Is Teaching a good career path for me?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dolphin3, May 23, 2016.

1. dolphin3

dolphin3 New Member

May 23, 2016

Basically, i'll start my last semester of college this fall and once i finish i will have graduated with a degree i largely think is pretty useless to me. After weighing my options of what college career path i can go through that won't take too long, the only two that i have managed to grasp are those of a 2 1/2 years Masters program in Social Work and an Elementary School Teaching Credential.

This latter one would take 1 1/2 years to finish at best, and 2 years at worst apparently. The thing though is that i know very little about what this type of career would entail. I myself am currently afflicted by what can be considered as debilitating social anxiety to top it off, so if i were to try to go into this, i'd have to take control of myself to begin with.

I remember my time as a K-6 student as a great period of my life and teaching was one of the first things i said i'd like to do when someone asked me about my future career when i was about 8 years old, but other than that nostalgic sentiment, i'm not sure i'm looking forward to this with a passion, but more with a desire to earn a living with a stable job that (hypothetically?) won't take too long to acquire.

If i could relax and be able to interact and make a positive difference in children's lives, i could maybe see myself in this but i don't know... I wouldn't want a highly stressful job that i didn't enjoy. Could i possibly engender a substantial liking for this profession?

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

May 23, 2016

What bothers me is that you seem to want to do teaching just for the sole reason of the education not taking too long. Social work and teaching are both highly stressful jobs, especially when you first start out teaching. Why not figure out what you REALLY want to do?

teacherintexas, bella84 and Caesar753 like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2016

Teaching can be highly stressful.

Maybe you could spend some time in a few different classrooms before you make any big decisions.

5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

May 28, 2016

I absolutely recommend you do ANYTHING else.

Aside from the politics assailing the profession at this time, you are not personally invested in a teaching career. You do NOT enter teaching because training will be quick. You do NOT enter teaching because you don't know what else to do.

If possible, stay at home until you figure it out. Change majors. Teaching is something that requires a high level of commitment, otherwise you will come to find yourself filled with a deep sense of loss and regret. That is, the rewards are few and far between; you have to be ready for that at a nearly spiritual level.

Talk to professors, counselors, family, and friends.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 28, 2016

Social work. Even with your social anxiety, your education background for teaching preparation can be extremely beneficial to helping understand children and adolescences.

My youngest daughter deals with anxiety and depression, and teaching was on her mind until this year when she started working with students living with special needs. She's now considering social work or special education; more towards social work because she's seen what the special ed. teacher's get to deal with on a daily basis.

You might find you have the same compassion to help others living with special needs in a wide range of social or even academic needs. As I tell my oldest daughter in college, talk to the professors and counselors; professors and counselors work for you--that's why you're paying the college the big bucks!

Best wishes.