Interview questions (2008)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lemonhead, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Aug 14, 2008

You don't want to play super teacher. Kid learned lesson, ok...next lesson, let him twiddle his thumbs. Wrong answer.

And you don't want to go to the other extreme either. Push and push, like NCBL, until he passes out! This is a trick question. The teacher (everyone jump in!) does not have the sole responsible for the student's learning. The student, parent and teacher must work together as a team. Students are not vessels that we pour knowledge in. If that was the case, welll...that's another thread... salary for acheivement... we would be paid for how many kids we crank out. What if they fail? We are out of work? No...the kids must be responsible, and their parents. When you have done all you can do, (and... and this is very important) you have documented your efforts (telephone log, copies of extra homework, receipts for extra workbooks!) then you are safe to say to principal, "This is what I have done, this is what parent says, and this is his response. What would you suggest?" If you present your case to P this way, there is no other answer.. Results prove where student should go. Not your fault, his fault, parents fault. His work shows he is not ready to move on.

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Aug 14, 2008

and the reverse play...another way to ask the same question

"Why did you/are you leaving your current position/city?" If you are leaving a cold climate to come to a sunny one, that is pretty clear! But, if you are leaving a sunny one to come to a blizzard in the middle of January (yes, I did), they will wonder about you too! Make sure you have your answers ready.

Why did you leave that beautiful weather?

Uh, (resist the urge of saying... "So I would not be on the news for strangling my ex.")

:rolleyes:

you know that, but they don't have to...

3. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

Okay, in my last interview, they stumped me with, "What are your best qualities as a teacher?"

I mumbled something about years of experience in childcare settings and my advanced degree--stuff they could see from my resume.

I know noone can tell me what MY best qualities are, but what would you say yours are?

4. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I would make it clear that weather has nothing to do with my desire to educate. And though i wouldn't say it, i would be offended if a district assumed that were the case.

Actually, my case went one step further. Last February when i was interviewing again, i was asked why i left the previous job. So i gave them the honest answer that i was fired for applying to other districts without first informing my Vice Principal. I also explained that i lived 60 miles from my school, and was applying to schools in my own county. The location issue was able to gain some sympathy (especially since the reason for leaving was kind of pathetic on my former school's part, and i passed all evaluations), without my mentioning anything about the geography of the current location (and strangely enough, the school that i ultimately accepted is in the same city as my first school, and next week i'm moving BACK to the town i lived in, 60 miles away! This school starts much later and fits better with the train schedule though, so no issues this time!)

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

An interview Question that I went BLAH, BLAH, BLAH ON....

What are some of the Math programs that you use with your class? I mumbled something about how I taught Math to my Pre-K class and totally blew it. Finally, the lady said, "Yeah! That's what I was looking for! Their level of understanding." (I personally thought she just wanted me to leave.)
    Can any of you who have been teaching Math for a while help me with this one? What Math programs are out there that you can use in Elementary classrooms?
    THANKS,
    Rebel 1

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Aug 17, 2008

Sounds like your teacher has been reversing roles. She's leaving you with the kids while she makes copies. I would imagine you are no longer with this teacher, right??

Sure, I could throw out some names like, Math Their Way or Saxon Math or Houghlin Miflin Math... but if you have not worked with them, I would not mention them. I would say, I have heard of this that or the other, but as an assistant, my job was to prepare students and assist them. I am notexactly certain which math programs my teacher was using.

If you mentioned any names, they would expect you to talk about them, or be very excited and imagine you know all about it. That, IMO, is worse than not knowing.

If you were just handing out copies and helping the kids, you wouldn't necessarily know the title of the books. Some schools include their assistants with the inservice training on their programs, others don't. Looking at worksheets is kinda vauge.

Now, on the otherhand, if your teacher was using SRA Open Court Reading, I am quite sure you would know all about that, because there are so many components, and it would be drilled into your head as she followed the program daily. The puppets, worksheets, textbooks, everything has this title all over it, so it would be hard to miss it. In fact, you are supposed to start your lesson with a chant... "Open Court, Open Court"

Needless to say, not one of my favorites.

I don't remember any such madness with Saxon math. What I do remember is lots of maniplitives. Bags and bags of cubes, counting blocks, flash cards, etc.

What you might do is pretend you are parent, call the school, and ask them what type of math program they use. ;)

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

Thanks Master Pre-K. I am still with this teacher AND she continues to do it BUT I don't mind NOW because the children are closer to me and always want to hang out with me. She stays in and puts the beds out and meanwhile the children and I are having a ball outside. I feel bad because they would say right in front of her, "Ms. (My first name), You're the best teacher ever! or "You're our favorite teacher!", etc. I try to change the subject BUT they keep on doing it. Such is life.

Thanks again for your GREAT reply. I will check these programs out on the net just in case I get asked this question again in a future interview. I like the suggestion about calling the schools and asking about what Math programs they are using.
    You're funny!
    R1

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Aug 18, 2008

You're quite welcomed Rebel!

Unfortunately, several teachers are content with switiching roles, and it's the kids who suffer. Not that you are unable to give them what they need, but the kids know that she is ignoring them. In theory, kids and parents shouldn't know who is who, but we know. Make sure you are not in a situation where you have all the kids for you are alone for more than 15-30 minutes, or depending on your state..you could be in trouble for being out of ratio! And...in either case...the certified teacher should always be present, and if not, another certified staff or sub!

I often wonder what is up with teachers who take coffee breaks, cigarette breaks, cell phone breaks :crosseyed, and generally stay out of the room as much as possible?! I wonder if they are in denial, and really want a change...older kids, an office job? who knows. Whatever the case, it seems obvious that they are trying to get out of that room.

I know you don't want to think about it, but it will be terrible for a principal or another admin. person to come in and find you alone, and you have to explain where she is. Trust me, they will be timing her to see how long she has been out. You may not want to see her go, but if this continues, some changes may occur!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

Oh! Not to worry! I'm qualified. I'm Master Teacher Qualified and all that stuff from another state. I just passed the Pre-K-4 Teacher qualified exam for Texas SO I can easily take her job BUT she has Seniority. A lot of the stuff I started in our Class; Velcro Management System, Star Chart, Science Center, etc. has now been adapted by other classrooms and IF the Director doesn't see that THEN (?). (Immitation is a form of flattery.)The ratio is 18 to 1 in this lovely BIG state. I can handle it, considering that I came from a low income State funded Pre-School where the ratio was 8 to 1, plus the State ratio was 12 to 1. Thanks so much for your advice.
    Remember......STAY COOL & ENJOY SCHOOL,
    Rebel1

10. K-5Teacher

K-5Teacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

There are definitely some good responses on here.... I wish I had stumbled on the board before I had interviews. Unfortunately, while I know what I'm doing in the classroom and when teaching, I stink at explaining it during interviews. Will definitely review this thread when interviews pop up again!

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2008

Welcome K-5Teacher!
    Glad you decided to join the club. It's a GREAT board and very informative. All the Posters are very helpful with their responses. Hope you stay a while.
    Rebel1
    ...STAY COOL & ENJOY SCHOOL...

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2008

There's nothing wrong with saying a positive reply lilmisses1014. What I meant is don't cut down your last BOSS. I have found out from a lot of the teachers I talk that they wish that their Bosses would thank them more. (Good luck on that.) I have come to realize that the PAYCHECK is A GOOD ENOUGH "THANK YOU" in the eyes of most Bosses SO I just do my thing and remember that my main concern is that I am making a "POSITIVE DIFFERENCE" in my students' lives and helping them become future productive citizens and TEAM PLAYERS.
    Rebel1
    "WE LIVE TO TEACH ANOTHER DAY...
    so LIVE EACH DAY LIKE IT'S YOUR LAST!"

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

OH, I'd never cut down a boss in an interview. The principal where I student taught was awful; she hated her job, hated the students, and treated the teachers (with a couple of exceptions) like crap. There were a few of us ST in the building and she never bothered to introduce herself to us or learn our names. However, I would never say that in an interview. Fortunately, that question never came up for me.

My principal at my old school couldn't thank her teachers enough. Always offering praise and encouragement; there was no room for cattiness or negativity.

14. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

What techniques will you use to connect students’ prior knowledge, life experience, and interests with learning goals?

How will you create a classroom environment that engages all students in purposeful learning activities and encourages constructive classroom interactions?

15. appl4tchr

appl4tchr Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

Here are some interview questions I had today. It went well, so I'm hoping today was my lucky day!

1.Describe you would approach the teaching of Literature and language Arts.

2. Full inclusion is part of the educational environment. How would you meet the needs of a full inclusion child and design a program?

3. What would you expect your students to have gained after having you as a teacher?

4. If you were assigned to teach a combination class what would you do to ensure that all the students in the class met their grade level standard of achievement?

5. We have many bilingual and at risk students in our schools. What will you do to make sure that these kids are successful.

6. Describe your classroom management plan.

16. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I think it would be if the students are engaged in lesson/ activity.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

I just had an interview. Some of things I was asked were:

Many people today say that kids just aren't motivated and don't want to learn. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

What would you do if you notice a student openly cheating on a test?

You have a student whose performance in your class is less than idea. His or her parent comes up to you to gloat how well their child does at home. How would you respond to this?

How important is student behaviour?

These are the only ones that currently stick out. I will try to remember more later.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Aug 24, 2008

My classroom would be filled with student work, current events, school notices, and information regarding the community. I would make sure each and every student is able to give their input on our subject matter. I will constantly revamp my lessons to make them meaningful and engaging.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Aug 24, 2008

I think the first and next to last were trick questions.

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 24, 2008

EXCELLENT ANSWERS!!:clap:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.