Interview questions (2008)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lemonhead, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSMY

RSMY Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

Interview questions

Hi Everyone,

Below you will find several interview questions, I was give at my last interview.

Interview Questions: 1. If students are having difficulty learning a skill or concept, what do you do?

2. what techniques would you use to keep students actively involved and motivated during a lesson?

3. some of your students always finish assignments early. How do you deal with the free time that they have?

4. describe your balanced literacy program

Hope i can get some help in answering the above questions...:D

2. Mrs.J

Mrs.J Companion

Apr 21, 2008

Hi MissWull :) Just wondering... what district was this for?

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 21, 2008

Others will disagree with me but I think it is more important to answer the question correctly on an online app or paper app than it is to answer them correctly in person. What I mean is, you may have not been right on the mark twhen you answered the question but she was still able to connect with your tone, body language, facial expression, personality etc. She was familiar with her questions so she was able to fill in some of them. If you would have answered a written question that way, I believe it would have been more of a negative.

I was going through my online app the other day, which I had already submitted, and I realized I didn't not even answer the first half of a 2 part questions!:eek:

I think you probably did great The fact that she said you could come back anytime to look around or ask questions is a positive. Did she mention to you when she will make a decision? Which grade was this??

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 21, 2008

Lemon

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

A while back I researched the concept of a balanced literacy for understanding. I found this & wanted to get input as to whether this covers it. In a balance literacy program you have to ensure you address all the components as follows:
    Read aloud - teacher reads aloud - this serves as a model of fluent reading, develops sense of story & vocabulary, encourages prediction, buidls a community of readers, develops active listening
    Share reading - student/teacher - this demonstrates awareness of text, develops sense of story or content, promotes reading strategies, develops fluency & phrasing, increase comprehension
    Guided reading - promotes reading strategies, increase comprehension, encourages independent reading
    Independent reading - encourages strategic reading, increase comprehension, supports writing development, develops fluency, promotes reading for enjoyment & info
    Model/share writing - develops concept of print, writing strategies & supports reading development, provides model for a variety of writing styles, models connection between sounds, letters & words, produces text that students can read independently
    Interactive writing - provides opportunities to plan & construct texts, increase spelling knowledge, produces written language resources in the classroom, creates opportunity to apply what has been learned
    Independent writing - strengthens text sequence, develops understanding of multiple uses of writing, etc.

6. RSMY

RSMY Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Thanks so much for your answers Teachling and Lemonhead.....I will post more questions when I can remember what i was asked.

7. volgirl

volgirl Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

i'm trying to come up with some questions to ask the principal during my interview...

-What type of support does the library have? (i.e. library secretary/volunteers/etc)
    -What do you feel is the main goal and function of the library?
    -What type of schedule does the library operate on?
    -Why is this position currently available? (this is one I'm not sure about)
    -Are there any aspects of the library you would like to see improved?

any other ideas?

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

On some of the postings for my district, it asks that you have Best Practices in Instruction. Does this mean, balanced literacy, technology integration, small group instruction, etc.?

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

From what I gathered, it encompasses a wide range of attributes that include what you have stated as well as early intervention, differentiated instruction, campus instructional plan. Would like to hear what everyone else knows about best practices.

10. andrea_45

andrea_45 Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Hi all! I've been reading this thread and found many great interview answers. Thank you all for taking the time to help others. I am now also a job seeker, and will be going to job interviews and job fairs soon.

I have one question which I stumped on:
    How would you handle a conference with a parent who does not think there is a problem with the student?
    Any answers will be appreciated.

Thanks

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2008

I would make sure that I had documentation of the students struggles and problems to present to the parent so they could be aware that there is a problem.

12. mmmteacher

mmmteacher Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Just a thought...

Hi I'm fairly new, I just happened to have an idea on this topic...I would imagine a good answer would have something to do with having excellent records/class work to show the parent and educate them on where their child is vs. where he/she should be...

13. mmmteacher

mmmteacher Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Scary thought...

Okay, I have an interview in 2 days, I can't sleep, because all of the education terms/ interview answers keep swimming around in my head! I'm afraid I have to know everything, and afraid the interviewers will expect me to know the developmental stages of every subject in every grade!
    Anyone else worried like this?

14. Grace

Grace Companion

Apr 22, 2008

How would you handle a conference with a parent who does not think there is a problem with the student?

Aside from documenting all behaviors and keeping records of work, I would make sure that you mention the fact that you also talk to the parents about the good things that the child does so they won't feel like you are attacking their child. (Hopefully regular communication between the parents and teacher has already occurred.) Then, when it is time to talk about the behaviors that need to change they will be a little more open-minded. Always start with a positive!

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 22, 2008

Keep in mind it might not just be behavior, it could be academic issues that the parent doesn't think are a problem.

In either event, I agree with what previous posters said. In regards to addressing the parent, I also think you need to say that you will absolutely positively hear the parent out and stay open minded. I think that if you know you are in the right, one of the things the parent should be made aware of is what this continued behavior or academic struggle might mean in the future if left unaddressed. I am talking more about natural consequences like loss of friends on the behavior side or being pulled out of class for academic issues, or possible failure in class. Then I would quickly follow up with some suggestions that have worked in the past with student with similar issues.

16. Shannon1980

Shannon1980 Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

I have gotten this questions a few times and I never feel comfortable how I answer it?? It goes something like this

Question: How will get and "go about" parent involvement?

17. smalltowngal

Apr 24, 2008

One of the first things I do is contact the parents within the first few weeks of school, just stating how excited I am to have their student in my class. Making that first contact a positive one will make contacting them in the future for any negative things easier. You could talk about how you plan on bringing parents into the classroom with career days, student readings (poetry, readers theater).

18. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

I posted this question earlier, but I think it got lost in the shuffle.. I've been asked this twice and I want to make sure I answer it correctly if it comes up again.

What area of the curriculum are you the strongest in?? What area of the curriculum do you need refinement in?? It's that annoying strengh and weakness question, but they specifically ask about subject matter.

How should I respond?? I'm strongest in math and I need to improve in writing, which I already have a plan. Should I not even mention my weakness in writing? If not, how should I respond?

Thank you!! :)

19. smalltowngal

Apr 25, 2008

GEG-if you have a plan for it, then by all means mention writing as your weakness, but be sure to bring up your plan to improve on it. That's what admin want to hear. We all have weaknesses, but they want to know that you have a plan to improve on it.

My strength is my flexibility, and being able to see when a lesson is not going right and change gears to get it back on track. Also technology integration, I try to incorporate technology in lessons that lend themselves to the use of technology.

My weakness would be time management. I've had lessons that haven't taken as long as I thought they would and lessons that have run over the time I thought they would so I have learned to adapt my lessons to include more activities and on the lessons that have run over, I've made sure to keep discussions and activities on track.

20. Shannon1980

Shannon1980 Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

So what do you guys say for the typical Strength and Weakness Question?

Q: What is your greatest strenght and your greatest weakness?

I don't know what to say for Strengths but I one for weakness.

A: Weakness: There are so many a creative activity that I plan for my student’s and class time is limited. It is difficult to incorporate all of the activities that I would like my students to learn from. Over time, I have realized that to prioritize my lessons are most important in order enhance student learning.

It probably could be answered better but, it kinda makes it seem as if it hardly a weakness? Any ideas for Strengths

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.