Indiana Core Content Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by laceyk8, Jun 8, 2014.

1. luttpj01

luttpj01 New Member

Mar 14, 2017

I have been taking the social studies test for middle school and haven't passed it yet in four attempts.....it was pretty much the EXACT same questions each time I took the test...I would say 90% of the questions were the EXACT same.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. aburke9

aburke9 Rookie

Mar 14, 2017

Thanks for your reply. Don't ya just wish they'd let you know what questions you missed instead of just the domains you need to work on?!!

Michelle T likes this.
  3. luttpj01

luttpj01 New Member

Mar 14, 2017

Yes I am now finding myself second guessing all the questions its now a mind game more than passing the test!

4. Hiral Patel

Hiral Patel New Member

Mar 15, 2017

Hey I have started my path of obtaining a Indiana teaching license via Advance degree alternative route. I need to take Secondary pedagogy (006) and Life science Content area test to obtain my license. Can anyone help me with what material is best to prepare for those test? I don't have teachers degree. I have MSc in Biology and currently teach biology lectures and labs at IUPUI. ANuy suggestions on where should I start with?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, Hiral Patel.

If you're teaching biology on the university level, the life science content test should cover material that's quite familiar. You might take a look at Indiana's science content standards and curriculum, posted on the website of the state department of education, to discover other content that Indiana includes in life sciences. The discussions of other states' science tests on A to Z's Single Subject Tests subforum may also be helpful; you can reach that subforum by scrolling back to the top of this webpage, clicking on Examinations for Teachers, and choosing Single Subject Tests from the list that results.

The pedagogy test will require you to know and apply terminology and practices in teaching and child development. Given your background, your best bet might be finding a pedagogy textbook - if IUPUI offers teacher education courses, the university bookstore or library should have several - and working through it, or perhaps hiring a tutor. Pedagogy exams are also discussed in the Other Tests subforum, though not that frequently: navigate there by going back to the Examinations for Teachers link as I explained above.

6. Wendi Wallet

Wendi Wallet Rookie

Mar 16, 2017

Print out the test blue print and start taking notes. In my experience, the study guide that matches the test is the one sold by Pearson. Memorize those questions! The practice test that they sell only lasts for 90 (????) days in your account.

7. Hiral Patel

Hiral Patel New Member

Mar 17, 2017

Thank You very much. I will try finding resource at IUPUI library.

8. Hiral Patel

Hiral Patel New Member

Mar 17, 2017

Thank You. I did buy the secondary pedagogy practice test with Pearson. Its good for 120 days. Is it the same as pearson study guide you talking about?

9. Wendi Wallet

Wendi Wallet Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

Yes, that's the one! Good luck. I am still taking notes and it has been 10 days straight of this nonsense.

10. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

HI all, I still need a resource on the teacher scenarios in the Math portion of the Indiana Generalist. I even asked a math professor who could not find any. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it!

11. Beast bear

Beast bear Rookie

Mar 25, 2017

I heard there was talk about changing how many years you could get a emergency permit. It is 2 years. I heard talk about changing it to 3 years. Does anyone else know anything about this?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 26, 2017

To be honest, a math professor wouldn't be first on my list of places to look for resources for teaching math to the general population (though a professor of math education might be a better bet). Try looking up lesson plans in math for the appropriate grades, especially in Indiana. It may also be the case that the state department of education has resources for teaching math.

13. kimmie23

kimmie23 New Member

Mar 26, 2017

Last year, I passed the historical perspectives on the first try. I used the information here and found the mometrix book. I used that book to get the basic gist of the information. I never got too far. I just read through the book. I tend to focus on background and little things that others don't look at. So, there was a lot of specifics. But, as far as the indiana information, I didn't study that much. What I did was look at the wiki page for indiana history. I went off on a few tangents (just because I was interested in a topic). I did that for about three hours before I left to take the test. I was surprised to find out that I did the best on that topic on the whole test. Now, I'm sure I passed by the skin of my teeth. But, I did pass. I was surprised that the information was from the beginning of time to today. If you have any questions, you can message me and I can help. I don't have a degree in history. But was about 3/4 of the way there before I graduated with a business degree. I have to pass middle school math. So, if anyone has pointers, please let me know. I help out in 7/8 grade math. I'm totally confused by the teaching questions. And, honestly, I'm scared out of my wits. I was planning on teaching middle school math, so i'm really worried that I won't pass.

14. Beast bear

Beast bear Rookie

Mar 26, 2017

Has any one bought the 240 Tutoring study guide for Elementary Generalist? If so is it worth the money? It did really help you?

15. Foofdaddy55

Foofdaddy55 New Member

Mar 27, 2017

I am taking the historical perspective tests again this week. What did you use to study for the world history part of the test?

16. Beast bear

Beast bear Rookie

Mar 27, 2017

On my 3rd try I just passed the math portion of the elementary generalist. Now just English and social studies to go.....

futuremathsprof and Michelle T like this.
  17. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

Congrats to you! Keep up the great work! Can you send some brain power my way?

18. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

I did purchase 240 and liked the ease of use. However, I found that science and math subjects did not really match up. The questions were like the Praxis. I also liked the way that the owners of the website communicated with me. They were very encouraging.They also refund your money if you do not pass the test but pass their test at a certain percentage.

19. Beast bear

Beast bear Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

I have now passed the science and math test. I still have the reading and social studies to go. I am on a emergency permit. I have get these passed by the end of the school year. For the math test I paid for both practice tests on pearson. I broke down each question and all the answers to each question. I took a lot of notes as it helps me to write it all down. After the first and second test I took I went straight to my car and wrote down questions I did not know at all. (this really helped me) there was a lot of the same questions the 3rd time around.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  20. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Mar 30, 2017

I am done! I finally passed! It took a long time and a lot of persistence, but it is over- all the tests. I have a lot of thoughts about it, but the best one is this-- I am done. I have been thanking God over and over! To the rest of you-- don't give up! You can do this! I think that Mathhelp.com was the best thing for me to purchase since I had forgotten many geometry concepts.

futuremathsprof likes this.