Interview Help!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCreateInspire, Sep 20, 2018.

1. TeachCreateInspire

TeachCreateInspire Rookie

Sep 20, 2018

I really need advice about interviews. I graduated last December, and I still cannot find a teaching job. I have had multiple interviews. Some good, some TERRIBLE. I had an online interview and I had to record myself, and once again I froze. I just feel like I have no idea what they are talking about when they ask me a question on the spot about differentiation, parental involvement, how I create my procedures and routines, etc. All of my classmates have jobs, and I act like I've never heard these things before when I am in an interview. After the interview it starts to come to me, but when I'm put on the spot I can't find the words to say. This is becoming extremely frustrating. I have another preliminary interview and I would really appreciate any advice.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2018

Its not about spewing the ‘right answer’ It’s about knowing your self and conveying a sense of yourself as a teacher. You need to talk about what differentiation, etc would look like in your classroom. If you don’t know what those things would be for your potential students, it’s going to be impisssible for the interviewers to imagine and believe you can carry out the demands of the position.

4. TeachCreateInspire

TeachCreateInspire Rookie

Sep 20, 2018

During my student teaching I had to follow the way the lead teacher did things. Do you have any recommendations of books, videos, or research that I should try to read/watch? Do you think this will help me discover what I like and would like to try? I am someone that learns better by actually trying things out myself, and I've never really been given that opportunity.

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 22, 2018

Did you ever teach in another type of setting (like girl scout classes, or Sunday school classes or community classes)? If so, you could think about what you now know about teaching and apply it to those memories to get a better sense of how you would respond in the future.

Also, when you freeze, is it because you don't want to give a wrong answer? If so, a non answer is always a wrong answer, so try to give it your best shot at that moment.

I hope you figure it out. :) Best wishes.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2018

Was there anything in your ed program that inspired you? Some things to think about:
    Reading and writing workshop (Calkins and others)
    Math talk, problem solving (google Jo Boaler)
    Mindset (Carol Dweck)
    Cooperative learning
    Behavior mgt- stay away from traffic light systems. Can you manage kids without rewards?