Interviewing with new district while still working in another district?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newkindermom, May 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

May 2, 2016

Hi everyone,

I may have an interview with another school district, much sooner than I expected to. I have not let my current school district know I am hoping to leave and relocate at the end of the school year. How should I handle this appropriately?
    I believe this will be just a preliminary interview (where they interview a ton of candidates before moving on to final interviews with a select few.) Do I need to let my current school know?
    The interview would also be during the school day, so I would have to take a sick day I am assuming?
    Thanks for your help!!

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2016

1. You have no obligation to let your current school district know that you're looking for a position in another district. In fact, I'd advise you to not let them know anything until you've accepted another offer.

2. Yes, I would take a sick day.

ms.irene likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 3, 2016

If you have the sick time then use it. Good luck!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 3, 2016

Very few teachers let their schools know they are on the prowl for a new position. Do what you need to do, which will give your current district time to find a teacher who will do as wonderful a job as you have.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 3, 2016

I was going to say the same thing. It doesn't hurt to shop around silently. ;)

7. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

May 3, 2016

Thank you all for your help!!

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 3, 2016

My rule of thumb is that, if I have a reason other than hating my current school (even if that is also a reason), such as moving far away, I tell my admin that I'm looking. If I'm looking for a new school locally because I'm unhappy where I'm at, then I don't say anything. To this point, notifying my admin in advance has never backfired. In fact, it's been quite helpful. The only time that it backfired was the time that I was looking locally and didn't tell my admin. They found out that I had an offer before I told them... because, in my P's words, "It's a small world out there, and all the principals in the area know each other." I suppose that it could have been worse if I had told her in advance, but it certainly wasn't pleasant with the actual outcome either.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 3, 2016

I have always let my admin know. They'll let me know they got calls/emails about references.

But I can understand why some shop around quietly. If my circumstances had ever been similar to some who've posted about crazy Ps or if I was looking locally, I wouldn't hesitate to stay mum.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 6, 2016

I let him know that "although I plan to retire within the district, I am keeping my options open for next year". That was sort of the truth. It helped me when the call came.

Yes, use a sick day if possible.