Interventions

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by pwhatley, Aug 29, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 29, 2013

Hi, y'all. Most of you know that I have just moved to third, after teaching 5 years in 1st. I have some of my wonderful students from 2 years ago, which is a true blessing! I do need some help, though, in the form of suggestions:

4 of my students (one former, recently accepted in to SPED inclusion, 3 new to me) are extremely low. By low, I mean that they aren't even reading at the January benchmark for 1st grade. The three new to me came to me from different schools/states, so I have no knowledge of their backgrounds (except that one has 2 brothers who have been identified as SPED, so why hasn't she?!?!?!:dizzy:).

My former student has an extreme speech defect and some processing difficulties, and in the past, really used playing and goofing off as a defense mechanism to distract the other kids from the fact that he was failing (repeated 1st grade) and couldn't keep up academically. This year, he is markedly different - he is working like a champ! He even made an 18/20 on last week's spelling test! His strong suit is math, in which he is a B student. He is still abysmally low in all things reading and language arts.

With all that said, I am looking for reading interventions that will not bore 3rd grade students. My former student has "had everything we have thrown at him," to use a phrase (not really thrown, but we have tried everything we know in the past). His mom has gone to jail, and now that he is living with grandma, she is looking for materials to help him learn. I am more than willing to print whatever I can, and even purchase items (up to a certain point). I am already planning on printing sight word flash cards on card stock - 2 copies - one for home & one for school use in interventions. Please help me find creative and interesting ways I can help these babies make real progress. It is three girls and one boy, and two of the girls are even lower than my former student. I could go back to CVC games & such, but am afraid that would completely bore them,

Suggestions, PLEASE! and thank you in advance!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

Do these kiddos have computers at home? Websites like star fall, spellingcity...might be be good centers or independent practice.
    Simon SIO is a program some in my district have used with strugglers:
    http://www.donjohnston.com/products/simon_sio/

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 29, 2013

2 do, 2 don't. Ours kids live in a very poor, urban demographic. About half of my students of any level have computers. I love starfall & spelling city, and do use them in my classroom. I also used them in 1st grade, so I'm kind of looking for something new... does that make sense?