Individual White Boards/Shower boards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 16, 2007.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I have a couple of questions, because I have never seen these being used:

1. If using Shower Board, how big do the individual boards need to be?

2. Other than math equations (and I'm really showing my lack of imagination here), how would you use them?

Thanks for the info!
    Blessings

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

They are great for any quick check question... What's the noun in this sentence? Who was president during the Civil War? Stuff like that. It's a fun review.

My problem is that the older children tend to write or draw, um, inappropriate things on their boards to get a laugh when they hold them up. :p

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I can see that they would (draw stuff). After all, it is during the developmental stages when we (teachers) have them (students) that they begin learning things like loyalty, peer pressure, and HUMOR! I'm still trying to picture it in my head. Do you ask the question, then they write down what they think the answer is, then they all hold up their boards together and those who got the answer right get a point? (Kind of like the old Newlyweds game). Sorry I'm so dense.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

have them write answers as you ask questions. you could do it with spelling, grammar, having them copy a sentence and then fix it, there are tons and tons of things you can do with them! i'm having mine cut into 12 x 12 squares

6. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I use them when I teach cursive, I teach a letter and then we pratice on the boards, saves paper. I also use them in reading groups to do CROP-QV and have them answer questions. I use them in math of course to answer problems. In centers the students use them to play spelling hangman and work on flash card problems. The kids use them to do mock spelling tests on each other.

I use them any time I need to see something but don't want to waste paper. I love having them around.

I made my 1 foot by 1 foot. That seemed like enough room for them to write what they needed.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I got the biggest board available at Home Depot and had it cut into rectangular pieces about 15x20. The people who cut the boards can tell you how to get the most pieces out of a single sheet. I've found that size doesn't matter too much (hee!).

I use them for review games in a Jeopardy! format. I'll ask them to give me a particular Roman numeral or vocabulary word or the name of the first emperor--whatever we're reviewing at the time. It's great to do when we have an extra 5 or 10 minutes at the end of class.

I give points to the kid who gives the correct response the fastest. Sometimes for harder questions I'll tell them to hang on to their boards and not show me until I ask, and then I'll give points to everyone who got it right. To keep everyone involved, even the kids who aren't as quick, I sometimes give out points based on class ("Okay, our winner for that question was a sophomore, so all you sophomores... give yourself one point and give Francisco a round of applause!"), or gender, or whether you were wearing tennis shoes or glasses or earrings or have a tattoo. The kids LOVE when we do this!

I often award extra credit points to the winners, like a bonus point or two on the next quiz.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Oh, and bandnerdtx: are you currently teaching band? I was a band nerd for over 12 years, and loved every minute of it! I played french horn and flugel horn in Marching, Concert, and Jazz Bands and Orchestra. Did I have a life outside of band? Not so much, lol!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Oh, and the individual whiteboards are a form of ongoing informal assessment, so be sure to put that in your lesson plans and on your evaluations!

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Wow! Thanks for the scenarios! That really helped. Okay, so size really DOESN'T matter, Lol! Okay, if we are departmentalized (or even not), do I make boards for ALL students to carry around with them, or do they stay in the classroom?

Born2teach84: What is CROP-QV? I've never heard of it.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Absolutely! All of my instructors have dwelled extensively on "authentic" assessment, whether formal or informal, but they never mentioned this! It is probably so common that they didn't think of it!

12. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

have them write the answer, hold it up, then you check it out and have them put it down so that others don't copy

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

PW, no, I'm not a band director. I teach English! I'm in a community band here in Houston, though. I play the flute (and percussion, sorta).

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

They stay in your class as a class set.

You should also plan to find something to use as erasers. Some teachers here use Dollar Store sponges, dry and cut up. I use plain old washcloths from Wal-Mart--20 for $3 on sale. I keep the washcloths in a decorative basket in the classroom next to the white boards, and I take them home periodically and bleach them.

I require all students to have one dry erase marker (any color except yellow) as part of their regular class materials brought to class every day.

15. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

keep them in your room or they'll never make it back to you

16. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

CROP-QV is a reading strategy we teach our children. It stands for:

Connection
    Reaction
    Oppinion
    Prediction
    Question
    Visualization

We start the year by teaching this strategy. They write it on paper and react to a story by making connection, predictions, asking questions, having oppinions, visualizing what they read. It helps them through the tests but mainly helps makes better readers.

(this is a short summerization of what CROP QV is. We do alot with this acronym but this is the main gist.)

17. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Spelling spelling spelling. It's the same thing has having them practice on their notebook paper as you read words, but they will pay attention and have more fun if they're using a marker on a board.

that simple. Plus you can make all sorts of competitive games out of it too.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Oh, I get it! I have been taught the different strategies (the three connections, visualization, etc.), but they were never put together like that! Makes sense! The only difference is that we have two more than your list. Go figure.

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Oh, thought of yet another couple of questions:

How often do you have to wax them, and do you let your students do it?

Does the wax have to be turtle wax or is another brand just as good? I know in some instances you DON'T want to try a different brand of whatever.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

You only need to wax them once. I don't plan to wax them next year, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt if I did.

I let my early bird students do it one day last year. They enjoyed doing it, but it totally stank up the room. Is stank a word?

I got the regular name brand turtle wax because it cost the same as the generic stuff. I've never used the generic stuff, but I doubt it would be all that different. We're not protecting the white boards from bird poop like we do our cars (can you imagine?!), so any kind should work.

21. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

We make chants and raps out of it so the kids know what it means. They love it and it really helps them because it is catchy!! It is a county wide used acronym so when children move schools they know what it stands for and how to use it. We do really neat things with it and build on making meaty questions and things like that.