Is the praxismathguru website worth it for the praxis math content 5161 exam?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by JayT, Feb 13, 2019.

1. JayT

JayT New Member

Feb 13, 2019

^

Has anyone purchased the practice tests? It seems pretty expensive and the website is a bit too "pushy" into getting you to buy it imo, so i just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has worked with them.

Thanks

3. 2good

2good Rookie

Feb 13, 2019

Hello,
    No, you shouldn't pay that kind of money for a practice test, unless you are about 20-30 points from a passing score, imo.

Yes, I would suggest study guides and books. When I was taking the English content test, I called another university and asked similar questions to their doctoral students.

You will pass this test. I have talked and worked extensively with a former employee of ETS. She had her doctorate and medical degree. She was not in customer service, but she wrote questions for their reading test. She explained there were no more than 13 versions of each test, therefore your brain is subconsciously recording the test. This is why ETS does not want you sharing questions with other test takers. So, if you take test 1, you might not see it again until the 13th time you take it. The probability of you passing it will eventually come even if it takes 2-3 years. She also said all of these tests are not created by someone who is obtaining their undergraduate degree, ETS only has test writers whom have taught the subject area for at minimum 20 years or more and have their doctorates. Questions that are developed may not be seen by test takers for at least 3-6 months. Not saying the practice test won't help you, but I asked librarians, doctoral students, my fellow coworkers and study guides.

I saw a different website during the time I was taking 5039 saying I would pass after six weeks after paying $1600. The 5161 i heard is difficult, my mom had a friend who had her doctorate and could not pass, so she went into private school. Don't get frustrated. You will pass.

Are you in the DMV area? There is a workshop class at George Mason for about $400 for the 5161. Maybe there is a workshop class in your area? I could not find a workshop class in my area for 5039, but I took a workshop for Praxis core. I struggled with all my Praxis tests...anyway after I took the workshop I passed it like within the next two times. It helped me to be around other students to see how they were thinking questions through. Check their success rate before you sign up. I think they have offered this workshop for years.

Attached Files:

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 14, 2019

Hey 2good! Long time no see. Did you ever pass all of your certification tests? I recall that you were studying for your social science (?) certificate a while back. Have you been teaching? :)

5. 2good

2good Rookie

Feb 14, 2019

I never studied Social science. Passed PLT last month which was my third and final Praxis test for the MAT program and will graduate late spring. Are you teaching, yet? Why are you still on these boards?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 20, 2019

Buy a practice book and buy the practice test sold by ETS. Buy them both if you really want to make sure.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 21, 2019

I’m a 5th-year math teacher. I presently teach AP Stats, AP Calc BC, Calc 3, and I sub off and on for a colleague of mine, who teaches AP Computer Science.

I visit many boards on AtoZ to see how everyone is doing in their careers and daily lives.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019