Insensitive Principal, part 2

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aprilshowers, Jun 10, 2014.

1. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

Jun 10, 2014

I posted last week about my insensitive principal who non-renewed me unjustly after 3 years of service at my urban charter school. He then, among other things, hired someone else, allowed this new teacher to go through my things (including my laptop) and leave my room a mess, took her around during lunch and introduced her to my students, etc.

Last week, I ran a school-wide event. It was a very important event with the biggest parent turn-out of the year. I specifically asked my P if the new teacher would be there. He said, "no, that would be disrespectful. You've worked really hard and this is your night. I want to honor you." He then brought her to my event anyway and introduced her to parents and students as my replacement. It was humiliating.

I found out yesterday that she has turned down the job over the weekend! He did all of that before she ever signed the contract! What a fool! Also, now my students are saying things like, "the new teacher must have not liked us" or "the new teacher must have thought we didn't do a good job" and are taking the fact that she is not joining the school personally!

How is this level of incompetence tolerated?

3. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2014

Serves him right. What an amateur. I do feel sorry for the kids though. You be sure to build them up.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 10, 2014

I find it a bit funny:D I agree with HeartDrama, build your students up. Would you consider staying if asked?

5. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 10, 2014

principals tend to be shuffled alot in our school district. I would see if you could wait him out, unless you have already turned in a resignation letter.

I would not let him pressure you into resigning or telling people its your choice.

Definitely build up your students and tell them that no matter what anyone else thinks, you think they are great and you believe in them.

*** The other teacher might have seen how much work you put into the program and realized that the principal is a jerk and decided not to work for him, which would be a very wise decision on her part. She might have picked up on how he was treating you and decided she didn't really want to have the same treatment***

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Jun 10, 2014

At this point, knowing I'm leaving, I would probably tell the principal how he's hurting the kids with his actions. I would tell him exactly how the kids feel, and how sad it is and this was due to his premature actions. I would use different words, and be more diplomatic, and would only do it if I was definitely leaving (which sounds like you are.)
    If I was asked I would not stay, this principal has very bad work ethics, no common sense and doesn't know how to treat people.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 11, 2014

Honestly, I don't know how you are continuing to go to school every day. I wouldn't. No way. If I had that little value to the school, I couldn't see myself going there every day with a smile.

What do your coworkers think of this situation?

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 11, 2014

And, as awkward as that all was for you, I can imagine it being just as awkward if not more for the replacement teacher. I presume she is a decent human being, and hopefully (and clearly must have) saw how horrible the situation was for you.

Although, maybe not if she went through your stuff-and your laptop-leaving it a mess. I can't imagine doing that to a fellow teacher.

In any case, if this principal decides to trot another potential replacement through your room in this manner, I hope you make your feelings known.

9. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

Jun 11, 2014

3 more days of this. I made a phone call to one of most supportive parents yesterday and told her everything. She was outraged. She is very influential and immediately phoned her best friend and another supportivr parent, the president of the pta. I decided to stop feeling shame abot being nonrenewed. He may cite my unwillingness to teach 1.2 time as not being in the best interest of the kids, but evidence suggests he is the one who doesn't know what is in the best I interests of the kids.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2014

Excellent! I'm glad you've decided to stand your ground. Let the PTA do what they please with him. Mwahahahaha!

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jun 11, 2014

Maybe the "new" teacher noticed how the dimwit principal acted towards you and decided she wasn't going to take that crap. I don't blame her!

12. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Jun 11, 2014

It's still terrible the way he's been treating you, but there must be some satisfaction in the news that the replacement teacher turned down the job. I think she must have realized that he's not a boss anyone would want.

13. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 11, 2014

Best post of this entire thread! :)

I've been following it since it started, but not commenting.
    I think you've hit a homerun on this one!

14. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 11, 2014

MUCH better than writing a letter to your boss! :2up:

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2014

Lots of incompetent people are in management positions.

The only question is will you tolerate it and come back next year if asked?

16. snowball2014

snowball2014 Rookie

Jun 12, 2014

Problems start and end with administration

17. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

Wow. If that guy went into the hospital to get an ass transplant, it would reject him.

18. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

Jun 12, 2014

:agreed: