Interested in Career Switcher VA Program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachmathva, Jul 16, 2017.

1. teachmathva

teachmathva Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

I'm planning on switching careers. I want to be a middle school math teacher. I'm looking into the colleges that participate in the career switcher program in VA. Can anyone share their experiences with the program? I'm considering Regent University, Shenandoah University, Old Dominion University and Northern Virginia Community College. Currently, I live in NYC and was wondering if it is possible to complete phase 1 out of state. I appreciate the advice!

3. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

Hi! I am in the Career Switcher program at Regent. It is awesome. I actually signed a teaching contract 2 weeks ago for the upcoming school year. Phase I is mostly online but there are Saturday classes here and there that are mandatory. In my cohort there have been people coming from Northern VA, New Jersey and other places. What other questions do you have?

4. teachmathva

teachmathva Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

Thanks for responding teacher16! Congrats on the teaching contract! For Phase II, do they help you find a school for the first year of teaching?

5. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

Thank you!

No, they do not help you find a job. I will say though that I have had a good amount of interviews and even had to start declining more interview offers since I have signed my contract. Quite a few of my classmates have gotten jobs already too. I have had no issues landing interviews being a career switcher. Some schools I've interviewed with have actually liked that I am a career switcher and not fresh out of college. What I liked about Regent's program is you can also get your masters at the same time. Through the program I have already received my teaching license and next month I will be done with my classes for my M.Ed.

You say you are in NYC. For the career switcher program, your first year teaching has to be a full-time contracted positon in VA. It can be public or private school. If you are in NYC, I'm not sure how you would do that unless you planned to move. After your first year, you could teach somewhere else outside of VA but of course you would have to transfer your license, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions!

6. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

I wanted to add, applying for jobs is super easy. The applications are online and once you complete the application, anytime a job comes up you are interested in you can just click to apply. You do have to do separate applications for each school division though. There were also a few job fairs I attended.

7. teachmathva

teachmathva Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

That's good to hear. For the first year of teaching I plan on moving to Virginia. I'm definitely going to consider Regent. I like that you can also get your Masters.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

Great! It's a fantastic school. They are incredibly supportive and professional. My masters portion has been completely online. Not sure of your financial situation but they also offer financial aid for Phase I and the Masters but not Phase II. I had considered ODU too but for various reasons went with Regent and am so glad I did. Again, if you have any questions please ask!

9. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 18, 2017

I did it through NOVA. For me, it was an extremely beneficial path. I am now starting my 5th year teaching in public schools. You are REQUIRED to meet about six Saturdays during the semester, so choosing the right school is important. Plus, you will also be required to work on a capstone group project as well.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  10. teachmathva

teachmathva Rookie

Jul 19, 2017

Thanks for responding novaguy1968! For level 1, does the college help with placing students at schools for the 40 hour practicum?

11. novaguy1968

Jul 19, 2017

No, unfortunately not (directly, anyway)

12. teachmathva

teachmathva Rookie

Jul 19, 2017

Thanks for letting me know!

13. novaguy1968

Jul 19, 2017

You bet. Unless of course something has changed since 2013, but at that time, no.