Intern Ready in California?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chicksmagee, Sep 28, 2018.

1. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Sep 28, 2018

Hey guys,

I am currently doing some student observations in high school math and there may be a position opening midyear that the school may be willing to hire me on as an intern. I definitely want to take them up on that opportunity if it were to come my way. I am pretty sure that I should be deemed intern ready by that time but am not sure and am a little confused with the resources I have found online. If someone could help me out, that would be great.

I have passed both the CBEST and all subtests of Math CSETs.

I am applying for my credential program right now for the spring semester.

I will be receiving my bachelor's at the end of this semester.

So I believe that by January, I should be considered intern ready. Any ideas?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 28, 2018

From the California CTC website:

“To qualify for intern program participation, an individual must possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, satisfy the basic skills requirement, meet the subject matter competence and US Constitution requirement, and obtain character and identification clearance.”

Also, it seems that there is a 120-hour minimum service requirement, but it seems like once you have your Bachelors and are hired by the district in question, you should be good to go.

4. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Sep 28, 2018

Yeah, I think it’s the 120 hr requirement I’m confused on. I am currently taking two teaching courses (3 semester units each) and working towards 45 hours of observation. So I’m not sure if that covers it. The other stuff made pretty clear sense to me when I looked that up on the website. Thanks!

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 28, 2018

A step-by-step rubric to getting your credential:

https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl707b.pdf?sfvrsn=e0d3a84d_2

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 28, 2018

@TeacherGroupie is the guru. She should be able to guide you in the right direction.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Sep 28, 2018

Thanks guys!

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 29, 2018

By the way, just in case you haven’t satisfied the US Constitution requirement, here is the cheapest and easiest option that I found that is accepted by the CTC. (By the way, I used this myself to help me get my math credential.)

http://usconstitutionexam.com/#2734

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2018

chicksmagee, you should take this question to your county office of education - unless people at the school have made it clear that you'd be welcome to apply for the internship, in which case you can tell them your concern and ask who in the district's human resources department you should ask.