Individual Book Boxes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by longhorngrl, Aug 6, 2010.

1. longhorngrl

longhorngrl Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

What do you use in your classroom for individual book boxes. I am going to have around 25 students this year and each will need a box. I don't want to spend a fortune on these. Anyone have any good/ cheap ideas?
    thank you!

3. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

This was my first year doing book boxes...I used shoeboxes donated by parents...I know---tacky. But they served their purpose! If I don't have enough bins this year I'll have to do the same thing again. I didn't have time to cover the outside of the shoeboxes with pretty paper. Maybe I could get a parent to do it at home...?

4. carealot

carealot Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

I use IKEA magazine holders. They come in a pack of 5 cardboard ones. They were the cheapest option I found. They have lasted 3 years except a few that had to be replaced.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

My first year teacing I bought the cheap cardboard ones. Our school actually got them for us through a office supply store for a great price.
    Then I found reallygoodstuff.com! I bought a class set of the plastic ones, and this will be my 5th year using them. One of my best purchases ever made. They don't fall apart when students drop them or are rough on them.
    Others have asked students/staff to send their empty cereal boxes to use for book boxes. I've also seen teachers buy the plastic drawers that have 5 drawers the same size. They have to buy 5 of them to get a class set. It takes up a lot of room though.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

I use the plastic really good stuff one. I believe they are 12 for $40. They last forever, though.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

We have an awesome "dollar" store called The 99+ Store and they have everything plastic a teacher could dream of. I have some plastic book boxes that cost 1.49 each.
    In the past I used dollar store baskets with handles, however the handles break easily and the fall over easily.

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

At a literacy workshop that I went to in the spring, they suggested having the children bring in a cereal box. Then, when they finish reading the books, they can read the box.
    I don't have room for boxes, so I use gallon ziplock bags. They store them in their desks.

9. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 6, 2010

I have used the plastic magazine holders from Really Good Stuff, however, I am getting small square one from the dollar tree this year, I got tired of the magazine holders falling over all of the time!

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

This year I ordered plastic totes from Classroom Direct.

Last two years I used cereal boxes and massively duct taped them first. Worked pretty well.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2010

This year, I purchased a class set of vinyl (I think) Dr. Seuss bags at Target for $1 each. They aren't huge, but are large enough for a student to keep up to 4-5 books, and they are very cute!

12. longhorngrl

longhorngrl Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

Thank you for your replies. I went today to Ikea and got the magazine holders. I hope they hold up! Should I tape up the bottoms of them to make them sturdier? Any suggestions?

13. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

Genius!:thumb:

14. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

Colorful contact paper for shelves might work.

15. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2010

I use large Ziplocs.

16. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 8, 2010

I don't know whose idea this is, but I recently saw someone use donated (FREE!!) pizza boxes. They were cool because they were flat and easy to stack.