Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hokiegrad1993, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 15, 2018

How important is putting together a portfolio for job interviews? It would feature classroom management style and your ideal classroom.

I feel like it could be beneficial but I have heard mixed reviews on whether or not it is worth it.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Apr 15, 2018

I've never brought anything to interviews and I've never had problems getting offers :)
    But I'd say it's better to bring it and not need it than to not have it when they want to see it.

Caesar753 and Hokiegrad1993 like this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 15, 2018

I've never been asked to show mine, but it did help me to have. When I would start stumbling over an answer, I would sometimes pull artifiacts from that, and it helped me bring my answers together. To me, it was like a security blanket of sorts.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 15, 2018

This is a wonderful idea! I never thought of this. Hm.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Apr 15, 2018

I'm planning on having one but I'm not sure what to put in it! I really don't have any student work, but I should probably start to make copies. I will put in my resume, teaching philosophy, sample lesson plans and some materials. It might help to show the hiring team sample materials as I talk about lessons I have planned, etc.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2018

THIS is what I need to start doing. I bring the GD thing but I DON'T use it... even though I could flip to a page to help me concretely answer a question. ERRR I hate interviews! Also, even if you don't NEED to bring one, but have it, it could make you stand out against another candidate as you'll look more prepared, eager, etc.
    ;)
    I actually just updated mine and hope to use it soon.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 15, 2018

Yes, this! You likely won't be asked to show your portfolio, but I have so many examples of what I do as a teacher in mine that I always pull it out to help answer questions.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 15, 2018

You might try putting some sticky notes in portfolio so that you can quickly locate certain material in a flash.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2018

Way ahead of you... I already had them in there. I just need to remember to take the portfolio out and flip to the pages. My problem is I'm a talker so the minute they ask the question I start responding... I could totally take a breath and flip to the page to add to my answer. The only reason I used it in the last one was because the principal said "Is that a portfolio you have there?''
    :toofunny:

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Apr 15, 2018

I finally stopped worrying about having one. For my most recent interviews I focused more on different interview questions and how I would answer them.

Been There likes this.
  12. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 15, 2018

I've always had great success without a portfolio! I've also sat on both sides of the interview table and personally would not be interested in what's in a candidate's folder. How would I know that the contents actually belong to the interviewee? Moreover, I think you should be more concerned about what you SAY and watch the clock to ensure that they have enough time to ask you all the questions on their list. It would be a shame to lose valuable points for unasked/unanswered questions due to your Show and Tell (which may or may not earn you bonus points). Showing them some of your proudest "artifacts" would definitely take time away from your interview. Is it worth the risk?

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  13. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 15, 2018

When I graduated they told us to create a portfolio. The Board I applied for showed no interest in it. I would say that if the places you are applying for are asking for it, do it. Otherwise I actually think it is likely to lead to you be graded lower on your interview - not because they are penalizing you for the portfolio but because you have less time to answer questions fully/ hit all the points on the rubric if you are flipping through a portfolio. I would suggest that if a Board wants to see things like a lesson plan, they will ask for it in your application package. In the interview, they want to get a sense of who you are are an educator - the soft skill stuff that doesn't show up as clearly in a written application.

Been There likes this.
  14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Apr 15, 2018

I have mixed feelings on this. Classroom management is such a sensitive issue and you need to be careful on what and how much you share. For example, say someone puts together a portfolio on classroom management that uses lots of rewards or consequences and a school doesn't believe in this strategy--it is then a big negative. Or imagine a principal who has a specific type of classroom management program and the candidate has lots of things from Teaching with Love and Logic which the principal has mixed feelings about. It could be a negative.

Make sure if you have a portfolio it stays a bit away from controversy while still showing you know your stuff. I have seen principals nearly hire someone on the spot due to a great portfolio and another one where a candidate's portfolio was so specific it made the candidate look inflexible. Most candidates don't make a portfolio so it does make you stand out. Get a veteran teacher's advice that you can trust on whether your portfolio looks good if you choose to do one IMO. Good luck to you.

15. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 15, 2018

All great advice! Thank you!

16. Janlee70

Janlee70 Rookie

Apr 15, 2018

As having interviewed many candidates a portfolio was something never asked for. We liked precise answers, no beating around the bush or trying to pad your response by going on and on or looking up something in a portfolio. Answer the question and if the interviewer needed further information it would be asked for. Keep yourself on the topic. Also, to those interviewing for the first time...eye contact is very important, a strong handshake when being introduced, and proper posture when sitting.

Been There likes this.
  17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 15, 2018

Most of the things my college told us to put in our portfolio were unnecessary- things like philosophy of teaching, lesson plans, pictures of different projects, etc.

Last time I was interviewing I made a significantly smaller portfolio that included a lot of student data. At the end of some interviews, I was asked, "Is there anything else you want to share with us?" If I hadn't been able to work it into an answer, I asked then if I could share my data. IMO that was the most powerful thing I did in the entire interview. At one interview, the P had been previously talking about possibly scheduling a demo lesson, she'd let me know at the end of the week...after showing my data she literally chased me down in the parking lot and asked if I could come back the next day for a demo. I was offered that job, but chose my current position instead based on location.

There was another job that I lost because I didn't have a video of my teaching. I'd never been asked that before, and the P seemed sort of miffed that I didn't have it prepared. They allowed me to do a completely impromtu demo lesson instead with kids that had been held back from a field trip. They wanted me to teach something from their reading curriculum, which I'd never seen before and had no background knowledge on. Think how much better a video in my "regular setting" would have looked! Just something to think about.

18. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 15, 2018

I have never had a principal look through my portfolio in interviews. Like someone said before, they focus more if they like you, and how you answer questions. That is more important to them.
    They go through TONS of interviews every year, looking through a portfolio takes up more of their time.

Been There likes this.
  19. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Apr 15, 2018

I do bring a portfolio, but it's a mini one with only 12 pages, not the epic ones the colleges seem to require. I include sample lesson ideas, photos of student work, and summaries of my coursework. I then utilize it to answer questions - I don't dwell on it or use drawn out answers to make the portfolio fit in, but I make use of it naturally. So if they ask "what's a lesson you're particularly proud of" - I literally show them. I've had some interview panels that look through the portfolios (I bring several copies) during the interview, whilst I'm speaking. Granted, many don't also... it's a bit of a toss up. I've been on about a dozen interviews since I started my career, and I'd say about half looked over the mini portfolio items on their own (without me mentioning the items first), and the other half ignored it. Not a big deal, but a nice tool when they actually utilize it.

20. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 17, 2018

So, what evidence do you have that a portfolio is actually useful in an interview? Most panels assign a certain amount of points to each question, based on the interviewee's response. Aren't you concerned that those who look through your portfolio during the interview may be distracted from listening to what you have to say? IMO, by providing everyone on the panel with their own copy to look over while you are speaking is a disservice to yourself - your doing so is encouraging panel members to take time to read and assess the different portfolio items. In all fairness, I personally would ignore any portfolios unless they were specifically requested of all interviewees.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018