Interview didn't go well

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Jul 12, 2017.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 12, 2017

Well, I had an interview today at a school I really wanted to work at, but it didn't go well, so I don't expect to hear back. It was a panel interview, but very short. They asked maybe six questions and my nerves kept me from answering to the best of my ability. My answers were short. I just blanked, which is crazy because now I'm thinking of all the things I should have said. I have so much experience that I didn't convey. What's funny is that I'm usually pretty good at interviews, but it's been a couple of years since I went on one. I'm just going to go crawl under a rock now. Ha.
    I am perfectly fine going back to my current teaching job for another year, but it would have been nice to get my dream job. Anyone have any similar stories they don't mind sharing? Did something better come along later?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 12, 2017

I definitely think there are interviews I've had and afterwards I was like man I could've said this to show more of my knowledge and experience.

I was a bit rusty this year having not interviewed for 3 years and my first interview I totally bombed. But with practice I got better because they asked most of the same questions. Actually my 2nd interview was fine and a few others. I had another horrible one in there because the P was awful.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jul 12, 2017

Did you address any of the questions you feel you didn't answer well in your thank you note?

czacza likes this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2017

Great idea but it wouldn't make a difference in my district. Sorry.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jul 12, 2017

It probably wouldn't in mine either. We'd have already put that in the no pile, but addressing weaknesses is better than twiddling thumbs.

7. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 12, 2017

If it went that bad, I would just let it go. I had one this summer that was a complete disaster, afterwards I just moved on and never looked back. It went horrible because I heard in the waiting room that they were very interested in the first girl they interviewed. I should have just left right then and there. The interviewers never smiled and they were asking tough questions I have never been asked before.

8. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 13, 2017

Thanks for all of the responses. While I'm disappointed, it just made me realize that I'm out of practice. In my state, schools seem to take a break from posting job openings in July and then they pick up again in August before school starts after Labor Day. I'll just wait and see what else opens up. If nothing opens up, I'll head back into my current school this fall and throw myself into being the best possible teacher I can be this year.