Interview Questions (2009)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AnonyMS, Mar 9, 2009.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS Habitué

Mar 9, 2009

Was wondering if we could start a new thread? The one from 2008 is over 60 pages long.

INTERVIEW QUESTION: "What strategies would you use to develop students' critical thinking skills?" I'm thinking: logic, analogies, problem-solving, open-ended questions

INTERVIEW QUESTION: "How do you assess students to determine appropriate level of instruction and how would you address different ability levels and learning styles in the class?" Pre-test, informal assessment, interest inventory, varied material, varied reading level for content, diffierentiated instruction... what else?

INTERVIEW QUESTION: "Discuss an appropriate evaluation process and subsequent development of an education program for a student with special needs." This one stumped me b/c I think it is poorly worded and much to broad. Is this where RtI is a good thing to mention? What else? :unsure:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2009

I was just about to start this!

4. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

INTERVIEW QUESTION: Describe how you would run your readers workshop?

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Mar 10, 2009

From an application:

1. Explain how you use ongoing assessment data to differentiate instruction to ensure success for all students.
    2. Explain how you assess the level of engagement of students.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

In light of the struggling economy, how could you provide a quality education for your students without over-using the Xerox machine?

7. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Mar 10, 2009

1. I'm reading a really great book about Differentiating Instruction right now and I would definetely use some ideas from it for this first question. I would say something asuing a pretest or check-in to see what students already know. Then i would create activities, questionsm projects, etc from the information gathered through this pre-test (doesn't have to be a test, can be a KWL chart or another way to see what students already know). From there i would do another check-in a following week to see where the students are currently at as some may be progressing faster than others. I would re-evaluate my lessons to fit that.

2. Not really sure how I would answer this...ideas?

8. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Mar 10, 2009

What strategies would you use to teach writing?

What stratagies would you use to teach comprehension?

These are two that came up in a recent interview.

also, this is not a specific question but I'm always terrified that it will happen to me. How to respond to a question that asks about somehting you know NOTHING about. For example, lets say the interviewer asked "how have you implemeted guided reading in your classroom? and you have no clue or not info information to give a proper response. what do you say? (for the record, i know about guided reading, i was just using it as an example lol)

9. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Mar 10, 2009

By using a hands on approach and utilizing other materials. I would crate lessons that target skills through hands on learning and that can be assessed through observation/checklists, etc rather than paper and pencil tests/worksheets. I would use other materials such as individual whiteboards to allow to students to answer problems and practice. Ummmm basically i would say somehting this extent but my mind isnt working as well as it should be rght now so thats all i've got haha

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

I think it's a tough question. But the whiteboards might raise a flag-- if they're not already in the classroom, that's more money.

11. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

2. Explain how you assess the level of engagement of students.
    I think one of the quickest ways to assess the level of engagement of my students is to listen to the volume level. Students who are excited about what they are learning can't help but raise their voices. Also quick assessment like thumbs-up and thumbs-down will let me know if the students are enjoying the activity.

In light of the struggling economy, how could you provide a quality education for your students without over-using the Xerox machine?
    If the classroom has a smartboard I can easily pull up images and worksheets from the computer. The students then copy the questions from the computer into their notebooks so copy-paper is saved. If there is no smartboard I can easily use an elmo, document-cam, or overhead in the same manner. I will also have students working collaboratively, which will cut down on paper since each group needs a set of instructions instead of each individual.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

EAch of those machines costs money!

Let me rephrase the question:

How will you teach without the use of technology?

13. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

Even when I was teaching in the inner-city, the classrooms had an overhead projector. (Old school style with the transparency roll) This is what I was talking about.

As far as teaching without the use of technology, I can bring my personal laptop to class to present information and also have many activities that allow students to gain the knowledge they need.

Your earlier question was how to save copy paper, not limit your use of technology. I don't know any schools that would ask how you wouldn't use technology...most are looking for ways to use technology all the time.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

I think it depends on the district and the cuts they'll be making in the next few months.

I realize my first question was vague; that's why I rephrased it.

But I would be surprised to see many school pumping much money into technology this year; I think too many are hanging on as hard as they can simply to pay theif staffs.

15. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Mar 10, 2009

yeah i guess i would use that as an example of somehting not the only thing and make that clear haha

16. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Mar 10, 2009

yeah i agree i cant see many schools asking how teachers will teach without technology. even if schools are making budget cuts they wont get rid of equiptment already owned.

anyway!!! new question that everyone always gets asked and i NEVER know how to answer:

Tell me about yourself.

ugh i never know if i should be telling them about me personally or professionally and what i should say so tell me what do you say??

17. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

"Tell me about yourself."

I've been asked that question before. I haven't gone on many interviews, but this one has been asked. How I answered....I told them about myself personally. My guess is they want to get a feel of who you are as a person. All the other questions in an interview are geared toward getting to know who you are as a professional.

18. AnonyMS

AnonyMS Habitué

Mar 10, 2009

Anyone else on this one?

INTERVIEW QUESTION: "Discuss an appropriate evaluation process and subsequent development of an educational program for a student with special needs."

I know this is where RtI is a good thing to mention. But it is asking for the whole evaluation process (teacher obervation? informal assessment? formal assessment? - would that be right?) and then the development of an educational program - well, if I don't know the special needs, then how can I develop? Just say that I would match the program with the student needs whether it be language profiency, behavior modifications, or learning disability?

19. AnonyMS

AnonyMS Habitué

Mar 11, 2009

Can I have feedback on the answers I wrote? Thanks:

QUESTION: "What strategies would you use to develop students' critical thinking skills?"

I would use a variety of teaching methods to encourage students to think “outside the box.” I would use questioning techniques aimed at going further inside a students’ head or thinking. I would encourage students to answer the “why” and “how” questions. I would encourage students’ to relate the subject matter to their own lives and put themselves in the situation and ask them how they would handle the problem or the content we were learning about. I would use problem-solving, open-ended questions, logic puzzles, and analogies to extend lessons.

20. AnonyMS

AnonyMS Habitué

Mar 11, 2009

Can I have feedback on this answer? Thanks:

QUESTION: "How do you assess students to determine appropriate level of instruction and how would you address different ability levels and learning styles in the class?"

I would use a mix of informal assessments (teacher observation, interest surveys) and formal assessments (pre-tests, comprehensive tests, TAKS scores, any subject-specific test recommended by the district). Once an instructional level is found, I would use a variety of reading material, tiered questions and reading material, pair-share, lecture, graphics, and technology to reach each student. This would address the different ability levels as well as the different learning styles that are sure to be in any class. I would constantly monitor students to ensure that they understand the material. I would offer students choices for assignments, such as written, or verbal, or art work to show me they understand and can relate to the subject matter. I would have students work in small groups so that each student could contribute to the end product, using their learning style to shine.

21. AnonyMS

AnonyMS Habitué

Mar 11, 2009

Can I have feedback on this last one? Thanks:

QUESTION: "Discuss an appropriate evaluation process and subsequent development of an education program for a student with special needs."

An appropriate evaluation process for a student with special needs would include conferencing with the students’ parents as well as his / her other teachers. In addition, I would use both formal and informal assessments to determine any needs for modification that might warrant intervention.

If I noticed that a student was struggling and might require special modifications, I would assess the student using informal and formal methods. I would use teacher observation coupled with intuition. I would document the students’ progress or lack of progress. I would collect data using a variety of methods. I would also contact the parent and explore whether or not the parent has noticed the student struggling. I would document as much as I could, then encompass my findings in creating a plan that addresses this student's needs.