Interesting way to review a test?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Croissant, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 12, 2012

I recently gave a revising and editing test that a lot of my students completely bombed. Naturally, I feel like I need to spend some time going over this test with them. I am trying to think of a way I can review the questions without lecturing for the whole period because, let's face it, that's boring. I want them to understand why they missed what they missed so that they can make corrections, but I just can't think of an engaging way to do it. Ideas?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

Can you make it a game? jeopardy or family feud might work.:)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

I'm sure this has been done to death:

Can you make up a ridiculous essay or story to use as a template? As you go through each of the editing/revison questions, have them hunt for a passage in the text where it would be appropriate.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Feb 12, 2012

What if you did a kind of scavenger hunt? Put corrected version of the test up around the room. Have the kids run around and correct their tests; then have them do a test correction where they have to justify why your corrections are right (ie, 1. A comma belongs before the word "and" in the sentence because a comma is needed when joining two independent clauses with a conjunction.)

On a side note, my kids flunked the first proofreading test this year because they made it harder than it really was. I had missing/incorrect end marks, capitalization, and spelling errors. They added quotes in strange places and a bajillion commas everywhere, even though we hadn't covered that yet. Maybe they just freaked out?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

Can you have the students work in groups to correct their tests and justify why those are the corrections that should be made?