Is it worth it to rent furniture or buy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jun 11, 2018.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 12, 2018

Funny thing is the most expensive sofa was the one we had to get rid of first. It was probably a poor fabric choice on our part.

2. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Jun 12, 2018

I wouldn't use high school kids to move furniture. That could lead to numerous lawsuits if the student injured himself lifting your furniture on your property.

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 12, 2018

Many decisions in our adult lives require the application of common sense - something that we as teachers often fail to promote the development of among our students. Teachers by definition must learn basic decision-making skills, so that they can pass such learning on to their students.

I can appreciate the willingness of those who want to help, but IMO it is a necessary rite of passage for the OP to make her own decisions and make her own mistakes, without the benefit of outside intervention by well-wishers. Whether it be decisions regarding celibacy, living with parents or renting furniture there comes a time when we're all expected to apply our own thinking and common sense. IMO our good intentions will merely serve to perpetuate her dependency on others as we have already seen in prior theads. This reminds me so much of teachers that I've observed who unknowingly encourage their students to be dependent on them for almost everything! We're now on page 2 and counting on the topic of furniture rental - give me a break!

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  4. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Jun 12, 2018

When I was moving from my apartment, I used a company called College Hunks. They are in every state and one of the cheapest companies.

5. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 12, 2018

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate. What one would consider to be cheap another would consider expensive! I would guess the OP has already conducted an internet search for movers. Next suggestion . . .

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 12, 2018

Bribe friends with food & drinks to come and help you.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 12, 2018

I'm pretty sure you can find people to move you. Craigslist, (be careful though) and asked around. It's summer. College kids always need money. There are always people with pick up trucks who need money.

Renting furniture or appliance is like paying 4 x the cost over time, it's not a good idea at all. I don't know why you think your furniture will fall apart after a couple of years. I have furniture from Ikea from 18 years ago, a dresser from 20 years, kitchen table from 10 years and it's all great.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 12, 2018

Am I the only one wondering if we’re all getting duped here???

czacza and futuremathsprof like this.
  9. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 13, 2018

Apparently some people seem to enjoy offering mundane advice for the simplest of questions. This is what happens when we adopt the attitude that "there is no such thing as a dumb question". The dialog often becomes so unproductive that eventually everyone becomes somewhat confused and frustrated. Do you think that this demonstrates enabling behavior?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Jun 13, 2018

What about your family? I'm sure your parents would help you if you asked them.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2018

Lol:rofl:

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 14, 2018

I'd rather buy Big Lots, IKEA, Target, &/or Walmart furniture than rent furniture.

I never had friends or anyone else to help me move either. I just hired movers (which I know you said was pricey for you).

13. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 14, 2018

OP, just bite the bullet and get it done already! Can't you see that this is a no-brainer? I don't believe you've learned anything new here that you didn't already know.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2018

I really don't see how criticizing the OP helps matters.
    She asks legitimate questions, which maybe doesn't match some of your lifestyles, but aren't we here to help and support each other?

15. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jun 14, 2018

Hello everyone sorry for not replying on time. I am very busy at the moment and did not expect to get this much replies on this thread. Well, my dad and cousins will help me move. I sold my sofas, tv stand, and dressers to a relative. I will be getting better furniture on credit with the money I saved and got from selling the old furniture. The only thing I will rent for now is a kitchen table because I am single and no kids, I rarely use a kitchen table. I may even follow some of the suggestions here and purchase a table from IKEA or Wayfair.

16. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jun 14, 2018

My advice on the kitchen table: just look online. Freecycle, Facebook yard sale groups... you'll find something cheap or perhaps even free.

czacza and TeacherCuriousExplore like this.
  17. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jun 14, 2018

Good Idea. I may look on the Facebook market

18. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Jun 14, 2018

Obviously, buying the furniture at firsthand is a lot more cost-effective than renting. The one-time payment will help out for the long-term.
    It may be a lot more expensive at first, but if you rent, eventually....the "expensive" buy-it payment will be easily surpassed.

19. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jun 14, 2018

I didn't even know renting furniture was a thing.

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 14, 2018

You might want to check out some yardsales for kitchen table. I wouldn't buy anything with upholstery because they might have bugs and fleas and who knows what else, but tables and wooden chairs are fine. You can probably buy one for $40 (and maybe even delivered) as opposed to $100-300.