Interview... I have nothing to wear

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Koriemo, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jun 6, 2018

I was contacted on Monday to schedule an interview for today, Wednesday. I went through all of my old teaching clothes, and after taking two years off to have babies, none of them fit. I went to the two stores near me and found SOMETHING to wear, but it's not a suit, and not quite as professional as I would like. I have more professional winter wear, but it's about 95 degrees outside. I don't have time to go somewhere else since I live in the middle of nowhere and, well, aforementioned children.

I can talk about teaching philosophy, classroom routines, and differentiation all day long, but finding something to wear stresses me out! Going to go out to the mall this weekend in case I get more interviews!

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 6, 2018

I've never worn a suit to an interview since it's not an expectation where I live. I'm sure whatever you have chosen will be fine. If you do head to the mall this weekend, I've never gone wrong with a simple dress & cardigan. My last interview dress was from H&M and I think I paid $20 for it, so it doesn't have to be an expensive outfit. Good luck on the interview!

Linguist92021 likes this.
  4. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jun 6, 2018

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I have a business casual outfit that is perfectly appropriate for work or meetings... just not a suit or a blazer. Someone told me once to never wear a sweater to an interview, and that has stuck with me. Good to know not everyone feels that way!

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2018

I can't speak to women's clothing, but in general, just keep in mind that there will likely be many people interviewing, and while they ideally wouldn't judge you on your clothes, it can be something that sticks in their minds or brings one to their minds more easily. As a guy, I always wore a suit and tie - even though I almost never wear a tie otherwise - so that I could show my seriousness for the job. Again though - I won't even try to talk about women's clothing ;)

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jun 6, 2018

For my interviews this year, I wore dress pants, a blouse and a cardigan. I would have preferred to wear a suit but I really didn't have the energy to go buy one! At job fairs and other interviews, most people dressed like I did.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2018

You can’t go wrong with a white or any solid blouse and navy/black pants, IMO. A simple print scarf in same color of pants or gold/silver chain necklace and matching purse-bag/portfolio & shoes and you’re set.

Weather dictates your comfort. If you were going for an admin job, I’d add a black cotton blazer or soft shrug knit sweater for a/c. You can carry a sweater in your bag.

Good luck!!:)

otterpop likes this.
  8. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 6, 2018

Given that it's disgustingly hot right now, I don't think anyone would fault you for not wearing a suit. If it weren't for short sleeved jackets having been in fashion a decade ago, I wouldn't have anything resembling a suit for summer either. I have an interview tomorrow, the forecast is 94, so I'm wearing a dress and short jacket.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2018

Not a regular sweater...looks too casual, like part of school uniform! A nice church or evening sweater or shrug.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2018

I do think much depends on the area you are in. I have never seen a female candidate wearing a suit; business casual is the norm here.

(For my current job, I arrived at the interview in khakis and a school spirit tee. I had about 75 minutes notice of the interview--I was teaching phys ed for 60 of those minutes and had a 10 minute drive. I had time only for a quick bathroom break and to freshen my make-up.)

11. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jun 6, 2018

Interview went really well! I didn't feel underdressed at all, which made me feel better!

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 6, 2018

That's great!
    I second this. I also think wearing a plain knee length pencil skirt and a dressy blouse is a great choice.

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2018

As someone who has sat on a handful of interview panels, I can tell you that I have noticed candidates outfits, hair styles, jewelry, etc. while they are sitting across the table. However, I have not ever remembered what they wore for the long term, and I never factored in their appearance when thinking about whether or not I would like to have them join our staff. As long as they looked professional (suit, dress, blouse, sweater... whatever!), I didn't give their appearance any extra thought.

The one thing that does still stick with me, nearly five years after the interview, was the candidate who came to the interview smelling like he had just finished an entire pack of cigarettes before walking into the building. That was something that I had trouble seeing past, but an outfit has never stood out.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2018

And do not go to the bathroom and act like it’s your personal salon! OMG I did this!

One winter day, I rushed past the office asking security to show me the ladies room. I pulled off my hat and started fixing my hair and make up.

A lady came in and washed her hands. I had combs, brushes, etc. stuff all over the place!!

Pulled myself together, packed up my makeup bag, put on a smile and went to the office.

Guess who came out to see me??

Right! That lady was the P interviewing me!!:eek:

15. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jun 7, 2018

Too funny! I definitely did this in my car just before I walked in. With the heat and humidity so high, my hair could barely make it across the parking lot without getting frizzy.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 8, 2018

I have sat on a few interview committees now. I never notice what the interviewee is wearing unless it's in a bad way. Inappropriate, badly put together (stained, super wrinkled), etc... stick out in my mind, but as long as they look presentable I never gave it a second thought. I'm sure whatever you've found will be just fine!