Interview Red Flags?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bunhead630, Jun 16, 2019.

1. bunhead630

bunhead630 New Member

Jun 16, 2019

I’ve been in an interview process with a charter school. In early May I received an email from the principal to set up a phone interview. I was given time slots to choose from and when the day and time came for them to call me, they did not. I followed up by email about the missed phone interview and got no reply. They then proceeded to call me a day later at an unscheduled time. I was in the middle of eating but I picked up anyways. We start to begin the phone interview but it is stopped because they needed to speak with a parent and I am called back later on that day(at an unscheduled time) to finish the phone interview. A week later I was invited to a group interview which goes...ok. About 4 days following that I am invited to give a demo lesson. Once again I pick a day and time slot a week from then so that I had time to figure out what I wanted to do and prepare. I came in and gave a demo at the end of May, received positive feedback on the lesson, and was told that I would hear back by the “end of the week about next steps”. It’s been almost 3 weeks since I gave the demo and I followed up with a thank you email a week from the demo with no reply. I’ve been through three rounds of interviews all of which felt very one-sided in terms of communication. I initially felt excitement about this prospect but it has since waned into apathy and an overall feeling of being turned off.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 16, 2019

Run! What do you know about the charter? Are actual professionals in the field of education running it?

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 16, 2019

Keep applying and getting your name out there.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 16, 2019

Run, and run fast!

If they can’t get an interview together, I’d hate to see how they run a school,

6. alp123

alp123 Companion

Jun 16, 2019

Way too sketchy. Keep applying. You'll be happy that you did.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 16, 2019

Nope. Keep looking.

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 16, 2019

[​IMG]

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 16, 2019

To formally reiterate the previous respondents: Hell to the no.

That is all.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 17, 2019

That's a NOPE from me too.
    I had an interview once in a public school that was very disorganized as well. They called to change the time/date twice and even though I applied for a middle school ELA position halfway through the interview they told me it was an interview for a special ed position (I'm certified in both but I did specifically did NOT apply for the sped position). Anyway, I wasn't too upset when they didn't offer me a job but then about a month later the principal called me and asked if I was the one they interviewed last month (um, thanks for remembering me) and said IF I was the person who came in previously they would like to have me come in again. It was very strange! I said I was sorry but I had another job lined up!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2019

Consider this experience a taste of how not to obtain a job.

12. TNTeacher1119

TNTeacher1119 Rookie

Jun 19, 2019

Wow.... I agree with everyone on here. NO, I would not accept a position from them. I understand an issue one time, but that many...yikes. Keep searching and applying.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 23, 2019

Hate to do this::beatdeadhorse: But they seem super disorganized. I would not want to work there even if I was offered the job.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

In my best, after work language

Aw hell naw...

If you even get through this process you will be running everything by yourself! You might as will be running a homeschool because you have no support that you can count on. I had administrator who only lived for emails, I mean she would literally, walked by me three times and then, I get home I’ll check my emails and all kinds of things were being sent to me at 1, 3:30 or 415. “Dear Staff.. you need to do this. Teachers, make sure you doing that. All parents need to have this.! But I’m at home now going WTH?? you walked buy me three times.

I absolutely hate this new type of strategy that administrators are doing relying on email for everything. They don’t want you to use your cell phones in school. You can only check your email in between classes or in my case (Head Start) when the kids are at their nap time. Or on my prep time. But this administrator was sending me messages all day long! . There is no way I’m going to be able to respond and to be adequately prepared to get anything done if she doesn’t pick up a phone or tell me something in person! Geez I can understand following up with an email or getting away from the paper memos in your mailbox but some of us need these visual reminders to tack up on our bulletin board and put on a desk so that we can stay focused and get the job done! I hate jumping through hurdles to go to all these passwords just to bring up an email and get all the steps just to remember to do one lousy thing! You could tell me something once in a while, so I can get to work on it right away!