Interactive Notebooks

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by maestraraven96, Jul 8, 2018.

1. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

Hi everyone, I am a Spanish teacher and this will be my first year teaching. I have been thinking about using interactive notebooks in my classroom. My cooperating teacher during student teaching had an interactive notebook idea but didn't really stick to it throughout the year. But I want to create a way to use the notebooks with Spanish and being able to use those flaps and I was wondering what things you guys have used in the past and your thoughts on interactive notebooks.

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Oct 7, 2018

Hello.
    I was wondering what exactly an interactive notebook is. Is it more like a picture book or pop-up book? I would like someone to explain this to me. It would be well-appreciated.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 8, 2018

Go on Pinterest an type in interactive notebooks. There are lots of ideas.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 8, 2018

I personally love interactive notebooks! I've read a lot of blogs about them and it is a great way for students to organize their notes. My friend who teaches science has the kids keep one and they do different activities in the notebook, like card sorts, foldables, etc. She keeps a piece of chart paper in her room with a table of contents so that every kid has the same thing on the same page. This is really great because a lot of my kids have disorganized binders. You can also use pages as just notes or to just write in them, not everything has to be a foldable, etc.

My concern with interactive notebooks is first of all the time it might take to create all of the foldables. You would probably have to teach procedures/routines for using scissors, throwing away scraps of paper, etc. unless you were willing to just cut everything out for the kids. My other concern would be materials. This year, I used binders instead of notebooks for my students because I knew that I would have a ton of kids who wouldn't have notebooks. The science teacher ended up buying about 50 notebooks for kids who didn't have any. There are also other supplies like glue, scissors, etc. that the kids might not bring in. I would love to try an interactive notebook at some point!! It is just the materials/time that concerns me.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 8, 2018

I’ve tried them with my 7th and 8th graders. I like them, and the kids like them. The trick is to work actually USE the notebooks after you make them. That’s the key to success with them.

The downside is that they take forever. And kids needed lessons in cutting and pasting and coloring. I swear they caged like they had never seen any of those items. I had to make one with each class to show them what to do.

I stopped making them because we were limited to the number of copies, and I couldn’t make enough for the notebooks.