interim sub 5th grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ariesfire8, Oct 18, 2010.

1. ariesfire8

ariesfire8 New Member

Oct 18, 2010

I am an interim sub in a 5th grade class until dec. and I am VERY overwhelmed. I have little support and I feel like I don't know what I am doing. I cry everyday about how much I hate it. I want to quit, but I still want to sub at that school, just not in that classroom. What do I do? I want to quit, but I need a good excuse. I feel it is in the best interest for the kids and for my sanity to just quit. I have 9 more weeks, I can barely make it through a day. Any help would be great!!!

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 18, 2010

Ok first take a deep breath. Why do you hate it? We need more detail in order to help. When did you take over the class? Is it the classroom management that you are having trouble with?

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 18, 2010

I think you should definitely try your best to stick it out. Plus, if you do end up quitting, it may tarnish your reputation at that particular school (they may look at you as though you couldn't handle the job).

In the real world (when you have a classroom of your own), you can't get up and quit when things get too difficult. My first year teaching wasn't a walk in the park; however, I got through it with a smile on my face! Most days, I didn't leave 'till 6-7 at night (plus I spent each and every weekend in my classroom). Nowadays, school gets out at 2:10 and I'm out the door no later than 3:00.

Anyway, please do what's best for you, but keep in mind that this is great experience for you and that these students are YOURS until December! You're fortunate to have been assigned a long-term sub job! :thumb:

Let us know how things turn out!!! :hugs:

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 19, 2010

I have just started a long term sub job in a very difficult fourth grade class. I have support from grade level and the administration. I have subbed in the class three times before and know I have to be VERY firm with the class. I fully intend to stick to this class. I have emotional supports of family and friends.

I would definitely try to stick with it. It will not look good for your credibility if you quit. I agree with YoungTeacherGuy.

It would've been different if you would have subbed in the class prior to taking the extended job and then declined it. I subbed in a developmental pre-K once and was offered the class for the year. (this was two months into the year) I declined, I was going home bored. I had no control of what went on in the room, was undermined by the OT whenever she came in, plus the room was kept filthy...I felt ill just thinking about the room. I also had no idea how to help/address the developmental needs of the students. (Plus I didn't like doing the same thing everyday-twice a day)

wish you well!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 19, 2010

I know it doesn't seem like it, but Dec isn't that far away. I'm assuming your last day is the day before we leave for Christmas vacation. Just do your best w/ what you've been dealtt w/. Have you befriended other 5th gr teachers to get any help they can give you. Maybe taken them to lunch one day if that's what it takes to really ask them questions in a relaxed setting. What does the principal do, has she observed you since she knows you're a sub? It doesn't sound like the principal is too supportive or just doesn't care, but make her see what you're going through.

But if all else fails & you just can't take it, how about saying you have an illness in the family & you have to take care of some matters. But make sure you're available to sub when Christmas break's over. In the meantime, try signing up to sub in another district. Are there others that are still local to you?

7. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 19, 2010

It is important that you speak to the other teachers on the grade to share lesson plans and advice on how to handle the situation. It is very sad that you are not given any help and that might make one think why do I want to sub in this school. Never the less,you can only do the best you can. Stop crying and making yourself sick. Create your own rules and stick to them. You are only there for a few months,I know that can seem forever,but it will pass quickly. Remember ask for help,some teachers will be supportive,set rules and stick to them even if it means you don't cover your plans every day and try to relax,it is only a job and you can only do your best!

8. ariesfire8

ariesfire8 New Member

Oct 28, 2010

I haven't quit yet, so I think I am going to stick it out. The principal said that she was going to provide me wih help, but this was after speaking to her. I tried to quit, I gave her my letter of resignation, but she was taken aback and told me to think over my decision and that she would help any way she could. The next day I told her that I would accept any help. So far, only one teacher stepped up to talk to me about any kind of help that I need. The team leaders haven't spoken to me at all. I think they are mad because I said that I didn't have a support system in place. The teacher that I am subbing for is really rude and blunt. She makes you feel like an idiot. I know that I am new at this, so yes I will make mistakes .I am not a seasoned teacher, but I just don't want to look like incompetent. I need help with writing lesson plans, teaching specific subjects, like science, since it is a huge part of a state wide test, and apparently there is a pacing chart to follow, so I need assistance with that, too. I guess what I need is to fnd a "buddy" in the team, however, the team is not that supportive and there is too much "talk" amongst the team, Should I ask the principal for a "buddy" to help me with what I need? Again, this teacher that I am subbing for is a bui looney. She is very condsending when she speaks. How do I handle this? I only have a few more weeks, but the stress is really getting to me. Thanks :)

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 28, 2010

Long term subbing is different from having your own class from day one.
    I did a four month long term sub. I was their teacher from Feb. to the end of the school year. It was very hard, draining, and emotional. But when it's your classroom day one, it's different. It's your procedures, your routines, not someone else's that you have to follow. Try to hang in there, and hopefully some of your grade level teachers can help you out too!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

What content do you need to cover?

Let us know what's coming up in each subject, and let the people here guide you in your lesson planning.

If there "apparently" is a guide you need to follow, then ask today until you get a copy of it. Start with the teacher from whom you're subbing. If that doesn't work, go to the team, and then to administration.

11. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 29, 2010

Ditto Aliceacc's comment. If you need help with certain subjects, feel free to ask. As a fifth grade teacher, I'll try to help you as much as I can.

12. mstomica

mstomica Rookie

Oct 30, 2010

I am sorry that you are going through that. I am willing and able to help you. Just let me know what you need help with.

13. ariesfire8

ariesfire8 New Member

Oct 31, 2010

well, here is the update, i was let go. The principal decided that it was just not working out. She fired me in front of the teacher I was subbing for. Basically, I didn't recieve any help, teachers at the school were nice to me, but they never came to the room to offer any help. I believe that maybe I was not ready for a class. Perhaps it was for the best. I wasn't geting the support I needed and I felt that I was never checked up on to make sure I was ok. I now know I have to be the one to seek out the help, no one is wiling to do it freely, Asking questions is important, I learned that the hard way. I am now debating on teaching at all. I had a horrible experience and now I am worried of the backlash. I appreciate the offers for help via posts, I wish the teachers I was working with were that helpful. I know I shouldn't care what others say, but I am nervous about what people will say about me, about beng "fired." I have to be honest, I am ok with the decision and releived it is over. No more stress and frustration. I have to say that the reasoning for letting me go is unclear. If I had to speculate I would have to say that the grades were one issue, kids weren't turning in work and their grades were bad, and I didn't write interims. I believe that was a big part, but I am sure the teacher I was subbing for had a part in it too. I am ok with everything. I only had 7 weeks left,but for the kids sake, I believe this was best. I feel bad because I didn't say good-bye, and now they are going to have another sub in the class. I cannot worry about what I did or didn't do. I didn't have completed lesson plans every week, the grades for the kids were bad, and I was overwhelmed by the material. This is a hard situation, but I know this is what was meant to be. Thanks for all the postings again!!! Live and Learn.

14. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 31, 2010

Sad you didn't get to say goodbye to the kids, but you still have the right attitude about everything. Reflection is key. And then rebuild yourself from those reflections and you should be fine in due time.

15. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Nov 1, 2010

First off, I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience :hugs:. You indicate that you are not a seasoned teacher.....any training? If you have had no experience, then it was very wrong of administration to ask that you do lesson plans, etc. In our district the teacher taking leave still has to make out the lesson plans.

Don't let this one bad experience turn you off from teaching (if that is what you feel called to do). As for the backlash and what people say..........who cares (except you). When it comes to other positions, explain it the way you did on A-Z. You tried to tell the principal it was too much. You even went as far as handing in a resignation letter -- apparently, the principal would not accept it, but promised you help and support. So in my humble opinion it's "shame on the principal" :naughty:. You tried, and you were honest (which I wish more teachers/subs would be).

So---hold your head high. :hugs:

16. ariesfire8

ariesfire8 New Member

Nov 3, 2010

I have my B.A. in elem. education and have been subbing for a couple of years. I was thrown into the class in a difficult grade under a difficult teacher. The administration never checked on me, which I felt was odd. The teacher left me with no lesson plans, nothing. I was very unprepared. The principal is brand new to the school, but still, I felt she wasn't very professional in the way she handled things with me. I have no ill feelings toward the school, most of the teachers, but I feel this was such a bad experience that I am now second guessing my career choice. I am not sure how I feel right now about the whole situation. This is just a lesson learned I guess.

17. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Nov 3, 2010

Too soon to give up on your career choice. You are in a poor situation with a new principal who is unsure how to handle the school..a different more supportive school would be a better place to decide if you want to continue.I wanted to quit many times during my first few years,but I stuck it out and are winding down a very rewarding teaching career.Good Luck.