Interesting article about US schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Oct 6, 2018.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2018

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2018

Blazer-Those of us in the US are quite aware that many professional educators work in terrible conditions. It’s not everyone everywhere, but no student or teacher should have to work and try to teach/learn under the conditions in some of our schools. Add to that union busting attempts backed by multi-millionaires and a Secretary of Ed who did not send her own kids to public school. Yes, we are more than aware.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 7, 2018

I think there would be more outrage if the general public and even many teachers were aware that DeVos and other powerful people want to destroy public education.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 7, 2018

This is just unacceptable! Those teacher’s need additional funding and support.

This really infuriated me to the nth degree. How can you expect students to succeed when their chairs are disintegrating and classrooms have asbestos and bats in them?! How can you expect to teach 800 art students and only have a $100 budget?

What is wrong with the legislatures in those states that are allowing this to happen?

Ridiculous.

Backroads likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 7, 2018

I think what is happening is that the general public sees articles like these and then blames the teachers and schools for these problems, but they are failing to see that lack of funding and proper resources are the real culprits. Then, people like DeVos step in and say we should send students to schools elsewhere (private or charter) that don’t have these problems and everyone jumps on the bandwagon, so to speak.

I think public schools need to be reformed and adequate funding should be allocated. An increase in lottery donations, a slight increase in sales tax, etc, would go a long way if 100% of those monies went to public schools.

Backroads likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 7, 2018

It would be nice if there were some grassroots campaign to get parents and politicians to spend a day shadowing or volunteering in the classroom. If more parents were aware of the situation, they'd be more prepared or motivated to actively advocate for change.

readingrules12 likes this.
  8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 7, 2018

It seems the higher up one brings the problems in the classroom often the less compassion there is for the children. I am really getting tired of politicians and the people they appoint showing no end of apathy to the problems in the classroom that effect children directly. Something needs to change.

otterpop likes this.
  9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2018

The UK is going the same way. We are a little more 'Bolshie' over here and the vast majority of us would not spends our own money on supplies But in many schools we have degenerating buildings and conditions. We have had a pay freeze for 10 years. This year teachers were given a 3% pay rise however only about 40% of teachers will get the full amount. Most will get 2% or less. Education budgets are falling (or are stagnant) whilst costs are rising. Many schools are making staff redundant whilst at the same time CEOs in our 'Academies' (Copied from your Charter schools when Arne Duncan was adviser to our Government) award themselves ever bigger salaries. We have massive teacher shortages whilst there are approx 300,000 qualified teachers not working in schools. Teacher recruitment is below target for the 5th year running and 40% of new teachers walk in the first 3 years.

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 8, 2018

There are many different issues that cause these problems, and you can't look at what happens in one state vs another. In some case funding is a real problem. In others, it isn't as much a funding problem as a mismanagement problem within the district as a whole. One example of mismanagement was DC about 15-20 years ago. The funding was there, but because of mismanagement and cheating within the district work orders were being paid but the work wasn't being done. People were on the payroll but not working at all and other forms of mismanagement.

There are problems with high cost of health insurance in our country as a whole. The elevated costs has hit all types of jobs, not just teaching.

A full-time teacher contract even for a first year teacher should never be so low that they are on food stamps, but, yes a but, teaching is not a full year job and a teacher may be better off being just below the level able to get food stamps than being right above the level to get them. That level changes depending on the state. It is usually set as a % of the federal poverty level number, but the amount you make in PA to receive food stamps in PA may be very different than in NC. Then it also depends on how many people you have in your family. So, I think we have to be very careful with anecdotes, but we do have to look carefully at salaries and remember that they aren't full year jobs even though teachers work extra hours during the year or do additional training in summers which is not paid but required for their certification (just like happens in some other professions).

I know people who have tremendous jobs with huge salaries living paycheck to paycheck and running out of grocery money. so, I don't always buy into anecdotes about having multiple jobs and still running out of money. But I will say, if you have only one person working in a family these days, it is very hard, unless you have a very high paying job, to make it. Most struggle to have a family on one income without having to make major sacrifices.

So, the anecdotes are sad, but I don't always think the problem is funding.

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 8, 2018

The amount of money you're eligible for under food stamps is dependent on your income. So, if you're close to the border of eligible/not eligible, and you do qualify, you might get $10 a month or so. You would not get the full amount.

There's a calculator for SNAP (food stamps) benefits in California here: https://aix-xweb1p.state.or.us/caf_xweb/SNAP_Estimate/frmEstimate.cfm

I put in average bills for a two person household making $30,000 total before taxes. It said I wouldn't qualify. I can't imagine many teachers being eligible for food stamps, even if they were paid very poorly.