Irma

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Obadiah, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 8, 2017

I've been praying for the current and potential victims of Hurricane Irma. The latest I've read in the paper, it's the worst hurricane in recorded history and it is now threatening much of the eastern U.S., even inland communities with the potential for numerous tornadoes and heavy rain. A horrible thought just entered my mind while writing this, as people are evacuating (the picture in this morning's paper of the traffic was unbelievable), what about the homeless, of which there are many in the Florida area. Last Wednesday, a friend brought up another thought, many people have moved to Floridian retirement communities; has anyone thought to check on older folks to ensure that they found a ride out?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2017

I'm pretty much directly in the line of the storm as I live in the West alm Beach area. It doesn't make sense to me to evacuate because the storm is headed straight north through Florida into the Carolinas. Where would we go? My sister has a house in Tallahassee, so she went there. That makes sense, it's pretty far west, but otherwise, we are urged to stay in, put up shutters, get ready to lose power. There are shelters open for homeless people and those who live on barrier islands or in mobile homes. We should see hurricane force winds on Sunday and part of Monday. I'm a little worried about the skylights in my ceiling leaking, but otherwise we should be okay.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2017

To alleviate some of your fears...most communities are taking the homeless to shelters, and are encouraging everyone to check on their elderly neighbors. The good thing about Florida folk is that we are used to the precautions needed for storms and most people are really good about helping each other.
    I'm in central Florida and our roads have been packed for several days. The hotels are allowing pets, lowering their prices, and generally helping out the best way they can.
    My daughter is waiting right now for word that Disney will close so she doesn't have to go to work. However, she will not go in regardless when the storm gets here.

DizneeTeachR, Obadiah and Upsadaisy like this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 8, 2017

My parents are in Boynton Beach and appear to have the sturdiest, most sheltered house out of all their friends, so it sounds like they're planning on a sleepover when the storm hits. I flat-out told my parents to come here to Ohio if their supplies run out post-storm.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 9, 2017

I received an email today from the American Diabetes Association. All the various diabetes organizations have shipped supplies to critical areas effected or to be effected by the two hurricanes. They urge shelters to be prepared for the needs of people with diabetes. If this post happens to be read by a shelter volunteer, I might also suggest in your food supplies to include high protein foods. These help slow the digestion of sugar in Type II PWD (people with diabetes). High fiber foods are also beneficial. Another idea, although not the best medical advice for some, I often rely on Little Debbies and I used to rely on dark chocolate Hershey Bars as a quick snack; fat can slow down sugar absorption, and the Hershey Bars have fiber.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 9, 2017

That is so funny. My son just walked in the door with Hershey bars. I worry about the insulin when power goes out ..... I don't know how long it can go without refrigeration and I just got a 6 month supply of two different types.

Obadiah likes this.
  8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Sep 9, 2017

I hope you have a generator or lots of ice. When you can, be sure to check in on here. You'll have a lot of folks worrying about you, and for those who pray, praying for you.

Hugs Daisy to you and all those in the path.

Obadiah, DizneeTeachR and MrsC like this.
  9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 9, 2017

Thank you so much, teacherintexas. Hugs back to you. The path changed a bit westward, so now I'm worried about everyone on the gulf coast of Florida.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2017

I haven't posted in a while... But we have family in direct zone of Irma. So keep them in your thoughts as well. Scary....

Obadiah likes this.
  11. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 9, 2017

Hurricane Irma looks like it's headed back to Houston. God forbid.

Obadiah likes this.
  12. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 10, 2017

I heard that last night, too.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 10, 2017

My family has taken in two other couples whose homes are less protected and they're all hunkered down in Boynton Beach. They still have power and the company is making the time pass a little more easily.

DizneeTeachR and Obadiah like this.
  14. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2017

http://www.bing.com/search?q=irma+path
    Doesn't look like it'll come close...

Wishing all the best that are in the path / nearby!

Obadiah likes this.
  15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 10, 2017

I have kept power; 300,000 in my county have not been so lucky.

DizneeTeachR and Obadiah like this.
  16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Sep 10, 2017

Good news for you and your meds. I had electricity guilt during Harvey. Our evacuation spot had electricity a lot longer than most.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 11, 2017

Oh, I know what you mean. And we still have another 6 weeks of hurricane season!

18. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM

And these hurricanes are ferocious MONSTERS, Upsadaisy! I've heard that some are expected to get so strong that they will have to add another "never-before-needed" category rating. Now it only goes up to Cat5, but they may need to create a Category 6 rating, because the wind speeds are beyond anything they've ever recorded before.

Repent and pray that God will have mercy on us.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM

My scientist husband had mentioned that, if storms increased incrementally beyond Category 5, Irma most certainly would have been a 6 when it hit the Caribbean. It mostly missed my family, but I cannot hope for near-misses for the rest of my parents' lives.

Obadiah likes this.
  20. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Have you noticed Maria? Hurricane Maria shows every sign of being the Mother of Irma. Those hurricanes are firing off the coast of Africa like bullets! Somethings up, and we better find out what it is. Admin doesn't want me discussing it on her site (she says I'm preaching). I guess it's okay that people be blown to Smitherines and never know why...

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:56 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Cat. I have family in Tampa, Orlando, and Ocala. My Ocala family headed to TN with their horses. They're back as of today thankfully!

Obadiah likes this.