Interview questions (2008)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lemonhead, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2008

Thanks for posting the questions. Those are definitely challenging questions. I'm going to save these for future reference and come up with good answers for them.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2008

Those are some tough questions, chuckie!! I'm sure I would have stumbled on most, if not all, of them.

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

4. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised they asked you some of these questions. I've been on about 10 interviews and most of these have never been brought up.

5. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

JW13 - it was for a high school special education position. While I am certified to teach that level, I am really not interested in teaching it. I'd prefer Elementary or Elementary Special Ed. I tried to find out in advance what the interview was for, but it was just classified as a "screening interview", not for a particular position even though it ended up being specifically for HS special ed.

6. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Jessica,

I hope they help. I copied and pasted all the questions from this thread and have been thinking up good answers, so I wanted to add my own. I hadn't seen any of these posted already.

-Charlotte

7. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

JW13 & Small Town Girl,

Yeah, the Vyogtsky question really threw me. I could remember his "Zone of Proximal Development" but for the life of me couldn't remember WHAT it was.

The math and reading theorists question REALLY threw me. She even gave me example of theorists names to jog my memory, but I didn't recognize any of them and wasn't able to retain their names in my memory so I can't even look them up. I was just wondering if this was something that is expected from most districts, but maybe not based on your reactions.

Unfortunately I don't think the interview went that well. I was able to answer the others questions, but the ones I couldn't, really stand out. It's not terrible because I'm not interested in the high school job anyway, but I probably blew it for any elementary positions that might open up.

Oh well, it was a learning experience!!!
    -Charlotte

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

Well, chuckie, don't feel bad. I don't think I would have been at all prepared for the theorist questions. I have never even discussed theorists since my child psych and ed. methods classes 12-15yrs. ago. I have never heard an admin. reference anything of that nature during my teaching career. I even had to look up Vygotsky when you posted the question. But, the other questions were fabulouse...thanks for posting.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2008

Those are about the best answers I can come up with. I think I would blank out on half of those questions in an actual interview!

10. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Thanks Newbie...I appeciate the reply. I'm in the process of getting ready for a teaching fair down there. :)

11. Proteus

Proteus Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

Okay. At least in these parts, it's customary for men to wear suits to their teacher interviews. I find this both puzzling and phony, but I am willing to play along. Plus, I clean up pretty nicely. *winky faced winky*

Now. I am sitting here in my suit and ready to take off for an interview, but I am reluctant to put on my tie.

I look better without it.

I feel better without it.

The suit is money.

The no-tie look suits ME better.

Should I go without it? Or is this an unforgivable stylistic faux paux?

Normally I've dutifully worn it, but it usually makes me feel like a big stiff. Literally.

Edit: I realize this is hardly an "interview question" but...well..sorta it is.

12. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

Proteus
    As long as you look professional and tidy(shirt nicely ironed and crisp), you do not need the tie.

13. Proteus

Proteus Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

Righteous. Thanks!

14. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

No Problem...GOOD LUCK!

15. smalltowngal

Apr 29, 2008

If you don't feel comfortable with it but still look professional, then don't wear the tie. Good luck!

16. Proteus

Proteus Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

Thanks. I nailed it. The whole no tie thing led to a relaxed Zen state wherein the interview was not an interview but an easy, engaged conversation wherein all the important "interviewy" things came up.

In that tie, I start pretending to be a grownup and nothing feels right.

I will never wear one again.

17. smalltowngal

Apr 29, 2008

GREAT!! Here's hoping they call you soon to offer you the job!

18. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 29, 2008

Glad to hear it, Proteus! Perhaps you'll be posting on our who-got-a-job thread soon!

In my student teaching reflection class this semester one of my male classmates told us about how he asked his students how he could improve and across the board they all said LOSE THE TIE!!! It apparently made him really uptight and less approachable. So there's something to this no-tie thing. :)

~Briana~

19. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 29, 2008

I never thought I would say this but I wish my suit had three buttons. I bought it before my interview in August for my job. I've worn the thing twice and tried it on for my interview next Thursday. It's gotten quite loose! Exciting, but I know my interview season might not quite be over yet. It will be okay, as you are sitting for interviews, and it's not as noticable....I may hit up TJ Max or JcPenney again before this interview.

20. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

I know what you mean I have a hard time finding suits that fit. I can't buy suits because I don't wear the same size in the top & bottom. I tried to make do with separate pieces that coordinate. I'm starting to hate shopping for clothes. Hopefully, I'll get a job soon & won't have to worry about it. :woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.