Interactive Notebooks for ELA

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by OUOhYeah, Aug 6, 2016.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Aug 6, 2016

Has anyone ever done these before for grades 4-6 ELA? I would like to try it, but I don't know where to start. I'd also be afraid of having the students keep them as they more than likely will fall apart by the end of the year.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 6, 2016

I do a combination of interactive notebooks and regular note taking. My students love doing foldables and having things to cut and glue, but the regular note taking is much quicker, and I'm not sure that the extra time results in any improvement in learning. If you're worried about the notebooks staying together, I do recommend getting composition books instead of spiral bound notebooks.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    OUOhYeah likes this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2016

I like the notebooks because they help develop the necessary life skills. I mean a lot of my third graders couldn't really cut , glue or write on a sheet of paper properly(REALLY? o_O) a seemingly "easy" task, but nope. And then I realized, it's because when did they ever have the opportunities to do it? I mean everything we give them is usually pre-cut or already prepared, so there's no need for them to do it. This bothered me. Students should know how to fold a sheet of paper to make halves, fourths, eighths, etc.. I can say, with pride, that mine do. Everything I did I tried to think, "What additional real world skills can I teach them?" This is my problem with worksheets. What skills beyond circling the correct word or filling in a blank does a worksheet teach them? I struggled with note taking in third grade because they are young, but I did want them to develop the skill of listening and copying down things I've said and put on the board. The notes were simple of course, and involved pictures, but I think it really will help them in the long run. My students and I LOVED dictation. They were so focused to make sure they got every word I said down and spelled correctly (even though that wasn't my focus.) I had ELL's so they really benefited from it.
    We created our own interactive notebooks, which some may consider "a waste of instructional time," but if you look at the whole picture context, it's not a "waste."
    :)

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2016

Some teachers love them, but I never managed to figure out a great system. The cutting and pasting took away far too much instructional time. If you are going to do them my advice would be to figure out some great systems before starting. Best of luck! :)

otterpop likes this.
  6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 13, 2016

TPT has a wonderful interactive notebook download for grammar that I like. The author also has other interactive notebooks for sale on other topics. I use these foldables and activities for grammar and have my students do their own writing in a different section of the same notebook. I like that I didn't have to invent everything but can still take only what I need.
    https://www.teacherspayteachers.com...-Mechanics-for-Common-Core-Grades-4-8-1277526

7. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Aug 13, 2016

I like them too because they are more hands-on and interesting. Plus it's true what the other person said about cutting. We just started school and I'm SO surprised with some of their lack of cutting skills! I bought 3 versions of the notebooks from a teacher supply store. It's nice to have several versions of the same topic so I can pick the one I want.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2016

It's true, isn't it? Because no one ever thinks about teaching them those REAL WORLD skills. They just assume "Oh they know it already" and move on.. if it ain't on the test, why bother? I'll just give it to them already prepared and "save time." In my opinion, that's WRONG! Why not just give them pre-tied or let them wear velcro shoes their entire lives? Hmmm... there's probably a reason for that. We have to think about what we're actually teaching them... we're responsible for more skills than just test prep. I, a new teacher, did all these activities and still had AMAZING growth scores so... yeah... it can be done.

;)