Information for Student Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Love to Teach, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jan 29, 2011

I have a student teacher coming soon and would like to put together some sort of introductory folder for her to ease her transition and to make her feel welcome. I was wondering if anyone could share things that they have done for their student teachers' first days or what their cooperating teachers had done for them? Any ideas or insights would be much appreciated. :)

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 29, 2011

I had a binder with:
    seating charts
    bell schedule
    school map
    school calendar
    lesson plans that the students recently completed
    state standards

also gave her a yearbook so she could see photos of staff and learn names

I cleared out a drawer for her in my desk

Seems like there was more, but I can't remember what ...

4. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jan 29, 2011

This really not for informational purposes like a folder, but one thing that my cooperating teacher did for me which made me feel comfortable is meet me for coffee one morning, then she made sure to meet me at the office the first morning so she could get me signed in. Sounds like such a small things, but it really helped me to feel comfortable and welcome!

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2011

Roster, seating charts, student and teacher handbook, IEP/504s or at least a break down of any accomodations students need, as well as any other medical or health issues (diabetic, asthma, allergies, etc.) A drawer is nice, or I just gave mine access to my desk, so if she needed the snacks, pads, meds, etc. that I kept in my desk she was more than welcome. I actually gave mine her own small desk. A school calendar, break down of how grades work

6. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jan 29, 2011

Thanks so much...all are great suggestions!! :)

7. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jan 31, 2011

Perhaps you can share some of your expectations of her. I had a mentor teacher that expected several things from me, but I had no idea until it was too late for me to plan out or implement. For example, I had to go to a Dr. Appt, and he wanted me to have sub notes for the time I was gone, even though he is there everyday and knows the routine.

8. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jan 31, 2011

I think probably a roster, a printed list of your expectations, school rules, bell schedule, staff handbook (if there is one), seating chart with kids pictures if possible, maybe a list of admin, frequently needed phone numbers (tech support, nurse, etc), other teachers that would be good to know.

9. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 31, 2011

When I did my student teaching, the best thing my cooperating teachers did for me was to give me space of my own (just a table in a corner). This was I didn't feel like I was invading their space, and was especially nice when I was doing my own planning since I had a place to keep everything.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2011

I agree with what a lot are saying here. Please introduce the student teacher as a teacher, not just a person in the room. I think this will help your student teacher be respected by the students as well.

I didn't really have a space not a big deal to me... but what I loved was that the teacher allowed me to make copies of whatever I wanted for my future position. I will tell you I've used quite a bit of it!!!

11. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 31, 2011

I would be as inviting and warm as possible. I like the suggestion of meeting for coffee before hand. Its a simple way to break the ice and to set expectations.