Indoor Recess

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissScrimmage, Jan 26, 2019.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 26, 2019

Indoor recess is pretty rare here. We always go outside. But we're heading into a week of temperatures of -30C and colder. We could potentially be inside ALL WEEK.

What are your best indoor recess games, tricks and tips? We had indoor recess on Thursday and my students were pretty happy to draw, colour, play with the base 10 blocks and read. But that's going to get old fast and they are going to need to burn energy. We have 3 recesses per day. Two 15 minute recesses and one 40 minute recess.

We do GoNoodle regularly for brain breaks. Any other ideas that your students love?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2019

I have a closet of recess games- legos, connect 4, puzzles, clue jr, etc. Plus they can sketch, play math games I’ve taught them, read

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2019

I have games and cards for the kids to use at recess. When we are stuck inside for a few days in a row, many of us will pop on a movie for those who want to watch.

otterpop likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 28, 2019

GoNoodle does have some videos specifically for indoor recess, if you haven't tried those. There are some 10-15 minute ones that work great.

6. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 30, 2019

I've used GoNoodle and most of the kids like the videos. Some are too embarrassed though and either just watch or go do something else.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 2, 2019

Thanks for the suggestions! We were inside all week so we played board games, play dough, did Go Noodle, drew pictures, caught up on unfinished work and so much more. Hah! It was a blur and we were all pretty DONE by the end of the week. I enjoyed the down time with them and spending time playing with them, but I am so ready to go back outside this coming week.

MrsC and otterpop like this.
  8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:23 AM

What grade?
    We have had a lot of indoor recesses lately. I introduced the class to Silent Ball, and they LOVED it. And the room was quiet. All but a few kids want to play this at every opportunity. For your kids who like to draw, have you checked out arthub.com? It's a collection of short videos where a dad is teaching his kids step-by-step how to draw different pictures (dragon, penguin, dog, you name it) and the kids in the room can follow along and draw their own pictures. I'd say these ideas would work for second grade on up through fourth or fifth.