Infighting

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Missy, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 3, 2018

I am having a tough year at school, so far, and when I come on this site I am looking for some professional dialogue and something to make me smile.
    Unfortunately, it seems that there are two or three members who just want to one-up each other and are very confrontational.
    Am I being too sensitive, or is anyone else experiencing this reaction to many threads?

Maryhf, Ms.Holyoke and Hokiegrad1993 like this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2018

I've noticed the same things at times. I think that it's always important to remember that if we expect respect from our students, parents, colleagues, administrators, and the public, we need to show respect for each other. We all come from different places and experiences; none are better or more "right" than others, they are simply different.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    futuremathsprof, bella84 and Missy like this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2018

I have to agree. It seems to me, that over the last few years, many new teachers who have joined this forum use it not as a respite to gather encouragement and useful information, but as a home to espouse their own argumentative ideas and prove how much better they are than others.

bella84 and Missy like this.
  5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Sep 3, 2018

I have several members blocked for this reason. I got tired of the snarky, rude comments on every thread that had little to contribute to the conversation.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Aces

Aces Cohort

Sep 3, 2018

To be honest I'm probably guilty as charged. So if I am sorry.

7. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 3, 2018

Yes. TBH, I've come and gone from this forum many times over the years because of this very thing. There are people who come on asking for advice and they're just cut down for needing the advice. It especially goes to classroom management when someone has an issue and someone else comes on bragging about how high their own expectations are and how they never have problems. If you believe ANY teacher has classroom management down year after year, I've got a bridge across the East River for sale. I am a firm believer in we rise and fall together. If teachers want respect from the public, we need to begin by giving respect to each other, because we're the only ones who know how hard this job is. If you feel big by making someone else feel small, get out of my life.

futuremathsprof and Aces like this.
  8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 3, 2018

Aces - you are not one of the members doing this, in my opinion.

futuremathsprof and Aces like this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 3, 2018

This one has always been a little like that, at least compared to others I’ve been around. It’s not the worst, but definitely close. Usually the argumentative ones fade away after awhile.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 3, 2018

This is true!

There was a member who was nitpicking every word of each sentence I wrote because he said he was a former administrator. Actually, he was argumentative in pretty much every thread, though. He's been MIA for a spell!

bella84 and svassillion like this.
  11. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Sep 3, 2018

I think I know who you mean. I had to take a hiatus for some months away from the forum because I was just tired of arguing with him all the time. Every response I would give I had to strategically word myself since I always expected a challenge and no matter how well I fought my case he would throw a monkey wrench and start arguing about something completely different. I only came back because I noticed he wasn't posting and I'll be gone if he ever chooses to come back. It's too bad because it's such a powerful platform to bring teachers from across the world together.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 3, 2018

Muting another member is one alternative. Please report any post or poster if you feel that the rules of respectful discourse have been broken. Thank you.

13. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 3, 2018

Missy,
    I have not posted for a long time on this site because of this issue. It is too bad that some teachers are so condescending and arrogant. I had someone blocked because she was often so rude, but she posts so frequently it was easier to just not participate. I appreciated all of the help and advice that was given by people who wanted to help. I hope your school year goes well.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 3, 2018

Missy,
    I'm sorry your year is so tough so quickly. If there is something you think I can help with, or something that could be encouraging, please let me know.
    I come here to learn and to commiserate and to laugh too.
    Here's to a better four day week for you!

Missy likes this.
  15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Sep 3, 2018

I am guilty of this at times. I apologize to those that I offended and will try to tone it down going forward. I have at times derailed a thread (okay a lot) not to be argumentative, but to try and provide clarification on what I meant to say as other members misinterpret what I said.

You are right. We *should* be more supportive of each other and I should not be so opinionated. Sigh. Really, I don’t mean to be abrasive or a butt.
    I don’t believe I used any invective. And I hope no one thinks I insulted them. I don’t think I called anyone any names...

To sum up, I hope I didn’t make anyone leave. You guys are awesome and I like learning from many of you. It’s fun to bounce ideas back and forth and I hope that you stay.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 4, 2018

I just ignore them. Also, it's frustrating when people who are not even teachers seem to have an opinion about everything. Aren't there other sites for non-educators?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2018

Please do report problematic posts and threads. While an individual infraction may be minor, having a paper trail helps moderators and the site owner discern problematic patterns.

18. socalenglish

socalenglish Rookie

Sep 4, 2018

I agree, and so happy that this thread is open.

I am on and off this forum, and many times would really like to respond to posts, don’t because I don’t want someone to go off on a tangent and criticize me.

We are teachers. Some people on this forum do not act like a teacher.

I feel like I am in high school sometimes, trying to to be part of a clique.

I am 65, been teaching maybe 12 years, and this forum a place where I can get and give some sound advice.

Lately , this is like “ Mean Girls.”

Who needs that.?

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 5, 2018

Lately I've found that by the time I have time to comment something I think may be useful, the thread topic has gone way off the rails and no one ever sees or comments on my post. It's frustrating. Years ago I could count on coming here for professional discourse.

Joyful! likes this.