Is there any way to turn this around????

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by rebeccals, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:58 PM.

1. rebeccals

rebeccals New Member

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Y'all. I'm a first year teacher and I am LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSING MY SHIT.

I entered the classroom four weeks late (last-minute job transfer) with a very vague notion of classroom management and consequently my classroom is a freaking zoo. My students yell at me, don't do their work, shout out continuously while I'm talking and constantly disrespect me (to my face or by stealing my stuff--and breaking it--behind my back). Oh yeah, I'm also pretty bad at spotting these things. I'm working on it, but the eyes haven't grown into the back of my head yet...

Naturally, the more my students scream the lower my management skills sink, so my relationship with these kiddos is pretty much nonexistent too.

I think next year will be better since I'll have a better idea of how to implement a strong CM plan and STICK with it throughout the rest of the year. It feels the kids' expectations are so entrenched now that there won't be a lot of change this year. But trudging through the rest of the semester in this madhouse is like torture.

I don't know what I'm looking for, either advice or sympathy or just commiseration... (is anyone else's classroom this bad?!?!).... But I had to get it out because sometimes I think that this classroom is LITERALLY driving me crazy.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:01 PM

What grade?

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:11 PM

It is possible to reset, although it is difficult, and it will probably never be perfect. What grade level is this? What plan (if any) do you currently have in place? What have you tried? I highly recommend checking out the smart Classroom Management blog (Google it) -- it has some great, simple strategies for refocusing.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM

So tell us what you would do differently. How will next year be better?

Every day is a new day, so take those ideas and implement them TODAY. It will be harder to do mid- year, but there is too much time left to trudge through and survive.

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:55 AM

I don't have much time to reply, but a quick comment. If they're waiting until you turn your back, then they do have some restraint in their behavior. First idea: Don't turn your back. Pre-write what's on your board. Use dittos or textbooks as visuals. Second idea: Don't yell at the students. Don't overreact when they disrespect you. In other words, don't give them the feedback that they seek. Third idea: Restart. Just like a computer might need restarted, so might this class. Have an honest discussion. These are the classroom expectations and consistent penalties if needed, but the penalties shouldn't be needed. Discuss, with student input, positive behaviors. Establish a signal for quieting the class (I've used a bell or a crow call. At a workshop, a teacher would clap out "Shave and a hair cut" and the class would clap "Two bits", but sometimes a signal that requires a classroom response will backfire if the students are accustomed to ignoring their part in the response; once it becomes habitual, such a signal can work like a charm. The main focus is to ritualize the day. The students get used to doing the same procedures at the same time for each specific day of the week, but also small variations are integrated at times within the schedule. Mr. Rogers, every day on his TV program, walked by the window then opened the door, changed into his sweater, etc. But, for example, one day he might stop and wave at the window. Most important idea: Increase your respect for the students. You respect them too much to yell and lecture them; you calmly expect and discuss and expect the same from them to you, not listening to any disrespect on their part during such discussions, but reminding them that this is the consistent way we talk with each other. One quick thought, it seems like the entire class, especially when everyone laughs at Silly Sam's shenanigans, but usually it's just a few. Give them a behavior to work on, encourage them not to give up on changing that behavior, you and the student devise ideas on stopping the misbehavior (but avoid the reward for good behavior trap--it definitely backfires). When you feel comfortable, have a plan for controlled silliness that is allowable. Have a quiet signal that immediately stops the silly activity, such as you putting your hands on your hips; if it doesn't stop, discuss how that inhibits such fun nonsense from reoccurring. I sometimes instigated a game of shadow, where the students would suddenly start repeating everything I said. (Sometimes I'm more hyperactive than the kids). But it always stopped whenever I gave my quiet signal and we calmly giggled and continued with the lesson.