INTERVIEW for 5th grade postion!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by montgm, Jul 18, 2007.

1. montgm

montgm Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Help! I am freaked out about this interview. My experience is with the younger kids. What types of lessons and activities do 5th graders learn about-particularly reading, writing and math

3. tnshoegirl

tnshoegirl Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

How soon is your interview? Can you get on line and look at your state standards? In an interview, you may not have to know the exact skills and activities for fifth grade, but you would want to be sure and mention your adherence to standards in developing your lesson plans. I have a lot of choices about what I do in reading. Although our system adopts a basal reader, this is only one resource I use. I love to do novel studies and fifth graders usually enjoy and can handle Literature Circles where I pick several books that go with a theme (Maybe a social studies theme like Civil War themed books) and have four or five students read the same book. I use Response Logs to go along with the books they are reading to have some accountability built in.

In my state, 5th grade is the year for the state writing assessment. I use a writer's workshop approach to writing. There are some really good books by Ralph Fletcher and Lucy Caulkins on this.

Although we touch on place value, and review multiplication and division, I would say that fractions and decimals, along with geometry are hit pretty hard. In an interview I might want to mention pretesting and differentiated math for my different levels of abilities. I use Sunshine Math for my accelerated math students.

I was once told that the most important thing to show in an interview was "heart." If you love kids, let it show.

4. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I highly recommend looking at your state standards. For Oregon, we do a lot with reading comprehension, writing longer, more in depth things (look at standards here), and math it's multiplication and division with large numbers, fractions and decimals, algebra, etc. See if you can find out what the reading program they use, that'll help a lot with reading.

5. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

I agree with the others. You need to look at your state standards and frameworks. Since I don't know what state your in, I don't want to give you wrong information. Although much of the curriculum overlaps, some of it is completely different.
    My best advice is to find out what reading program they are using. Communicating that you are familiar with the textbooks they use could be a plus at the interview. It just depends on what the school is placing an emphasis on. For example, what is their mission statement? Does the school have a website? If they don't, try googling the name of the school. You would be surprised at how much information you might find.
    Good luck!

6. montgm

montgm Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I am from New York State, and I will see if they have a website. Thanks for the help!

7. montgm

montgm Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

after the interview:(

Ok, my nerves totally got a hold of me. I just feel the interview did not go well. I don't have a problem at getting the interview, my problem is the interview itself. Any suggestions?

8. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

Have someone you respect interview you. I had the principal at my parent's school interview me before I started. It helped soooo much! He went through his normal interview questions and took notes on what I could do better then gave me tips. I had done two interviews before that and my ones I had after that I did a lot better on.

9. montgm

montgm Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

What type of tips did he give you? I might call my school I graduated from to see if they can schedule a mock interview.

10. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

Most colleges do mock interviews. I know mine did, but I was never there to do them.

One tip was that you need to talk yourself up. A lot of people hate talking about themselves too much so they don't sound cocky, but you need to make yourself sound like the best teacher ever.

Know your reading philosophy and your behavior management philosophy like the back of your hand. It's almost a given they'll ask you questions like that and if you really know what you're talking about, they'll be a lot more interested.

Don't make up an answer if you don't know what they're asking. At my interview at the school I'm at, they asked me how I would teach using Reading Mastery and I'd never heard of it so I was honest and they were a lot happier that I did rather than make up some answer.

I know there was more, but I can't remember them all now. You just need to be confident even if you're not. Good luck!

11. montgm

montgm Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

how did you find out what your reading and behavior management philosophy was?

12. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 20, 2007

It is what YOU believe works when it comes to reading and behavior management.

How do you believe students learn best and how do you plan on approaching these things in YOUR classroom. A lot of interviewers will ask you your philosophy on education in general.

For example: I am a constructivist who believes children should be active learners... and then elaborate on what kind of things you will be doing in the classroom that supports this idea.

13. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I think there is an Interview tips section somewhere on this site. snoop around... :D

14. tnshoegirl

tnshoegirl Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I think that is a really valid question. I'm pretty sure when I started teaching I copied what I remembered from my own school experiences. I think I always had control, but what I didn't always have was a feeling of community. I'm not sure my students felt safe to make mistakes in my class in the early years. I really regret that. I remember doing a research paper on positive reinforcement when I was working on my Master's degree. It just made sense to me.

I almost burned out teaching reading from the Basal reader. I knew the workbooks bored me and finally realized they bored the students, too. About that time, Whole Language came along. I realized I could be creative in my lessons. I began to do literature studies and I changed as a teacher. I went on to embrace Reading and Writing Workshop, and the whole feel of my classroom changed.

I guess what I'm saying is, I learned as I went. Although we don't always like to give up our time for professional development, it can be invaluable. Keep learning. Try to read books on educational practices. Try to always be involved in one new thing.

I think it's a good thing to admit in an interview that you are still forming those beliefs.