to take the significant pay in cut. They wanted to continue working in schools and being on the school schedule (with holidays and weekends off, etc.) without having to take work home or deal with the stress of being the one in charge.

Even if it were a financial possibility for me, I don't think I'd do it. Our paras get stuck with the worst parts of the job- mostly dealing with severe behaviors and "babysitting" all day. I can see the advantage of not having to take things home or feel like you're the one being held accountable for all of the decisions, but no way would I want to do what they do all day.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2018

Taking a para job would be a HUGE pay cut for me and truthfully I wouldn’t be comfortable in that role.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 29, 2018

8. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Oct 30, 2018

I would not at this point in my career... maybe when I'm closer to retirement. I'm thinking about becoming a principal so that would be a step in the wrong direction.

9. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Nov 1, 2018

I have not. However, I know a teacher who did it because she felt she could not be there for her family as a full-time teacher. While they were not well off, they were very strict with finances. She decided that being a para worked out so well for her family that she never went back to teaching.

10. Guitart

Guitart Rookie

Nov 2, 2018

I left a high paying I.T. career and got a job as a para. This started my journey to become a teacher.
    Becoming a teacher was a pay cut, in-half, for me but now I love my profession and I'm proud to tell people I'm a teacher. It has been worth the sacrifice of all that extra cash and material things.
    I did not jump into teaching. I prepared for the day to take a less paying job. We did not upgrade our home, we paid off cars, I got rid of toys (jetskis, 69' Camaro, boat), my wife started started working from home (saving daycare money).

11. pommom

pommom Comrade

Nov 4, 2018

This is me! This is my son's last year before he starts school. We barely see my husband due to his demanding job as a manager which requires lots of traveling. I have taught before, but I knew at this point of my life I cannot be bringing home essays and lesson plans.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2018

NJ pensions are figured on average of last three years’ salary. Taking a para job could seriously limit one’s retirement finances!

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Nov 11, 2018

Not exactly but I went from classroom teacher to substitute teaching because I wanted to work part-time.
    Ended up long-term subbing vacancies so I'm still working full-time but without benefits :rolleyes:

HOWEVER, I get paid more as a LTS than I did as a full-time classroom teacher (our district pays subs well due to our teacher shortage. Many classrooms are filled by subs) so it works out. I don't need benefits due to my husband's great job & benefits.