individual or community supplies????

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by krissy83, Jul 29, 2008.

1. krissy83

krissy83 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Hi everyone,

I keep going back and forth over whether I want to have students have individual supplies or have community supplies. If I did community supplies I would either keep them in a caddy in the middle of their group of desks or keep them on a shelf and have the "table managers" retrieve them when needed.

Right now I'm leaning toward doing a mix of both as I'll have frequently used items like pencils, glue sticks, scissors, etc. in personal cases, and things like colored pencils and markers and extra crayons in community bins.

Which do you prefer and why?

:thanks: Krissy

3. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Krissy,

I am a 2nd year teacher and I am also going back and forth between personal and community. My class had a hard time doing the community last year. So this year I am going to do a mix of both. I bought little minature rectangular baskets for each individual student to put their pencils, crayons, scissors, and glue stick. I am going to have baskets for the colored pencils, markers, extra crayons for them to use as a community. I am assigning my students into groups by names. I am going to label a basket in the center of their desks. Somethings like the frogs, butterflies, grasshoppers, and fireflies. Their community baskets are also going to correspond with their group names.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

I think the mix idea sounds perfect for second graders. My students two years ago all had personal supplies. Last year we had community. Will you be supplying them or will they bring their own?

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 29, 2008

I have always had individual supplies. I do keep extra glue sticks, scissors, and a crayon crate of extra crayons for when someone forgets to replace their own supplies.

6. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

i keep individual supplies everyone labels their stuff then i put all the markers in one tub, all the scissors in one tub, etc...they keep crayons, pencils, and if they have a personal sharpener in their box in their desk...

7. krissy83

krissy83 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

The school does not allow teachers to ask parents for school supplies so we have to provide everything. I had always thought everyday school supplies would be provided by the school at least but from what I'm hearing from the other teachers it sounds like it's mostly our responsibility.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

Make sure you ask about a budget. I didn't ask last year and actually had budget money I didn't use. When I did find out about it (Feb) it was to late because the budget was frozen. It can't ask to hurt!

Good luck with everything.

9. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

My coworkers have always asked for things like pencils, gluesticks, and colored pencils to be brought it. They have community supplies. My first few years there, I went along with it. Each year I had a parent or more complain about buying things that weren't just for their kid. Which I can understand. So, this year I have purchased all of those basic school supplies with my school budget money. We will have community supplies with the exception of crayons. I ordered those with classroom money but each student will have their own tub of crayons. It always seems like there are lots of students who get irritated by the others who break or lose the crayons. So, I thought I'd give this a try and see what happens.

As far as the community supply storage - there is a small basket for each table that has a pencil for each child and an eraser or two. When they need a new one, they put the dull one in "old" and get a sharp one from "new". One of the jobs at the end of the day is to sharpen pencils. I have a basket in the front of the room for markers, glue sticks, scissors, etc. They get those as needed. This year I might upgrade to cans or something 1 for each table of those items. Not sure yet.
    :sorry:Sorry this ended up so long!!

10. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I use "community" supplies. I have school money (which isn't always enough) and buy extras with my money during the sales.
    Each table (5 desks grouped together) has a tote with 5 cups...3for crayons, 1 for scissors/glue sticks, 1 for pencils and an additional "colored" cup for pencils. Each table has a different color cup...I use the "color" as a way to organize tables, lining up, etc. Glue bottles (in one tub), markers (one tub per table),
    and colored pencils (one tub per table) are kept on shelves. When needed, one person from each table gets the necessary supplies. This has really worked well. For many years I had tables in my classroom so students really didn't have a place to store supplies. Last year and this year, I have desks. Their desks are not so messy!!!! I'm currently teaching at a school where all supplies are provided for the kids.

11. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 2, 2008

The last couple years, I had some parents who labeled their kid's supplies, and some who did not. I kept glue in community bins and looseleaf paper, too. Pencils, scissors, crayons, etc were kept by individuals. I did it this way because some kids' parents make a point of picking out special items that kids just don't want to give up to the general public at the beginning of the school year. Community glue and paper has worked okay, but because some of the glue sticks were labeled with names, kids pawed through the basket until they found theirs. It wasn't a real big deal, however, on this year's supply list, I stated something like:
    "Label these items with your child's name:"
    (crayons, pencils, erasers, scissors, etc)
    "These items will be community items, and need not be labeled:" (Glue, looseleaf paper, Kleenex box) That way parents know upfront what to expect.
    Also, because some kids end up with really poor supplies... like cheap scissors or cheap glue that doesn't work, (or sometimes no supplies) I usually make sure I have a stash of fiskars scissors (I add a couple more each year), crayons, and decent glue on hand. Those I usually end up purchasing out of pocket right before the school year when all the great sales start.

12. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Anything the kids will need on a daily basis, they keep in their own desks for themselves. (Pencils, markers, crayons, etc.) Paper is supplied as needed by the school. Things we use less often, like scissors and glue, are kept in cabinets and only brought out as needed. (They belong to the school.) As a general rule, everything the kids need is supplied for them as part of the materials fee for the year; it's up to the teachers, for the most part, to decide which things will be individual supplies and which will be community. I do build up a community stash of crayons as I find them dropped on the floor, though...then when kids realize theirs are missing, they can use the community ones. And while I listed pencils as in the kids' desks, they are really community pencils; they are just required to have two pencils at their desk each day. They switch them with sharpened ones as needed during the day, but should end the day with two pencils at their desks, just as they started out.

13. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I have done community supplies in the past, however it became a pain and certain students would constantly lose supplies and keep coming back to our community supplies. this year i took a sharpie and put the child's number on EVERYTHING...including each crayon and marker. I know it sounds like a pain but it's going to alleviate a lot of headaches this year when things are found all over the floor. The studetns will have their own individual supplies in their desk.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 9, 2008

I do mostly community supplies. Erasers and crayons stay in students' boxes. Pencils, glue, scissors, markers, etc... are community. I found that we use less of the supplies this way. My kids know that when they need a new pencil they can go get one out of the drawer. Glue just goes in a bucket to use, and scissors go in the scissor rack. I teach my kids that it doesn't matter whose you use (I just rhymed :D ). Just grab one and go. I learned from my internship not to let kids keep glue and scissors in their desk.

15. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

This is exactly what I do, too.

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

As a parent, I would not mind buying supplies for community use if I knew up front like your supply list states, the supplies would be used as community supplies. What really upsets parents, I think, is when parents have allowed their child to pick out the color handled scissors they like, bought special sparkly pencils, and the like only to find out those supplies become community use.

So - I think what ever you decide about community supplies, PLEASE let parents know up front before they purchase the supplies :2cents:

17. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I've used this method with my students for the past two years. For 5 years before this, all supplies were personal. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner! :2up: Daily items are now personal, but crayons, glue sticks, and scissors are community items and are handed out on an as-needed basis. This has worked so much better for me, and also reduces the chance that kids will break and throw crayons, which is always an issue in my school.

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 10, 2008

This is a good point. That's why we (our school) ask for specific color pencils, folders, notebooks, etc...

19. yostie

yostie Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I used both personal and community supplies last year and LOVED having community supplies but ran into a big problem... I had a girl with MRSA, then pink eye, then some other kind of sickness, and she passed these things onto other kids. Pink eye just would not LEAVE that groups table... duh! I couldn't figure out why!

I did end up having one of her members catch MRSA as well, but I don't know if it was from the supplies or not. Either way, it scared me enough that I went back to personal supplies. :0

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I don't think I'll ever go back to community supplies again...except for kleenex, notebook paper, and germ-x. It's so much easier to preach personal responsibility to kids when they have to actually be personally responsible, even if it is just being responsible for their own pencil.

21. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I think I am going to have them put one box of crayons, one glue bottle and glue stick, and scissors in their desk. But...if they are caught breaking the crayons, gluing stuff to the inside of their desks, or cutting things into tiny little, teeny little, itsy bitsy, drive me crazy pieces :woot: (oh, sorry):blush:, then they lose them to a community box.

As far as pencils go, there is going to be a new procedure this year that they have two at their desk and if they break them, they may get from the can. If there are none, they may borrow one until the next day when the pencil sharpener has had a chance to sharpen some. As far as special pencils that they win, buy, or bring in, those may be sharpened at the rotary sharpener on the wall, but only during non-instruction time. The last two years, pencil sharpening has been a huge problem in my room. I am looking forward to a better year! :p