Is it possible to connect a computer and ELMO to a TV?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

Next year I'll be in a different, much smaller classroom. I'm trying to figure out how to display material from my computer and ELMO. Right now, there is really only one place to project my LCD, and it's right at the front of the room. The problem is that I'll have to put my LCD cart directly in front of at least one student, thus blocking his view of the board/screen. There are also going to be some problems with cords/tripping hazards with the LCD projector in that location.

What I'd like to do is connect my computer and ELMO directly to the TV, bypassing the LCD projector altogether. The TV is fairly large and located in an area where all students will be able to see it easily. Is this something that I can do without purchasing any extra equipment? I can run the connection through a DVD player if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

How do you connect to your LCD?

4. Special-t

Special-t Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

Our school TVs have VGA outlets so it's easy to connect my laptop. I've never tried to hook up the Elmo.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

I can connect the LCD to the computer via USB or VGA. I can connect it to the DVD player via those red, yellow, and white cords.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

Is the TV a flatscreen, or is it a tube TV?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

It's a tube TV.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

Then it shouldn't be HDMI.

What kinds of cables can your computer take?

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

It looks like just USB and VGA. I don't see anything special.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

See if the TV has a VGA input; it may or may not - though chances are decent that it does, since it's at a school. (If you can't get behind it to check, try using your cell phone to take pix of the back.)

- If the TV does have a VGA input, all you need is a VGA to VGA cable.

If the TV doesn't have a VGA input, you need a VGA to RCA cable, or (depending on the TV's inputs) a VGA to S-video cable. One sees them online beginning at about $7, though you may need to spend more to get a cable that's long enough.

You also need to figure out whether your computer can support multiple displays (I'd bet on it, though it's possible it won't detect the TV automatically, in which case you simply need to know where to go in your software to enable the additional display).

I do need to warn you that the picture quality won't be very good, especially if you're used to HD at home.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

Thanks for the help! I'm going in to school tomorrow, so I'll try to take some pics and see if I can get it figured out.

I'm not super worried about picture quality as long as any text I put up is legible. I'm hoping that this TV setup will only need to serve as a backup plan or last resort because my goal is to try to implement a modified "flipped" setup. If I can get the students all set up on their own Macbooks to look at the material, I hopefully won't need to display a lot of other stuff.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

Any chance you could get your projector mounted? It costs about $50 for the set up.

13. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 10, 2012

My computer used to be connected to the TV in my classroom before I had an LCD projector. There was a converter box involved, but I never looked at the setup too carefully. When I pressed the "AV/Input" button on my remote control the computer screen would come up on the TV, so I never had to play around with any of the cables. (My TV is 15 years old, so I'm sure if I was able to do it on that one that you can do it on yours!)

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

No, that won't work. The ceiling is very low in my new classroom, so I think anything mounted on the ceiling would get bonked by several heads during the day. It's seriously a very small room....