Is it normal to be cussed out daily by students as a substitute teacher

Discussion in 'High School' started by taylor914, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 22, 2019

Welcome to urban education! Writing up profanity in my schools would've been like giving out speeding tickets at Indy 500....there was no point to it. And administration will ALWAYS hide behind, "It's your classroom management skills." They don't want to be bothered. You can either ignore it or come up with a sarcastic response. That's about it.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 22, 2019

This is what education is devolving into, folks. And people honestly have to wonder why I say what I say.

Reality Check likes this.
  3. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 22, 2019

This is just a paycheck, just call a spade a spade. Administrators don't care so why should we? Show up, get paid, and get ready for summer break!

Reality Check and taylor914 like this.
  4. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Mar 24, 2019

I'll give you the advice that someone who is now a professor at a large university and used to be in the classroom for 10 years gave me:
    "This goes against everything I stand for but... do not work at a bad, rough, urban school. Find a high performing school - public or private - and work there."
    I got similar advice from a few others.
    I heeded that advice after many years at a Title I school. I work at a much better school and the difference is night and day.
    For that, I am thankful. I like where I work.

5. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Mar 24, 2019

Dear God, this is exactly like my first subbing experience at the middle school that I actually attended.

The kids were awful! They would just start obnoxiously laughing when I greeted them at the start of class, answer phone calls, FaceTime, etc. Whatever terrible thing that middle schoolers can do to any you—they did.

Stupid me took another job there a few days later. I thought that maybe I had a rough group. Nope. Those kids on my second go-around were MUCH worse. They came to homeroom and just acted like a bunch of animals...throwing desks, chairs, whatever. Then the language started. This sixth grader was talking about how she was going to “beat someone f*ing a*s” and blah, blah, blah. The worst thing was when the neighboring teachers would come in to try to help, but it ended up being a “buddy-buddy” thing. They didn’t even try to help me corral me them. Never going back. NEVER.

6. futuremathsprof

Mar 24, 2019

You’ve made the right decision. It sounds like you were working in a zoo with wild animals.

7. taylor914

taylor914 Rookie

Mar 24, 2019

I quit and left a descriptive resignation letter for my boss.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 27, 2019

I hope you can find a better place to work. Nobody deserves what you went through.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Mar 27, 2019

If they say the "F" word it is a warning??? I don't get it. A student who says the "F" word to a teacher or substitute teacher, that is a very big thing. I'd change that policy immediately. I subbed in the "hood" in the worst neighborhood you can imagine with middle school students. I was called a "honky" and some other names, but no one ever said the "F" word to me. If they did, they'd be out the door in 2 seconds.

I wish you luck and hope you find a better school. As a sub. I'd be twice as strict as you expect a regular teacher would be. Triple that if you are in a bad neighborhood.

10. taylor914

taylor914 Rookie

Mar 28, 2019

I have been strict. That is the sole reason for the friction. I heard F this, F that, N this N that, literally all day long in every single period and on most days heard them curse at me conversation with each other (F that stupid A sub / Man he a dumb N**** / This sum bullsh** I cant go to the RR / ETC). Just so happens that, after the worst day there in terms of the number of students I had removed, my boss emails & said he wanted me to come to the downtown office to "talk about substituting matters." After I said I wanted to know why & what the exact purpose was, he said only "I think you'll find the meeting purposeful."

.......................... really.

So you want me to miss half a day of work, buy gas, drive 35 minutes to downtown, and do not have the decency or respect to inform me why you want me to do this. Ofc, we can all speculate why but that was the last straw.

But hearing the F word happened so many times, you had to give warnings at first. If I kicked it every students for saying it, I'd literally kick out 1/3 of the period, every period.

11. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 10, 2019

Had a student to write f Ms. ____________ and the principal did nothing about it. But we're told to write it up if it happens, pfff..........

Reality Check likes this.
  12. Nicolebeason

Nicolebeason Rookie

Apr 27, 2019

Yep, been There as a substitute for a while - Substitutes are the "Rodney Dangerfields" of teaching - most get no respect.

13. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Apr 28, 2019

In some locations, absolutely. However, in my school district (can only use my school district because it is the only school district I have personally experienced), the majority of the students are respectful to the substitute teachers in high school. Middle school kids are usually rambunctious. Elementary students try to get away with interesting behaviors. (I have been teaching this particular class for 8-9 years now.) I have only had a couple instances where I was given a negative note about a student. When I can not be in school, my aide usually takes the reigns and directs the class. Substitute teachers, in my class, can not write up my students (But neither can I).

14. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Apr 30, 2019

I know your response was over a month ago, but for some reason, I overlooked it originally.

It seriously was like working in a zoo with wild animals.

I talked to some of my former teachers there and asked them how they think the culture of the school has evolved. They all had negative things to say about it. Part of the issue is the principal does not like disciplining the students or does not effectively discipline. When I was there, we had a different principal that was not afraid to lay down the hammer if she needed to do it. Of course we had some issues with certain students, but those issues were dealt with swiftly and effectively.

I see different stories on my social media accounts about issues at this school, and it seems to be getting worse.

15. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

May 10, 2019

What you have described is terrible. I have been there. I sub in 4 districts and have had exposure to a variety of students. It my area, schools in the big city (public) are really rough. Students in higher performing schools act much, much better. In fact, I would go so far as to say it is child abuse to send one's kid to a low performing school IF one has the option to bus out, move out, or go private.

16. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

May 11, 2019

I feel that is a little harsh and unfair. I understand your point that having your kids at a low-performing school when you can afford a better option is may be not wise. However, it is not right to call it child abuse.

readingrules12 likes this.
  17. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 11, 2019

This will keep being encouraged as long as you have spineless administrators.

18. futuremathsprof

May 11, 2019

Yep. I think superintendents should sit all the principals in a room at every school in their district and just let them have it. P’s and VP’s need to stop giving students grace all the time and actually drop the hammer. I constantly hear about admin not disciplining students and I’m sick of it.

I’m glad my admin lay into students when they misbehave — the students deserve it.

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 11, 2019

Agreed, but there is one problem. Superintendents are often the ones that are so concerned about their reputations that they are often even a bigger problem than the principals. Not saying all superintendents are like that, but from what I have seen and heard, superintendents tend to be more the problem than the answer.

20. futuremathsprof

May 11, 2019

Good grief, does it ever end?