Is my principal trying to get rid of me

Discussion in 'High School' started by futureteach24, Mar 12, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Mar 12, 2013

He put me on an action plan 1.5 weeks ago for class management. It is through next winter. Yesterday, the union rep said she couldn't understand why because it didn't sound like I was having problems that are not typical for young, first year teachers.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2013

I'm not sure if he is trying to get rid of you, but it is becoming more common place for first year teachers to be put on an action plan.

Back in the olden days of teaching (when there were jobs available), there was a sliding scale. So the expectations for first year teachers was a little different for 35 year vets. That is not the case anymore. Everyone is held to the same standards (at least in my district and many neighboring districts). So a first year teacher will most likely be deemed a basic teacher and receive an improvement plan.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 12, 2013

If it is through next winter, I would doubt he is trying to get rid of you. It is my experience that you are given a shorter amount of time if they want you gone.

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 12, 2013

It sounds like he wants to keep you. Follows th plan. Do you have a mentor?

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Mar 12, 2013

Since you're a new teacher, the principal is probably just trying to give you specific advice in order to make you more effective. All new teachers have "improvement plans" in my school--it's required as part of their certification process. They choose their areas of weakness, though, and a mentor and administrator need to approve the timeline/action plan, though.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2013

I agree.

What are the terms of the improvement plan? Maybe we can help give you some tips and ideas.

8. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 14, 2014

in my district all teacher new and old have professional development plans