Indiana Core Content Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by laceyk8, Jun 8, 2014.

1. madamewells

madamewells New Member

Feb 15, 2017

I have been told I am teaching English MS next year. I was planning to take the test but even after teaching for 19 years (I have a World Lang degree and a Journalism degree) I am afraid I won't be able to pass it. Has anyone taken it? What kind of things do I need to do to prepare? I am very nervous spending $114 dollars to take a test that I don't know I can pass. Any suggestions?

2. Tramell

Tramell New Member

Feb 15, 2017

I just broke down and orderd the mometrix study guide. Hopefully this will prepare me for the p-12 pedagogy!...this entire process is a money racket to me. I wish you all the luck on your test!

3. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Feb 15, 2017

Wow, that is so much money. Can you look at the local library for SAT guidebooks or ACT guidebooks?I also like anything by Barron's. They have AP US History and I bet they have AP US English, too. If you have an Ollie's store near where you live, you can sometimes find them for cheap OR just use your local library. I used Barron's for months. I think they just purchase those types of books because someone requests them and they end up on the shelf.

4. IndyLeo

IndyLeo New Member

Feb 17, 2017

Historical Perspectives and English Language Arts
    Hello everyone! I am currently working on a teaching license through the alternative licensing path's advanced degree option. I wanted to share my experiences with the Pearson exams for these two content areas. I took the Historical Perspectives exam this morning and passed it. That test is no joke. In my opinion, the best and only way to study for the amount of info that exam wants you to know is to read textbooks, literally front to back, and study especially the time lines and how events relate to each other chronologically. I used Clifford Backman's "The Cultures of the West: A History" (volume 1, to 1750), Lynn Hunt's "The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures" (volume 2, since 1500), Carol Berkin's "Making America: A History of the United States" (volume 1, to 1877), Eric Foner's "Give Me Liberty: An American History" (volume 2, from 1865), and James Madison's "Hoosiers and the American Story" for a full Indiana history. I would also recommend buying Pearson's sample test; although the questions will not be the same, the sample test could show an area that was skipped when studying.
    One final thing regarding the Historical Perspectives exam, DO NOT buy the overpriced and completely worthless Mometrix test preparation book. The sample test offered in the book is nothing more than a history trivia quiz that could be taken (for free) online. The Mometrix book was a terrible waste of money and Quizlet would have been more useful. (On that note, if anyone has bought the Mometrix book, please message me so we can talk about just HOW BAD the Indiana section was, I look forward to this.)
    Regarding the English Language Arts exam, the Pearson study exam is extremely helpful because the answer key is much more descriptive than for the Historical Perspectives sample test. This test is much easier than the historical perspectives test as the requirements for knowledge are way less broad. Mostly, the English Language Arts exam tests comprehension and is very similar to the GRE in that aspect.
    I would be happy to answer questions about either of these exams. Good luck to everyone out there studying and let us all try to stick it to Pearson by passing these exams on the first try!

5. madamewells

madamewells New Member

Feb 17, 2017

Did you take the MS ELA test or the 5-12 exam? What kinds of things were on it. Was there a lot of terms and vocabulary? I have several Pearson teacher edition Literature textbooks and have access to Gradpoint English grades 5-12 as well as Odysseyware English grades 5-12. If I take those courses, would they be sufficient if I also bought the test materials? I am not an English major or minor, I didn't take a lot of English in college but I have a literature base from my World Languages and from my Library Science, but not a lot of information about terms. I have a good background with writing and such because of my Journalism degree. I found several quizlets with terms for English on them and have started to review them. I don't want to spend a lot if this test is way above me.
    I also thought, as a review, I could do some of the MIT (and other university) open course classes that are free. I know there are several literature based courses available. My issue is do I need to study more of the terminology or do I need to study more of the stories and the content. (i.e. Do I need to read 5 or 6 novels?) It is all multiple choice from what I understand, correct?

Thanks for your input. I am so on the fence about this. I have asked for an emergency permit next year and being that I am one with 2 different license renewal dates, I have next summer when I renew my other license so I can add on then as well.

6. IndyLeo

IndyLeo New Member

Feb 17, 2017

Hello, I took the Content Area Assessment English Language Arts (test code 021). Not sure if this is the exam you are wondering about, but I can answer your questions in reference to this exam. I was not an English major either, have a BA in history and women's studies and an MA (in a couple months) in history. I actually did not study for this exam before the day before I took it. On the day before, I reviewed the study questions that Pearson has on their site (this is a great study tool as it shows a question from each section) and then bought the practice test. I then worked off of this test to see what I needed to concentrate most fully on in reviewing. This seemed to work for me, I got a 243 on the exam. Most of the test, probably 80% is reading comprehension-main idea, which is an example of an opinion, what does this political cartoon say-and then 10% vocabulary (poem structure, definitions, etc), and the remaining 10% teaching strategies. [This was just my experience with it.] My advice is to buy the study guide for whatever test you want to take and base your decision on whether or not to take the test on how the practice test goes as the practice test for the English Language Arts was extremely similar to the real thing. If you are confident in your reading comprehension, you should be confident in your ability to pass this test. Hopefully this was helpful to you!

7. madamewells

madamewells New Member

Feb 17, 2017

That helps a lot. I am good with reading comprehension, I was under the impression that it was terminology and things. I will get the practice test set and see how I do. How long ago did you take it?

8. IndyLeo

IndyLeo New Member

Feb 17, 2017

Great, I am glad that helped! I took it February 3rd. If you have experience teaching, you will do fine. I am still studying and working on pedagogy stuff, so those questions were complex for me but will be easy for you. Please feel free to contact me again once you start studying! Really I think you are in great shape!

9. madamewells

madamewells New Member

Feb 17, 2017

I have read so many bad things about these tests and so many people not being able to pass them. It has stressed me out a little, but who knows... I may be OK.

10. IndyLeo

IndyLeo New Member

Feb 17, 2017

I was in the same boat until I basically just ripped the band-aid off and took the exams to see for myself. Prepare the best that you can and then see how it goes. Have confidence! It sounds like you are in a good place. Sending good thoughts your way!

11. Erinn Musgrove

Erinn Musgrove Rookie

Feb 20, 2017

Hi there! I am a first grade teacher in Indianapolis Indiana. I am currently on an emergency permit while I'm trying to pass these Pearson elementary tests. My last test to pass is the social studies section. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, study materials, questions or answers they remember. Anything will be greatly appreciated

12. Erinn Musgrove

Erinn Musgrove Rookie

Feb 20, 2017

Do you have
    st
    if you have any material for the social studies part, I would really appreciate it

13. Erinn Musgrove

Erinn Musgrove Rookie

Feb 20, 2017

If you have any study materials for the social studies part I would appreciate it

14. Erinn Musgrove

Erinn Musgrove Rookie

Feb 20, 2017

I know this was from a while ago but did you ever find good social studies content study stuff

15. lphinkle

lphinkle Rookie

Feb 21, 2017

Has anyone used the 240tutoring study guides/test??
    Just wondering if it would be worth paying for. I just want to get these dang tests over with so I can start applying.

16. ceb79

ceb79 New Member

Feb 22, 2017

Indiana Life Science License Exam
    Has anyone purchased the MoMetrix study material, is it worth it? or the Indiana Secrets Test Prep Material?

Any other helpful study tools?

17. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Feb 22, 2017

I did use 240. It was somewhat helpful. I used them to pass the Social Studies and did pass on the first time, but they were not helpful on Science or Math. The best thing I have ever used is Barron's books- anything by them. Look in your public library so you don't have to pay.

18. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Feb 22, 2017

Hi,
    Social Studies- use anything by Barron's. Also, I checked out books by Joy Hakim. She has a great Social Studies/ American History curriculum that helps you review. Last, check out advance picture books. They do a great job of helping you understand and remember the different parts of history.

19. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Feb 22, 2017

Did you see my answers?

20. Erinn Musgrove

Erinn Musgrove Rookie

Feb 23, 2017

Do you have any notes for the Social Studies Part?