"Interesting" conversation with a teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Sep 26, 2018.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 29, 2018

This particular friend IS kind of rude, to be honest. I still like her.

The Yom Kippur comment was a nervous reaction. Too many years of people trying to bring me to Christianity has made me a little knee-jerk.

whizkid, ms.irene and futuremathsprof like this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 29, 2018

Right you are. I hate it when people constantly try to convert other people to their religion. It’s incredibly rude.

3. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Sep 29, 2018

I know the feeling. I once had a colleague that for years kept bringing up the trinity. I'm Mormon, and the faith rejects the concept of the Trinity. It quickly went past a theological discussion to just being annoying.

4. Belch

Belch Companion

Sep 29, 2018

Who would find that "off-putting"? I've worked with many people of all faiths, and it sounds optimistic.

"off-putting"? I'm not seeing it.

czacza likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 30, 2018

It seems to me this is a situation where context, tone, and nonverbal clues could hold a lot of weight. It's easy to imagine the OP's conversation in either a conversational or a pushy tone.

I've found, as an adult, it's good to have ways to excuse yourself from any conversation that makes you uncomfortable, whatever the reason. In a similar situation, I'd probably say, "Hmmm..." and then, "Well, I better go make some copies. Enjoy your morning!"

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. Aces

Aces Comrade

Sep 30, 2018

Agreed...

But I've had it backfire too. I've had teachers chase me to the copy room, back to my classroom, wherever I happen to be going to debate Jesus and everything else.

7. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Oct 5, 2018

Sad.

Aces likes this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Oct 5, 2018

We could just stick to "good morning" and leave the religious undertones out of it completely.

9. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Oct 5, 2018

See post #28.

10. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 5, 2018

This kind of reminds em of when I told a coworker about my weekend plans-I was really excited because I had ticket to a Broadway show and I had been waiting months for it. She asked what show. I replied The Book of Mormon

She basically yelled at my and called me a religious bigot.

My response"...Well it did win Grammy so..."

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    otterpop likes this.
  11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 5, 2018

Why does that make you a religious bigot? Your coworker is obviously confused.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 5, 2018

There are many who believe the musical mocks the Mormon religion. Therefore anyone who would attend would be supporting the mocking of another's religion.

greendream and Backroads like this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 5, 2018

That's my wondering as well.

True, while plenty of us Mormons didn't care or were amused by the musical, others of us were more offended. Betwixt those emotions, I don't think there was much room for any religious bigotry.

14. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 5, 2018

Sorry, I didn't see this.

I didn't really think that's what was meant by the religious bigot comment (though I'm not involved in that conversation). The term doesn't quite imply, at least to me, the mocking of another religion.

(am Mormon, am slightly bewildered by the nature of the musical, but also don't feel it meant any harm)

15. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 5, 2018

I can see how someone trying to use your comment as a opportunity to convert you would be annoying. I used to live in the south and because I was the wrong type of Christian faith (not baptist) they were constantly trying to convert me. I found it annoying also.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 5, 2018

Honestly, I don't particularly appreciate hearing somebody is praying for me. I know there's no malevolence involved; they think they are being kind. But it's also a way to get out of a conversation without the possibility of needing to provide real help. Example:

Person A: [sad story]
    Person B: Thoughts and prayers
    Person A: Thanks

Alternate scenario
    Person A: [sad story]
    Person B: Well if there's anything I can do to help...
    Person A: Well actually... (or) Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

In one situation, Person A gets words. In the other, Person A gets the possibility of some assistance if it's needed.

I know there's a decent bit of illogicality to it, and I certainly know I'm overthinking it... the whole prayer thing just always rubs me the wrong way.

17. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 5, 2018

Alot of people realize I'm not Christian or Atheist which leads to whole conversations about what religion I actually practice. Then when they find out, there are several people who have been very gung-ho to convert me or remind me that I'm not following God's plan. That's nice, Janet, I'd be more concerned about that if I believed in Christianity...

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2018

Consider you being ‘rubbed the wrong way’ is on you. The person sending prayers may genuinely believe they are helping in the same way the person does who is offering if there is anything they can do.

greendream likes this.
  19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 6, 2018

It can also be done rudely and invasively. For example, I once had a sub at my school inquire about why I’m not married or plan to ever have children. I told this person that I’m not the romantic type and don’t want to enter into a romantic relationship of any kind in my lifetime, that I don’t date and have never wanted to date, and have never aspired to have a wife and children. The sub — a very religious person — went on to tell me how God instructed humans to go forth and multiply and that I was going to burn in Hell unless I changed my ways and that she would pray for me.

It shocked me how vitriolic her response was and it shocked my colleagues, too.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2018

Thats WAY different than the corcumstance to which I was responding