"Interesting" conversation with a teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Sep 26, 2018.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 26, 2018

Actual conversation with another teacher (OT here)...

Me: Today is going to be good!
    OT: You know why it's going to be a good day, right?
    Me: Um, because I decided it is?
    OT: No, because God is good, so He makes it a good day.
    Me: ...

Once I gathered myself together and realized there were no students around, I mentioned that I had taken last Wednesday as a personal day to observe Yom Kippur. He then launched into borderline evangelism. I had no idea how to deal and extracted myself from the conversation as soon as I could.

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 26, 2018

ouch!

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

Here’s what I do when someone proselytizes to me: “I’m sorry, I don’t believe I care. Good day.”

whizkid and ms.irene like this.
  5. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 27, 2018

To be fair, it's the same God this person was going on about...not that that makes it appropriate, or even polite, for that matter.

readingrules12 and czacza like this.
  6. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 27, 2018

If you observe Yom Kippur, why would you be freaked out by someone saying God is good?

2ndTimeAround, ready2learn and czacza like this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

I think the delivery of the message was off-putting.

creativemonster likes this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2018

Why be put off? One doesn’t need to share the same beliefs to just be accepting and tolerant.

greendream and Backroads like this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 27, 2018

While I do agree, I've found it's best to avoid political and religious conversations among coworkers I'm casually acquainted with.

dgpiaffeteach and Backroads like this.
  10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 28, 2018

OT's first response to cat suggests that either he was unclear as to how conversation is supposed to work or he didn't care.

When I say out loud that it's going to be a good day, I already know why I think so and I'm signaling that I'd like to talk about it. I think most of us know that, and my friends in sociolinguistics who analyze this sort of thing characterize a remark like catnfiddle's as a fairly standard conversational opening. The next move, on the part of a cooperative conversational partner, is to encourage cat to go on: "Oh?" or "Tell me" or even either "My day's going to be good too" or "My day's going to be rotten" followed by "But what about yours?" - the last two would signal to catnfiddle to share her good feeling and then make room for a conversational turn by the partner, or she could even decide to yield her turn in favor of his.

But OT's responses to catnfiddle weren't cooperative; rather than encourage after her first turn, he pre-empted her response, and then he told her what he thought she was supposed to feel. That's rude, frankly, and not - what is the word they use? - "winsome", at all.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 28, 2018

Conversation isn’t some people’s strength. Sounds like that whole conversation was small talk gone awry. The equivalent of answering “how are you doing today” type questions with something other than “fine”. Now you are more prepared for the next encounter.

“You know why it’s going to be a good day, right?” Answer? “Sure do!” Walk away. :p

2ndTimeAround and readingrules12 like this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Sep 28, 2018

I've had coworkers of various spiritual paths mention here and there in similar conversations a more or less gratitude to Deity over a day. I don't find the concept in and of itself weird if that's where it ends. "Yes, it is a good day, God is good." If the conversation avoids proselyting, I think only the fussiest will fuss over that.

I'm quite religious and the OP strikes me as a weird conversation.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 28, 2018

I have no problem discussing theology. Heck, he and I have talked about bible study in the past without incident. It was the manner in which the discussion was framed, making it seem like I was wrong for not immediately giving prayers of thanks for feeling happy.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 28, 2018

Yes, but it can be done in a non-forceful manner.

15. Aces

Aces Comrade

Sep 28, 2018

I avoid conversations of religious and political matter. In that situation, I would have said something along the lines of "Aha yes, good thing Pluto saw fit not to kill us all today. Good day, sir."

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 28, 2018

A friend who is ill got tired of hearing, "I'm praying for you." She started responding, "Oh, I sacrificed a goat to Baal yesterday, so I'm covered."

:whistle::spitwater:

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 28, 2018

Pfft, lol!

18. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 28, 2018

I'm not religious. I don't call myself an atheist but I also don't really consider religion in my day to day life. If this happened to me I would just say "yes he does" even though in my head I would probably thinking my day was good because of the workout I had that morning/great wife I get to see this afternoon/ect. I don't think me saying that instantly makes me religious and I would rather just agree than be off putting to someone with good intentions.

I also work in a state where its not uncommon for everyone to pray at faculty meetings, so I just stare at my shoes :)

19. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 28, 2018

It's so strange to me how different things can be in different parts of the US. Around here, there would be people who would definitely take issue with prayer at staff meetings.

ms.irene likes this.
  20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2018

Consider that you could have not contined the conversation after our colleague’s comment that God makes it a good day. A simple ‘have a great day’ would have suffced. Wereyu trying to connect and share your belief by relating your Yom Kippur holiday or were you reacting defensively?

greendream likes this.
  21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2018

That just seems rude. People who are praying for others are (hopefully) doing so out of kindness.