Ineffective parents who seem to ignore warnings

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Jerry Dill, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Mar 19, 2017

I have a couple newer students at my school who are not completing homework assignments, not studying for quizzes, failing quizzes, and getting C or lower grades in my courses.

I was hoping to enlist their parents in helping me to get the students to work on these areas in order to raise their course grades. One parent at first replied to my email, and he said he was "on it" and going to make sure his son finished the missing homework. A couple days later, he emailed me saying his son reported being finished. Since I hadn't yet received the written assignments, I replied asking him to ask his son to email me. Shortly thereafter, he replied saying his son was getting more "squirrelly" and apparently had not finished some of the assignments. Meanwhile, it is over one week later and I still have not received any of his son's missing homework, and the parent has not emailed me. In class, the kid keeps telling me that he's working on them and will have them soon. But each week, he also gets one new writing assignment, so he's falling further behind. No. This kid is not special needs. And I know this kid can do the work because he cranked out the same written length last semester in 50 minutes for a timed quiz when he was still a new student and was doing his assignments. I gave him an "A" last semester for a little bit of work, so he also knows he can get an A from me if he does the work.

But what about this type of parent? Why can't the parent motivate their child to finish overdue homework, so the kid is getting A grades instead of C grades? Doesn't the parent have some tool or disciplinary punishment--no tv, no internet, no play time with friends--to get their kid to finish overdue homework?

I had another parent complain about something in my course to my headmaster when I informed her that her daughter had failed a major test in one of my classes. I contacted her to see if she could give me information about her daughter's studying and homework efforts, and I explained I wanted to help her daughter be more successful in my course. But the mother hasn't responded at all to my email from one week ago. Does the mother not know her daughter's studying habits? Does the mother not know if her daughter does the readings? From what I can see, her daughter doesn't do some of the readings and doesn't do some of the homework, and both of these factors will lower her final exam performances. Does the mother just expect I will give her daughter a higher grade if she doesn't finish the reading and writing assignments? Is this just a power play for the mother?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2017

I think you seriously need to look for a new school climate.

4. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Mar 19, 2017

Believe me. I'm trying. I'm actively on the market for another job and have had numerous interviews so far. I just need to get a decent offer, and I'm gone.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 19, 2017

Parents like that are everywhere.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2017

If you read the OPs post history you'll discern a school culture of overinflation of grades, lack of admin support AND parent power. That all doesn't exist everywhere.

7. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Mar 19, 2017

I agree there are problems with my particular school, but I have talked with a nearby public middle school teacher, and she says that the parents in her school pressure her to raise grades, too. She also says that her middle school cannot fail any students for failing to submit coursework. I think there are some problems in other places too.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 20, 2017

It's not your job to make parents do their job. If they don't do their homework then they won't get credit for it. I would stop wasting time emailing parents who obviously have better things to do than help their child succeed in school.

Teacher0909, anon55 and Caesar753 like this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2017

This.

Plus honestly I wouldn't be holding my high schooler's hand about homework. I'll check in, of course, and keep occasional tabs on grades online, but no, I'm not going to sit at the table every night and make sure that homework gets done and check in with the teacher the next day to make sure that it gets turned in. Some lessons are best learned through experience, and if that means that my kid has to scramble later to make up for bad academic behavior now, then so be it.