"Interesting" conversation with a teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Sep 26, 2018.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 6, 2018

As for gr3teacher's scenarios, much depends on what the issue is - whether there is in fact anything Person B could do within reason to improve Person A's lot - and specifics of the encounter, not to mention the history between A and B.

As for futuremathsprof's, the sub was way out of line. It's scarcely even her business whether one is married, let alone why or why not. "That's my business, thanks" is a good response; on first question it can be delivered with a smile and perhaps a change of topic, and if the asker persists, the response can be repeated until the asker gets the message and lays off.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 6, 2018

With clarification, I was just saying that not all prayers can be said in a nice way. Some prayers masquerade as kind gestures, but they are anything but.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 6, 2018

Do they though? I mean, I'm not the religious type, but do people really think they are being helpful when they say that? I guess it's a philosophical difference... I just can't wrap my head around that.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 6, 2018

I think it's often meant as a similar sentiment as "I'll be thinking of you" or "Wishing you the best / a quick recovery".

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2018

Yes. People who believe in the power of prayer believe they are being helpful.

greendream likes this.
  6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 6, 2018

As a born again Christian, full disclosure, I find this thread interesting. I believe in Jesus Christ, the Trinity, salvation by grace through faith and a host of other doctrines from the Bible. I have studied many religions and have concluded that the Bible is right. The Bible also directs us to share our faith.
    That said, I do not share my faith with some of you because I read your posts and certain of you have all made it clear that you don't want to hear about it, and you have made your spiritual choices. That is your privilege and I respect it. I don't encourage you to examine what I would have to say about spiritual matters because some of you make it abundantly clear you don't have an interest in it, even to the point of mocking/minimizing it. That's your privilege and right, and I respect it. It's not that I don't care about you, I just realize you are disinterested or even, in some cases, opposed to my faith or the sharing thereof. It is respect for you that I don't blather on about my faith, not a lack of concern. Also, this is probably not the best venue for that kind of sharing, and is not the best way to have that level of conversation as we are connected here to discuss education.
    That said, when some people share their faith, it is out of concern, care and enthusiasm. Sometimes, that enthusiasm can be over the top for some people. When I express that I will pray for you, I will literally spend time talking to God about your needs. I am actively doing something for you. Additionally, I will offer to help you in any way you see fit. I think a different perspective is that the care and concern and prayers and evangelism comes from a loving place, even if to you it comes off as rude and obnoxious. I apologize anytime someone is insensitive toward your desire to be left alone. If I could talk with your friends, I would definitely encourage them to scale back until you reached out to them. Sometimes what I hear people say, or read what some have said to you, I cringe. That cringe comes from their delivery and their manner of speaking, not because I think they are trying to do a bad thing.
    It is instructive to hear your reaction to a person's concern/prayers/evangelism. At times, I myself have found the zeal of the Jehovah's Witness movement to be aggressive to the point of being offensive. I can imagine that you get tired of being the focus of someone's evangelistic tactics. I'm sorry you were offended, put off and aggravated. If anyone here ever wanted to discuss a spiritual matter, I am always available to them via PM.
    Just another perspective...though I will agree that the person should have had better discernment.

Backroads and czacza like this.
  7. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 6, 2018

I give most people the benefit of the doubt and say that I think that they are genuinely expressing something that they believe can help and are trying to do something good.

8. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 6, 2018

I'm going to have to respectfully agree to disagree with you here by saying that when you tell someone you're going to pray for them, you are actively doing something for yourself. I believe that you believe you're doing some good, but in reality, religion is always for you, not the other person. My religion is what works for me, just as Christianity is what works for you. You said this yourself, you studied several religions and actively decided that Christianity is right for you. I've actively decided that it's wrong for me. Logically then, you praying for me (or anyone just using me as an example) is for you.

And by the way I'm not trying to be an arse about this, that's my opinion of all religion. Mine is for me, not you. I have several reasons I don't discuss religion outside of certain circumstances including people get up in arms about it (not you, just in general).

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 6, 2018

Fair enough. Like I said, I respect your opinion. We don't have to agree on everything to be good colleagues or even friends. I wouldn't think you were trying to be a pain. :) I'm glad you are satisfied with your choice, and as mentioned, I am not here to convince you otherwise. Generally speaking, I don't discuss spiritual matters under these circumstances either. It just seemed I could add something for people to consider. :)

10. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 6, 2018

Agreed. I don't like it when people of any religion have this mindset that if you don't follow the same religion as I do we can't be friends or at the very least civil.

I have a coworker who hasn't said five words to me in three years because she found out that I am not Christian. In her little World, I don't think I actually exist.

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 6, 2018

I'm glad we can continue to have great conversations. Sorry about the co-worker.

futuremathsprof and Aces like this.
  12. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 6, 2018

Not your fault, no need to apologize.

13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Religious people are more likely to be charitable than non-religious people are.

"Religious practice is the behavioral variable most consistently associated with generous giving. Charitable effort correlates strongly with the frequency with which a person attends religious services. Evangelical Protestants and Mormons in particular are strong givers."

https://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/almanac/statistics/who-gives

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:12 PM

There are also many who believe in satire...

Backroads likes this.
  15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Joyful! has expressed her feelings and spiritual nature and beliefs in a way that is welcoming and respectful to others. I appreciate that. When someone is not coming from such a place as Joyful!, it doesn't come across as well. And, true, evangelizing is not the purpose of the forums here, though we have a prayer forum. The important thing is that members can choose to visit that forum or choose to avoid it. If someone insists on pushing their own beliefs on someone else, it comes across as superior and demeaning. Probably not the intention of any religious ethic. Whether an offer of prayer comes across that way or not depends on the internal and even unconscious intentions of the person offering it. When we feel offended, we may sense that the intentions are not welcoming or respectful. As in most things, actions speak louder than words, but that doesn't help too much on the computer.

Joyful! and futuremathsprof like this.
  16. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:29 AM

I'm not sure why my response needed such clarification. The question was why going to see The Book of Mormon would somehow make one a bigot.

I replied regarding why some people, notice I never gave my opinion about the play, think that way. It was not an attack on the play or who would or would not want to see it. I just researched why people were against it and clarified why some people think that it is religious bigotry to see the play.

I'm not sure how this is any different from people being offended by satire or "mocking" of Muhammad or Jesus or any other religion or religious figure. Some find it offensive. Some don't.

Backroads likes this.