Insurance provider

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Sep 8, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 8, 2017

Our insurance cycle (weirdly) starts over each October. We are switching back to a provider we previously had. It's a money thing I think. How often does/has your insurance provider switched?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 8, 2017

It's never changed in the 5 years I've been here, but our premiums and contributions have soared!

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2017

I think our update is in oct or nov.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 8, 2017

when I first started teaching, we had several different providers we could choose. I always compared plans and companies, so I Sometimes chose something different. A few years ago the state took over insurance, so we are all covered by the same plans. I contribute money to a health savings account. I make sure to have enough to cover my entire deductible.

My DH and I work in separate districts, but we have the same insurance. It's weird that the family plan costs more than each of us carrying our own insurance. He and DSS (22 year old law student) on his policy. I keep myself on mine. DH carries us all on vision. His district has better coverage than mine. I carry dental on myself because DH won't go near a dentist. Come to think of it, he's never been to the doctor since I've known him. Wait, he did get his eyes checked.

We renew our policies in October, but coverage is January to December.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  6. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Sep 9, 2017

Our provider has been changed twice in the six years I've worked at my school. I preferred the provider we had before the one we currently have, but my school changed it again to accommodate those who would want an HSA option - before a PPO was the only option.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2017

I've had the same provider for 18 years.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 9, 2017

The state decides our carrier. It changed a couple of years ago but I heard a rumor it might change again next year.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2017

Never.

Our provider is actually a trust operated and funded by our association (pseudo-union). It used to be pretty good, but now it's terrible. Many people are wondering if there is some financial mismanagement or embezzling going on. It's a mess. I wish we had the option to switch.

Backroads, otterpop and AlwaysAttend like this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 11, 2017

Our premiums have raised each year too! We have an inservice about it Monday. I'm afraid to see the new rates!

11. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2017

It switched a couple of years ago. I started school, and was warned not to get it. That was okay, husband had better insurance.

Then... they switched. It's pretty dang good insurance, and the school pays for a whole lot of it. Now we use my insurance.

The rates raised, but the school also raised their contribution, which was decent of them.

(Bah. On a financial rand side note, can we either just completely privatize or go single-payer? I'm sick of this middle ground crap.)

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2017

Agreed, they need to pick one and go with it.